Gransnet forums

Health

DIY smear tests

(27 Posts)
Eloethan Sun 28-Feb-21 11:50:59

Apparently these tests are being considered. I just wondered how these could replace a visit to the surgery nurse. In my experience, having a smear test wasn't that simple. I wonder how easy and accurate these tests would be.

Peasblossom Sun 28-Feb-21 12:11:31

I’ve always found them uncomfortable to say the least. I’m not sure I could do that to myself?

Shandy57 Sun 28-Feb-21 12:13:05

I found my last one really painful, not sure I could do it to myself either.

Grannybags Sun 28-Feb-21 12:15:44

I had to change positions several times before the Nurse could complete the task! How would you know if you had done it properly?

EllanVannin Sun 28-Feb-21 12:19:32

No thanks. The test has to reach the lining of the womb for collection of cells and in some women a speculum is needed.

Peasblossom Sun 28-Feb-21 12:23:40

Actually it’s getting increasingly hard to bend enough to see what’s down there?

FannyCornforth Sun 28-Feb-21 12:23:41

They're trialling them in certain areas of the UK with women who are overdue.
I'm over two years over due! I must get onto the GP...
Yes, I had an awfully painful one once. When I squealed the horrible nurse said nastily 'it's because your cervix is the wrong shape'. hmm
I've since been told that there is nothing remarkable or incorrect about it all.

Grandmabatty Sun 28-Feb-21 12:40:16

They aren't actually smear tests as they have to be carried out by a nurse or doctor. It's apparently impossible to see your own cervix although I haven't looked! They are pre smear tests.

JaneJudge Sun 28-Feb-21 12:42:23

Surely a man has come up with this solution? I am overdue too. They don't take cells from your cervix either, they check the health visually and see if there are any growths etc

Grannynannywanny Sun 28-Feb-21 12:47:03

From what I’ve read it’s a vaginal swab rather than the smear test we’re used to having. It’s a highly sensitive swab, like a long cotton bud, which detects abnormal cells anywhere in the vagina. The swab won’t be taken from the cervix.

In a traditional smear test a speculum is used to open up the vagina to give a clear view of the cervix at the top end of it. If the nurse doesn’t manage to brush cells specifically from the cervix the test is void.

This self test kit will be for a vaginal swab rather than a cervical smear so much simpler to do. The info I read said any woman who is able to use a tampon will find it simple to do.

EllanVannin Sun 28-Feb-21 12:51:26

I would say that this is possibly necessary to those who remain sexually active.
Cervical cancers are now becoming common in younger women.
Are HPV vaccines still given to 16-18 year old schoolgirls ? I remember one of my GD's having a vaccination for this some years back.

BlueSky Sun 28-Feb-21 12:52:37

Thanks Grannynanny that explains it! I commented to my DH that it was impossible for any woman to do a DIY smear test!

JaneJudge Sun 28-Feb-21 13:01:39

EllanVannin

I would say that this is possibly necessary to those who remain sexually active.
Cervical cancers are now becoming common in younger women.
Are HPV vaccines still given to 16-18 year old schoolgirls ? I remember one of my GD's having a vaccination for this some years back.

yes and they have started giving them to boys, my son had one in January (he is 13, yr8)

JaneJudge Sun 28-Feb-21 13:02:28

It made me laugh as he said, so will it stop me getting cervical cancer? and I said, I don't know, do you have a cervix and he thought about it for a second and laughed smile

Grannynannywanny Sun 28-Feb-21 13:04:39

EllanVannin my granddaughter was given her hpv vaccination age 12 in last year of primary school. I think I’m correct saying the boys also receive it.

Grannynannywanny Sun 28-Feb-21 13:06:31

JaneJudge ?

Shinamae Sun 28-Feb-21 13:09:35

I had one a few years ago involving a speculum, I nearly shot through the roof with the pain ?‍♀️

Anitae Sat 06-Mar-21 16:55:42

I've just had results of a smear test and it says I have hpv but no abnormal cells. I have to have another smear test in a years time. The last smear was in 2015. It was clear then so I assume that I contracted hpv sometime in the last 6 years. Does anyone know anymore about this and all I'm thinking is I'm so glad I had the smear.

Grannynannywanny Sat 06-Mar-21 17:38:29

Anitae it’s explained quite well on this NHS site if you want to have a read through it.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/human-papilloma-virus-hpv/

Anitae Sat 06-Mar-21 18:35:53

Thank you grannynannywanny that's so helpful and explained so simply

Grannynannywanny Sat 06-Mar-21 18:40:38

Anitae you can feel reassured by the fact that no abnormal cells are present.

Gwyneth Sat 06-Mar-21 18:45:09

Yes thank you grannynanny it says ‘screening is offered to all women and people with a cervix’. Who else has a cervix apart from a woman???

Grannynannywanny Sat 06-Mar-21 18:57:28

It does sound an odd way to say it. I suppose it’s allowing for the fact that not all women have a cervix and therefore won’t need screened. My daughter had a hysterectomy due to fibroids and had the option of keeping her cervix or having it removed along with her uterus. She decided to let it go as well. So now she doesn’t need to attend for screening.

Gwyneth Sat 06-Mar-21 19:24:00

That’s true granny I must admit I didn’t think about women who might have had their cervix removed. I hope all is well with your daughter now.

Nanna58 Sat 06-Mar-21 19:46:36

I don’t think I’m bendy enough or have long enough arms!!?