Gransnet forums

Health

Vaccines for Unpaid Carers

(11 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 06:46:44

Hello Everyone
Yesterday I found out that carers (ie people who care in an 'amateur' capacity, as it were, as opposed to professional carers) are now in line for the vaccine.
Apparently we are in the same group (Group 6) as those age 50 - 60.
So if this applies to you, an AC or a loved one it might be worth knowing.
The government are relying on GP records for this information, so the carer needs to be registered as such with their practice. Most practices have an online form to do this.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 06:48:02

PS you do not need to be in receipt of carers allowance.

MayBee70 Fri 05-Mar-21 07:27:23

That’s so good to know. A friend of ours who’s husband is having cancer treatment has been called in to be vaccinated. I think the surgeries are doing an amazing job contacting the relevant groups.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 07:34:03

That's good to know too MayBee.
I really hope I get called up (receive my papers!) soon.
I only registered with the GP as a carer yesterday, but I've already had an email from them saying that my details have been updated.

Franbern Fri 05-Mar-21 09:00:01

My (No.2) daughter in her late forties, is registered as her hubbies carer - not paid, has already received her first jab. Felt she should have been entitled to this as she is (and has been all term), in school every day with Key workers/vulnerable pupils. However, that did not entitle her to be vaccinated, her registration as a carer did.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 09:25:55

Franbern I've heard that some vaccination centres are vaccinating carers who attend with their caree as standard.
When I went with DH it was obvious that I was his carer, and that I'm disabled myself. I also mentioned that I'm a teacher.
When I asked if it was possible to do me, she just said that she would add my name to a list.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 09:26:54

Forgot to add, that's very good news for your daughter. I'm sure that she feels so much safer.

FannyCornforth Sat 13-Mar-21 11:48:24

I got 'called up' yesterday!!!
I'm booked in for 22nd March smile
So pleased and relieved

suziewoozie Sat 13-Mar-21 11:55:40

It’s so useful when someone puts this type of information out on GN. It’s easy to assume everyone knows but there’s no such thing as over providing information.

FannyCornforth Sat 13-Mar-21 12:01:49

Thank you Suzie. I only found out because I was searching for general 'carers' information.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 14-Mar-21 02:40:44

DD2 has just been notified, unfortunately as she can’t walk outdoors at the moment she’s had to delay it, but she has booked both jabs online, the first one is in April when she will be ok to walk in on her own.
Just need DD1 to be vaccinated now.