Gransnet forums

Health

Bladder inflammation

(12 Posts)
Lucca Sat 06-Mar-21 08:43:53

Apparently this is my current problem. Had lots of scans and an undignified camera investigation! Consultant said no alcohol or caffeine which I’ve stuck to for five weeks and things are better but not totally. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this ?

Iam64 Sat 06-Mar-21 09:02:33

My only experience of this was linked to other areas of inflammation. Have you had blood tests?

Hetty58 Sat 06-Mar-21 09:08:09

My friend's mother had it, started drinking some Kefir daily - and problem solved. It could be worth a try.

Liz46 Sat 06-Mar-21 09:09:15

I had this and eventually realised that I was not emptying my bladder properly. It doesn't empty as easily as it used to and I now spend more time sitting on the loo putting a bit of effort into it. I hope this helps someone.

Franbern Sat 06-Mar-21 09:23:04

Several years ago a (retired) senior nurse at one of my groups made the comment that the reason that women are more likely than men to have bladder problems as they get older is the way the do 'their wee'.

So many of us will sit on the loo and lean forward, which means that we do not fully empty our bladder. Men, of course do theirs standing up, so cannot assume that position and have help from gravity.

If women always got into the habit when sitting on the loo of sitting bolt upright whilst passing water, it would help in preventing lots of UTI and similar bladder problems.

Niobe Sat 06-Mar-21 09:35:33

I totally agree Franbern! Like many women I was sitting and leaning forward but one day as I leaned back after having a wee I realised there was still more to come. Since then I always sit with my back straight.
I remember reading somewhere that women should wee in the shower as they begin the shower as the best position for totally emptying the bladder is when you are standing ! Men have it easy!!

NotAGran55 Sat 06-Mar-21 10:02:16

Perhaps a course of Vagifem may help , as everything in that area is connected due to proximity. Thinning of the walls with ageing can cause problems all around the area.

Lucca Sat 06-Mar-21 10:28:25

Thank you all for responding! I shall try the Kefir. Is vagefem prescription ?

Lucca Sat 06-Mar-21 10:30:38

Hetty58

My friend's mother had it, started drinking some Kefir daily - and problem solved. It could be worth a try.

Hetty would you be able to recommend a brand ? I’m not the kind of person to make their own !

Lucca Sat 06-Mar-21 10:31:54

NotAGran55

Perhaps a course of Vagifem may help , as everything in that area is connected due to proximity. Thinning of the walls with ageing can cause problems all around the area.

Actually that may not be right for me as I had oestrogen positive breast cancer ten years ago.

Blossoming Sat 06-Mar-21 11:23:51

A tip given to me by a rehab nurse years ago. When you go for a wee, after you think you’ve finished raise yourself up off the seat a few inches. The retained wee will come out. Do it two or three times if you need to. It’s not just your bladder that retains urine, the ‘pipe work’ does too.

Homemade barley water will not cure bladder inflammation but it can help to prevent recurrences. It’s roughly half a cup of Pearl barley to 5 cups of water. Rinse the barley under the cold tap, put the barley and water in a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain the water into a jug and you can use the barley in cooking. It is a bit like thin wallpaper paste but a spoonful of honey and a squirt of lemon juice make it taste better. I tend to just hold my nose and gulp it down!

henetha Sat 06-Mar-21 11:30:07

A doctor told me years ago to drink lemon barley water regularly. They make it in other flavours now as well.
It's good for kidneys and bladder etc. apparently.
I didn't know we could make our own, Blossoming, so thanks for that. I'll give it a go.