Gransnet forums

Health

Sinus problems and hay fever

(28 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 08-Mar-21 11:19:07

I have always had problems with my sinuses, it is a bit of an inherited thing, and other members of my family have the same thing. It is a very fine balancing act, trying to live with it, without constantly resorting to taking pills or using nasal sprays (which I used to use ALL the time, but have weaned myself off).

I also have hay fever, which with sinus problems isn't great.

Now it is warm, I am starting to wake up in the mornings completely congested, needing to take decongestants and pain killers for the ensuing headache. But I REALLY don't like taking painkillers every day. I can take an antihistimine before bed which helps a little, but not enough.

It's so uncomfortable and unpleasant. Has anyone got any tips?

cornishpatsy Mon 08-Mar-21 11:46:50

Same here, I give in and take medication most days but would rather not thinking it cannot be good to take long term.

Before I go to sleep I put Vick up my nose, still not sure if it helps, by mid-afternoon I am taking Sinus meds.

I have tried nasal washes to stop the nasal drip but they only work for me at the time of using.

Squiffy Mon 08-Mar-21 12:48:40

I use Sterimar saline spray when it's really bad. Recently, I've also bought Olbas spray, as opposed to the oil, which seems to help. Other than that, I've used Nasofed, Sinuforce and saline, which all come in pocket-sized sprays. They all help, but my sinuses seem to be a challenge too far for anything to permanently cure the issues!

NotSpaghetti Mon 08-Mar-21 13:00:50

My husband has this but now is sleeping well. We bought this:
www.breathingspace.co.uk/air-purifiers-c1/blueair-203-slim-smokestop-air-purifier-with-hepasilent-technology-p154
We bought a second-hand case and bought a new filter.
He's had it maybe 3 years now and we change the filter as per hours used. The difference was fantastic.

GagaJo Mon 08-Mar-21 13:04:17

Oooo worth knowing NotSpagetti. I used to use a humidifier which seemed to help.

My granny had sinus washouts at hospital, but still had problems afterwards, so I can't see the point of medical intervention.

Has anyone tried a neti pot? I would do anything really that helped me avoid taking medication.

M0nica Mon 08-Mar-21 13:52:42

Like others I have tried everything I can think of. I saw the 'nurse-practioner', the problem was obviously considered to lowly to see the GP, she just said it was post-nasal drip and speak to a pharmicist.

I followed the link, but at £255, the equipment is a bit pricy to buy without trying it out first

keepingquiet Mon 08-Mar-21 15:53:32

My GP recommended nasal washes combined with beconase spray for a couple of weeks. I was sceptical about the nasal washes but it was so simple and effective. Just salt water sniffed up your nose from the palm of your hand. Felt a bit I imagined sniffing cocaine would be! A bit messy but that was a year ago and no problems since.

NotSpaghetti Mon 08-Mar-21 18:17:15

M0nica we found the "case" (like a PC case but with a fan inside) on a second hand site and bought a new filter for it. The filters aren't cheap but they take out all the pollen and pollutants in the air. They are genuinely HEPA filters as used in hospitals. I've seen a do-it-yourself version with cable-ties on a fan but if you try this, the point is to make sure the air circulates through it - it must filter the air several times an hour.

We run ours on fast for 15 mins or so ahead of going to bed and then on low (quiet) overnight. It means that even in summer my husband can enjoy sleeping with the window open.

It has not cured his nasal issues but it has made it possible to sleep comfortably through the night.

If I can find a link to the do-it-yourself version I'll post it here.
To be honest, I was desperate to find something to help him and was driven to this. I also was put off by the cost initially which is why I bought 2nd hand. Now of course I'd be happy to buy new - and have in fact recently offered one to my youngest son who has similar problems.

NotSpaghetti Mon 08-Mar-21 18:19:23

The salty sniff thing did not help my husband I'm afraid. And yes, he does still need the beconase (or generic)... but not at night.

H1954 Mon 08-Mar-21 18:25:30

This may sound a bit obscure but it works for me.......as sinuses are holes in bone that become congested it was recommended to me to try tapotement therapy. I use an electric toothbrush on my upper teeth and occasionally just hold it against my cheekbone. Apparently, electric razors have the same effect. The very fine vibrations stimulate the sinus pores. I have told a few others about this and they all agree that it helps.

Squiffy Wed 10-Mar-21 10:32:14

H1954 That sounds interesting! I think I'll give it a go, it can't do any harm. In fact, I've just realised that, when my sinuses are really painful, I automatically tap them - nature's way of trying to do something? So, vibration may well help. Thank you for the suggestion smile

vampirequeen Wed 10-Mar-21 14:22:48

You need to see your GP. I used to wake up choking. Now I take fexofenadine and use a steroid inhaler every night. It really helps.

GagaJo Wed 10-Mar-21 14:52:44

I've been to the GP so many times it could be a revolving door. Nothing they have suggested or prescribed has worked.

I might try the electric toothbrush thing. And I need to make more effort to do nasal washouts.

BigBertha1 Wed 10-Mar-21 14:56:25

I was in real trouble with day after day of acute allergic rhinitis followed by a day of sinus pain when it started to dry up. All antihistamines had stopped working. I have been prescribed Fexafenadine Hydrochloride 180mg which works like a charm. I am a happy bunny.

Amberone Wed 10-Mar-21 15:00:54

I've been waking up a lot recently with congestion and sinus problems - never had any problems until about a year ago when I actually had to take tablets my head was so bad. I was interested in the air purifier suggestion as I have a Dyson fan and air purifier that I haven't used for ages. It's usually only used when the weather is really hot. So last night I put it on before going to bed for half an hour and left it on all night on low. This morning I didn't feel quite so congested but don't know if that's down to the air purifier or just a fluke - some mornings are always worse than others. So I'll use it overnight for the next few weeks and see if things change.

H1954 Wed 10-Mar-21 15:34:47

Squiffy

H1954 That sounds interesting! I think I'll give it a go, it can't do any harm. In fact, I've just realised that, when my sinuses are really painful, I automatically tap them - nature's way of trying to do something? So, vibration may well help. Thank you for the suggestion smile

I hope it helps Squiffy! My late Dad used to suffer with sinus congestion and pain. I told him to try resting his electric razor against his cheek bone (cutting blades removed) and he got huge relief too!

NotSpaghetti Wed 10-Mar-21 17:33:55

Amberone I do hope it helps.
I have my fingers crossed for you.
I don't know the Dyson but it's definitely worth a try.

Puzzled Mon 15-Mar-21 09:59:24

Having had BAD headaches, lasting for 3 days or more, Doc advised having sinues drained. They were flushed.
Hardly even one headache since, but very susceptible to pollen, etc.
Washing Up liquid, newsprint, some perfumes, sometimes apparently nothing, can bring on a short term sneezing bout. Repeated nose blowing is quickest method of clearing it, The procedure must have made the nasal lining much more sensitive.
As an alternative to the headaches, it is far and away preferable.

GagaJo Mon 15-Mar-21 10:47:17

It is spring now where I live and I am now waking up EVERY morning with a sinus headache. Not so bad on the days I don't work. I take pain killers, go back to bed/sleep and when I wake for the 2nd time, headache gone and congestion is improved.

On work days, however, it is bad. I start work at 8.15 so don't have time to wait for the pain killers to kick in and if I am unable to relax and wait for them to work, sometimes the headache persists all day. Last week, it got so bad, I started to vomit with it and the whole thing meant 24 hours in bed, very unwell.

I took an antihistimine last night. I still had the headache and congestion in the morning, requiring pain killers, although the congestion wasn't quite as bad. I do think it is something to do with the pollen count aggravating an already existing problem.

annodomini Mon 15-Mar-21 10:59:24

I used to have sinus infections frequently, but the one-sided blockage which lasted a year before diagnosis and treatment was something else. It wasn't painful, but I couldn't breathe through that side, and it smelt and tasted bad. Eventually a scan showed it clearly and surgery cleared what pathology revealed to be a 'fungal ball'. Goodness knows where I got that but it was wonderful to be rid of it. It hasn't recurred nor have the previous sinus infections. The consultant prescribed Dymista spray which I use night and morning. He also diagnosed an allergy to tree pollens which is also helped by the spray and the anti-histamines I take at night.

Hetty58 Mon 15-Mar-21 11:12:25

GagaJo, yes, here we go again with the blasted tree pollen. I wake up and blow my nose - over and over again!

I've weaned myself off decongestants. They further irritate my nose lining and only help temporarily. They are not recommended for those with high blood pressure.

I use the saltwater Vicks Vapospray instead and it's just as good. A little coconut oil in the nostrils calms things down (and maybe catches some pollen too).

We're all different. My brother uses Beconase - but I can't tolerate it. I find the non-drowsy antihistamines have no effect on me either, so it's good old Piriton, at night, that brings some relief.

Redhead56 Mon 15-Mar-21 13:14:37

I have always had rhinitis since childhood my Doctor prescribes Nasonex I try not to use it too much. I use Vicks vapour rub to stop irritation around my nose.

Ashcombe Mon 15-Mar-21 13:29:44

After several courses of antibiotics and a sinus wash which didn’t improve my sinus problems, I visited a health food shop where they gave me some foul tasting medicine and kyolic garlic tablets. The medicine cleared the infection and I continued with the kyolic garlic as a preventative until I retired from teaching. Now I just take a basic daily garlic capsule and I can’t remember when I last had a sinus problem.

GagaJo Mon 15-Mar-21 13:40:58

Interesting Ashcombe!

Was it a national chain health food shop, or an independent?

Did you use decongestant pills Hetty, or spray? I have to say, I find the spray works really well for me but it worried me, using it all the time, so gave it up about 6 month ago. I take pills now. The most I take them is once a day usually. But I would rather it was only once a week or so really.

Parsley3 Mon 15-Mar-21 16:47:52

H1954

This may sound a bit obscure but it works for me.......as sinuses are holes in bone that become congested it was recommended to me to try tapotement therapy. I use an electric toothbrush on my upper teeth and occasionally just hold it against my cheekbone. Apparently, electric razors have the same effect. The very fine vibrations stimulate the sinus pores. I have told a few others about this and they all agree that it helps.

I am going to try this, thank you. I have always had sinus problems and very little helps.