Gransnet forums

Health

Burnt toast

(25 Posts)
Granva Sat 10-Apr-21 10:53:16

My OH always eats his daily toast burnt black. Really likes it like this and always has done. It worries me though, as I have a memory of reading some years back that it isn't good for you, even carcinogenic? Does anyone remember this? and how can I persuade him to keep it a more normal colour?

tanith Sat 10-Apr-21 10:59:27

Yes i think you are correct i was always telling DH off for eating his toast and buns burnt. Also would eat burnt sausages etc off the BBQ. He took no notice but apart from warning him I'm not sure what else you can do.

BlueBelle Sat 10-Apr-21 11:04:17

I read where burnt stuff is carcinogenic a long time ago around the time we were told about plastic water bottles and heat etc
Not heard anything since

Polarbear2 Sat 10-Apr-21 11:05:20

Makes your hair curl ??

BlueBelle Sat 10-Apr-21 11:23:13

Isn’t that crusts polarbear

Jaxjacky Sat 10-Apr-21 11:44:15

It’s fine according to cancer research uk, they label it as a myth.

BlueSky Sat 10-Apr-21 11:54:47

Another myth like fat/salt/coffee/wine etc? confused

Polarbear2 Sat 10-Apr-21 12:07:35

BlueBelle

Isn’t that crusts polarbear

Hmm. Maybe. ??.

Kamiso Sat 10-Apr-21 12:13:14

One of the patients on the kidney dialysis unit always asked for burnt toast. He would ask for it to be incinerated again if it wasn’t up to standard. We had to remember to open all the doors and windows to stop the smoke alarms going off.

Baggs Sat 10-Apr-21 12:19:25

The carbon on burnt toast is good for you if you've had an upset stomach.

Lots of things are said to be carcinogenic without the risk actually being very high. There are plenty of very well known high risk things. I don't think I'd worry about your OH's toast if I were you, granva.

Granva Sat 10-Apr-21 17:41:24

Thank you, everyone, I feel a bit better about it now. Still hate the smell though!

Puzzled Sat 10-Apr-21 17:46:18

No! It sets off the smoke alarm, and you can't stop it!
And the crumbs go everywhere.

lemongrove Sat 10-Apr-21 17:53:56

In the days before everyone got a toaster, and toast was always made under the grill or over the fire ( we had a toasting fork!)
My mother always burnt the toast.Only when I left home did I ever eat a slice of toast that hadn’t been scraped first.

Whiff Sat 10-Apr-21 18:43:47

When I young there was a bakery near my nan's house. He had 8 customers who always wanted a burnt large crusty cottage loaf everyday. Thinking about the bakery he made the best lardy cakes around. The bottom was always crispy and top crunchy with sugar and plump fruit in the middle. We always had greasy fingers after eating one.

Jaxjacky Sat 10-Apr-21 18:47:31

BlueSky merely stating what their website states, if you look, they emphasise other dietary choices that are not advised.

timetogo2016 Sat 10-Apr-21 18:53:02

LOL,my parents told me it was good for your teeth, yeh right.
Iv`e loved ever since but reallybelieve they didn`t want to waste money bless them.

olddudders Sat 10-Apr-21 18:53:40

Maybe not carcinogenic, but I certainly knew a chap who died from cancer due to burnt toast. He was forever burning toast, and 1 burnt toast crumb had become lodged deep in his gum, unknown to him, and eventually he had toothache. A dental x-ray revealed a developing tumour in his jaw, and he underwent surgery, but was dead within 18 months. It was the oncologist who diagnosed the toast crumb as the likely cause.

Redhead56 Sat 10-Apr-21 18:54:04

My husband has burnt toast and it always sets off the smoke alarm. I used to nag him about the smoke but I just let him get on with it now. It will save him buying charcoal toothpaste to clean his teeth!

Blossoming Sat 10-Apr-21 19:16:34

It can be used as an emergency treatment in cases of accidental poisoning.

I like burnt toast, but only if it’s thick bread ?

BlueSky Sun 11-Apr-21 09:37:40

Jaxjacky

BlueSky merely stating what their website states, if you look, they emphasise other dietary choices that are not advised.

Jaxjacky sorry I wasn’t questioning what you said, just commenting on the fact that we have had scares through the years about various food items causing cancer/being bad for you.

Aveline Sun 11-Apr-21 09:44:32

We always prefer 'well fired' rolls. Ooh I fancy one.

M0nica Mon 12-Apr-21 08:20:46

Lets face it, it is now almost impossible to do anything, eat anything or use anything that someone at some time hasn't done research on that shows that your chance of some cancer doubles if you eat it, do it use it. Your chances go from 1 in a 10 million to 2 in 10 million.

Baggs Wed 14-Apr-21 11:47:05

Nicely put, M0nica. It always amazes me how people (even people who should know like my GP) don't seem to understand that if a tiny risk increases by a small amount, you still have a tiny risk.

NotSpaghetti Wed 14-Apr-21 11:52:12

The risks aren't yet known. It's about all overcooked starchy foods (potatoes, parsnips etc) - not just toast.
Here's an article from 2017:

www.wcrf.org/int/blog/articles/2017/01/burnt-toast-and-cancer-how-strong-evidence

cornishpatsy Wed 14-Apr-21 12:38:02

I remember as a teen going through a phase of eating burnt toast and cocoa made with just water. Assume I was doing it to be different or attention-seeking, don't fancy it now.