Gransnet forums

Health

Basal Carcinomas (BCC's)

(7 Posts)
Franbern Fri 16-Apr-21 09:06:47

I have had three of these cut out from my face in the past. diagnosed using biopsies. Over past few months have a whole cluster of small wart like objects come up on my left cheek. Did finally go to see GP ten days ago, who referred me to Dermatology. I was phoned by them within a week, and have an appointment today.
Amazingly, technology has moved on and I will not need any biopsies on these, they will use a special camera to photograph them and this shows what is happening underneath. Even have the telephone appointment made for me to get the results in a weeks time. Assume, then - if there is anything required any actions will be sorted out.
Just wondered if anyone on here had come across this special photographing technique which is being used.?

spottybook Fri 16-Apr-21 09:19:08

Haven’t heard of the photographing technique but have had a couple of BCC removed from my back some years ago.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 16-Apr-21 09:24:20

Yes I have. I had skin cancer on my face a couple of summers ago.

I was surprised how efficient the whole process is.

But still plaster Factor 50 HVA and HVB. every time I leave the house!

Franbern Fri 16-Apr-21 13:48:48

Very quick procedure with the cameras at the hospital. Now have to wait until next Wednesday morning tobe told of the outcome.

Ilovecheese Fri 16-Apr-21 13:53:31

This must be very new, I think it was 3 years ago that my daughter had to have treatment, and there were no cameras then.

EllanVannin Fri 16-Apr-21 13:55:31

Yes, it's an infra-red gadget that was used on a BCC I had a few years ago. It shows up cancer cells. I've usually had them removed there and then. Needless to say there are another couple that want removing as I've held back because of Covid.

Franbern Sat 17-Apr-21 08:49:30

ellanVannin - I always hold back going to GP (unless I really feel it is totally urgent) during the winter months. Always feel that the NHS is under pressure during those months. This is why, I have only just got round to approaching GP about these 'spots'. I do know that it is very stupid to leave anything that may turn out to be BCC for long, but did feel that four or five months was okay,.

I ws a littl taken aback at the speed everything happened, as I only sw GP just over a week ago, but suppose, partly because of my own history of these it comes under Oncology.

I was told, yesterday, that, according to result, I could still require biopsies. I have been sent a telephone appointment for next Wednesday morning with results, so will wait to see.

The first of these BCC's I had was close to one of my eyes, and due to me going to GP late, and then ages waiting for a hospital appointment, which was then delayed, by the time I did get proper diagnosis it had enlarged to the extent where it required plastic surgery when removed. But the worst one I had only presented as a small light area of skin. The very new Trainee GP I saw dismissed it out of hand. I had to make him refer to his mentor to get a referral.

Even the dermatologist was not sure, but did a biopsy. I had to go to the hospital then for results a few weeks later. Even I was so sure it would be negative that I turned up there with my supermarket shopping bags in my car ready to go there as soon as I left the hospital. However, they said it was positive and needed to remove it then and there. Again, they were surprised at the size of this as it was going very deep and I came out of there, quite shocked and with eight stitches in my forehead.