Gransnet forums

Health

Reflux and fresh fruit

(11 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 11-May-21 11:00:43

I have reflux and have had it for a few years after changing my diet drastically and losing weight I must say it is actually improving but not completely gone, taking omperazole 20mg, I’m now wondering as I’ve had stomach pains for the last couple mornings if I should gradually reduce some of the fruit it’s strange as I’ve been having fruit with protein yogurt for years, has anyone had pains while eating strawberries raspberries,

EllanVannin Tue 11-May-21 11:07:01

No, but they're probably too acidic for you as well as containing seeds which could be an irritant.
Our digestion isn't the same as we get older and you'll find that there maybe one or two things that you can't tolerate the same.
It's trial and error as to whether foodstuffs/ fruit are going to cause problems. Just miss out those that do.

timetogo2016 Tue 11-May-21 11:09:19

I`m guessing it`s too much acid TrendyNannie6.
Drink lots of water after you eat,that should help.

Alexa Tue 11-May-21 11:10:59

Sugar, and potato crisps, are always bad for my gastric reflux and acidity. I keep trying to give them up.

jaylucy Tue 11-May-21 11:11:57

Maybe try eating the fruit at a different time of day and see if it makes a difference.
I have found that sometimes soft fruit that is out of season , for me is still too acidic despite taking omeprazole and some yoghurts seem to be more acidic these days, depending on the brand. Some I can only eat with a squirt of honey.
Obviously, if you are still experiencing pain, see your GP.

faringdon59 Tue 11-May-21 11:14:38

I had a dreadful nights sleep last night. Up at 2.30 pm this morning taking Gaviscon Advance.
What did I have for my dessert last night?
Strawberries, raspberries and blackcurrants etc!
When will I learn?
Really need to eat at about 4.30 pm in the evening and stay away from snacks in the evening.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 11-May-21 11:37:09

I have drastically changed my diet over the last few weeks lost a stone, no rubbish all good stuff, I did wonder if it was too much fruit

keepingquiet Tue 11-May-21 12:29:20

I only eat fruit with my morning porridge- never at night unless it's with dessert which I rarely eat anyway.
Dr just put me on Omeprazole but haven't noticed any change yet.

Nancy0 Tue 11-May-21 15:32:32

I find that oranges(juice and marmalade also) upset my stomach ...it really is trial and error with regard to food. I agree that fruit early in the day is a better option. I recall many years ago being told that we should eat fruit at least 20 mins before anything else.... or 1 hour after other food,although that means we shouldn't have fruity dessert straight after dinner. Might be with a try.

timetogo2016 Thu 13-May-21 10:19:09

Dh just reminded me he also suffers your condition and he takes Rantadine you can buy over the counter, or on-line even.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 14-May-21 11:47:37

Thankyou Timetogo, I’ve stopped the fruit, I’m trying each day to have something different for breakfast this morning was porridge so far not too bad