Gransnet forums

Health

Covid 2nd vaccination

(11 Posts)
Ann2 Fri 14-May-21 17:08:48

I had my first vaccination at a vaccine centre, as I did not have my GP invite until a few days later. At the same time as booking, I was required to book my 2nd. I am extremely anxious and have been throughout this difficult COVID time and would like my 2nd vaccine as soon as possible. I do have a date for my 2nd vaccine, but it is just before the 12th week (which I know is OK), but friends in the same position as me have been offered their 2nd vaccine via the sameGP surgery as me. Checked with the surgery last week and receptionist was quite rude to me saying that it would not be until the end of the month - I ended up crying. I am now 10+ weeks and tried again today and they have sent me an invite to book for next Saturday, (only 2 days earlier, but hey, the way I am feeling at the moment that is good). So why am I worrying you may ask? Anxiety is an awful thing- concerned that I have jumped the queue, if I book GP for vaccine will my vaccination centre vaccine automatically be cancelled etc, etc, etc??? Has anyone had any experiences of changing venue for 2nd vaccine? Just looking for a listening ear I think...

Ann2 Fri 14-May-21 17:12:35

Meant to add that my friend had her vaccine at the vaccination centre and was invited by her/my GP to have 2nd at the practice. She had her first 2 days before me and had her 2nd last Saturday. I wonder, do GPs invite everyone for 2nd vaccine regardless of where they had their first? How do they choose who and when to invite - is it random?

Alegrias1 Fri 14-May-21 17:25:52

Ann2 I don't have any advice for you, I'm in Scotland and the booking system is different here. I'm sure someone will be along with some information but I just wanted to say I hope you can get over anxiety. You've got your second appointment booked and I'm sure that they will be able to manage the other appointment, you haven't jumped the queue.

My DH got an appointment for his 2nd vaccine today (hooray!). They are getting through them and every jab is one more person protected!

flowers

Blossoming Fri 14-May-21 17:54:38

I’m sure it will work out fine, you’ve got your 2nd appointment and I don’t think it matters where. I had both of mine mine via my GP, Mt. B has had his at the hub and got his 2nd jab this afternoon.

Calendargirl Fri 14-May-21 17:58:37

I would check if your vaccination centre one has been cancelled, otherwise a risk of it being wasted, if they are expecting you to turn up.

Jaxjacky Fri 14-May-21 18:02:51

As I understand it, if you book your first at a hub, not the GP, you book both at the same time, so ignore GP, your records will be updated. We’ve had ours via GP, I just waited for the second txt from GP to book jab, which I had last week, had second jab yesterday. I’m not sure you can mix hub/GP. And you need to cancel your hub appointment if not going.

NotAGran55 Fri 14-May-21 18:42:16

If you are definitely booked in via your GP then it would be advisable to log onto the NHS site and cancel your jab at the hub , enabling someone else to take it .

welbeck Fri 14-May-21 18:46:36

if i were you i would wait until you have been jabbed, then immediately, cancel the other one.
a bird in the hand...

M0nica Fri 14-May-21 19:09:38

I had my first vaccine through the GP, but when I was called for the second, I was ill with sinusitis and feeling rotten so asked to delay it. I was told that if I was that unwell they wouldn't give me the vaccine anyway.

Surgery rang me a week later to say I was being passed to the NHS as my first vaccination was Pfizer and they had no stocks of that. I had a general reminde from the NHS but everything was predicated on booking 2 jabs and there seemed to be no way of talking to a real person, so I tried to ring the surgery, without success. Then 2 days ago I was rung up and will have the vaccination at an NHS centre 15 miles away.

By that time it will be 16 weeks since the first dose.

If you have an appointment take it and get the second jab asap.

You are, anyway, very well protected by the one jab, the second jab only takes you from something like 85% protection to 90% and increases the length the protection will last.

maddyone Fri 14-May-21 19:26:29

Pfizer protection is 95/96 % after two jabs. AZ is good too, but I’m not sure of the numbers.

May7 Fri 14-May-21 19:54:38

My Dh and I booked our first jab online at a hub 20 miles away and second one was booked in for 12 weeks later. Our GP surgery sent a link this week for us to book with an earlier date with them . We have done this and cancelled the online one through website. It's very easy to do.

Anxiety is awful. It makes you question everything and ties you up in knots. thanks

When you have a calm moment contact your practice manager and explain about receptionist. There is no excuse whatsoever to be reduced to tears by someone who is there to help youangry