Gransnet forums

Health

Tight feeling around lower legs.

(13 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Wed 09-Jun-21 22:13:45

This has been bothering me for a couple of weeks. Not sure if it is related but I missed the last step as I came downstairs about three weeks ago and landed directly on my knees. My knees were very tender although I can walk alright so I have been using voltarol on my knees which have improved and not really bothering me but my lower legs are really bothering me as they feel as if a tight band ia around them though no sign of swelling. They feel fuzzy and odd. Has anyone experienced with anything like this. I haven’t been to the doctors as appointments are in short supply and the discomfort has only been really bothering me for about a fortnight. However, I am getting worried.

lemsip Wed 09-Jun-21 22:19:53

that maybe due to a circulation problem so see your doctor

welbeck Wed 09-Jun-21 23:53:54

could you go to a walk-in centre/ minor injuries centre.
i think you should seek medical advice.
let us know how you get on.
all the best.

crazyH Thu 10-Jun-21 00:02:58

I agree with lemsip - sounds like a circulation problem, but do see your GP

Lovetopaint037 Thu 10-Jun-21 06:51:08

Thank you both I am going to ring the surgery this morning.

fflur Thu 10-Jun-21 20:02:09

I have had this since April, Lovetopaint. When I walk my legs feel as if they are encased in metal bands and that I am not walking normally. I originally had pain in my right knee, went to the walk in clinic and they said it was probably a ligament sprain. My x--ray wàs normal, no arthritis etc. Then it spread to the other leg so it can't be sprained ligaments. I have seen a physiotherapist privately and have exercises to do. I have started going for short walks along the flat now (canal towparth) with walking poles. Nothing seems to make much difference but I have convinced myself it won't be forever and I will get better in time. I would be interested in what your surgery say.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 10-Jun-21 20:45:23

Hello all. Went to surgery and saw a doctor who said I needed to go to A & E. She also gave me a blood test form to book at another hospital. A very nice doctor at the A &E gave me the once over to check my circulation, back, blood pressure and then said that it was important to get the blood test. He thought the doctor should have done all that and I hadn’t needed A&E. He then went into the importance of why the blood test was needed as multiple causes for it including diabetes, thyroid trouble, lack of some vitamins and testing for something else in the blood which I can’t recall etc. So have booked the earliest appointment which is on the 25th.. I am due to have a medical on the 29th June as I have a hernia appointment booked at Benenden on the 10th August. So not sure whether they will still do it. Have to see. fflur I do hope you improve but perhaps you should visit your doctor to get a blood test as you want to ensure you have had all the appropriate investigations. Thank you all for replying.

fflur Fri 11-Jun-21 20:47:43

Thanks Lovetopaint, I'll get back to my Drs Monday. I think it must be some sort of a medical thing. I had restless legs before but very mildly but combined with the knee pain it's through the roof. My daughter had very restless legs and was prescribed a high dose of iron. I think they are only restless because of the knee pain. Thanks for spurring me into action.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 13-Jun-21 09:02:19

Do hope you get this sorted ffleur. Let us know how you get on. From one hop a long Cassidy to another all good wishes.

PippaZ Sun 13-Jun-21 09:15:06

I am not a doctor but I have neuropathy in my feet and legs and the feeling sounds very like your description. I wonder why the doctor didn't do the tests - perhaps he thought you would get the results quicker confused It is very common in the over 55s. I had undiagnosed low thyroid for some time and that can cause it as can a lack of some vitamins, CKD and some medications + a long, long list of other possibles.. Really, I get the impresson that they don't actually know unless it's obvious grin.

I hope you know soon whatever it is.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 13-Jun-21 10:17:42

Thank you PippaZ.Blood tests are all different now around here. Only a few places available for them and had to book on line. Sorry you have this and hope your blood test results helped in some way. My brother has had neuropathy for years and he can’t feel his legs and has pain. No one has discovered the cause. He is younger than me and I am almost 80 so hope I don’t get into the same state as he is in before I pop my clogs. The only thing that has been suggested in his case was that certain gas exposures could be the cause as he worked in operating theatres all his working life!

PippaZ Sun 13-Jun-21 10:25:43

If it is that pm me. I found the consultant useless when it came to giving me ideas of what I could do to help myself but there are things you can do. When I asked my consultant what I could do for myself he just said he would make me another appointment! I think anything is better if you feel you have agency regarding it. Good luck!

Lovetopaint037 Sun 13-Jun-21 19:16:25

Horrible feeling PippaZ that you are right. Nothing has been done for my brother. What is getting me down is the feeling that it is going to get worse, not better.