Gransnet forums

Health

Seems Chickenpox is doing the rounds!

(15 Posts)
bikergran Sat 12-Jun-21 19:38:59

Gson 6 woke up Tuesday with few spots, before the end of the day he had many many more, now almost covered in them and also has them in his mouth.

When ringing the school, 6 other parents had rung with the same..(no doubt more over the week)

Apparently you only need to be in a room with the Chickenpox virus for around 15 mins to contract it.

Also gs year have and the next year have to isolate as one child in year 1 tested positive for Covid.

It does make you wonder how things are going to be normal.

They are all still in their bubbles but obviously it looks like it hasn't worked.

Deedaa Sat 12-Jun-21 19:45:24

My three GSs have all had it. Hopefully the one who has had it twice won't get it again! I didn't think I'd ever had it but I've never caught it from my children or the grandsons so I must have done.

tanith Sat 12-Jun-21 19:46:45

My Great GDs nursery has 12 children off with it she’s managed to avoid it for a month but this morning there were the tell tale spots.

Redhead56 Sat 12-Jun-21 20:01:31

Omg my Gd twins have been ill with a virus over two weeks around about what area is chickenpox prevalent?

bikergran Sat 12-Jun-21 20:14:56

Lancashire here.

Redhead56 Sat 12-Jun-21 20:39:38

My DD is in Lancashire I will inform her thanks.

bikergran Sat 12-Jun-21 21:01:41

North Lancashire just outside Ribble Valley area.

Whiff Sat 12-Jun-21 23:30:04

Once my grandson's were old enough their parents paid for them to have the chicken pox vaccine . It was 2 doses and think it cost £40ish. So they wouldn't catch it.

Remember well my children having it. They were covered from scalp to bottoms of their feet. Used oily calamine on the spots. It was very good it stayed on the blisters. Not like the ordinary calamine which once dried flaked off.

Like all childhood diseases it can be deadly. Trouble even today people just dismiss them as part of childhood. Wish the vaccine had been around when mine were young.
They both have a chicken pox scar.

V3ra Sun 13-Jun-21 01:22:27

Bathing in plain water and bicarbonate of soda can help soothe and dry out the chickenpox spots.

Nannee49 Sun 13-Jun-21 06:09:40

Slightly off thread but a heads up to all grans - I've recently had shingles (with the chicken pox virus possibly being reactivated by long covid). I had no idea how incredibly painful it is and how the pain can hang around for a long time as PHN (postherpetic neuralgia) especially intense in over 50's or those with compromised immune systems. So please, if you're able to get vaccinated against shingles, do so. It's horrible.
Best wishes to all the little ones suffering with chicken pox toothanks

vegansrock Sun 13-Jun-21 07:08:09

I don’t know why the chicken pox vaccine isn’t routinely given to young children. My youngest GC has had the vaccine.

nanna8 Sun 13-Jun-21 07:11:13

I had it twice, once as a child and once in my 60s. I have also had the shingles vaccination ? because I figure maybe I am prone to that kind of illness. The second time I got it it affected my eyes, most unpleasant.

grandMattie Sun 13-Jun-21 07:15:24

The year I was 40, in January I got mumps;in April I got German measles (that was horrible as it gave me inflamed joints), then in June, I got chicken pox and finally, in July, we moved to another part of the country. A year to remember.
However unpleasant these diseases are, get vaccinated and get them young!

Whiff Sun 13-Jun-21 07:37:17

The shingles vaccine is available on NHS once you are 70.

Franbern Sun 13-Jun-21 08:05:12

Can remember my children all getting Chicken Pox. No vaccine for this back then. So, all six caught it from each other. As have been said, by V3a bicarb of soda in their baths, plus liberal use of calomine did help. (Back then, I was able to purchaein BOots very lage packets of Bicarb).

They were then aged between 18 months and 9 years of age - none of them were actually ill with this, just itchy. The youngest only developed five spots on his back. The oldest has dark skin and the marks lasted for well over a year.

It is someting that goes around most years, and with the children all back in school, not at all surprised it is around now.
Showing we are getting back to 'normal'!!!