Gransnet forums

Health

Lens replacement surgery

(14 Posts)
GrandmaKT Sat 12-Jun-21 21:39:02

Hi, I'm considering having lens replacement surgery, but would like to hear from any grans/ grandads who have had it done.
My eyes have just degraded with age (so no astigmatism or anything complicated).
I'm wondering how much of a permanent solution it is. If you have had it done, has it lasted or do you now have to wear glasses again? Anywhere you would recommend to have it done if I do proceed?

ayse Sat 12-Jun-21 21:51:59

My friend had it done and is now looking to have it done again. To do this the surgeon needs her last prescription for glasses to know how to proceed. So it isn’t a permanent solution and you should keep your current prescription so that should it need to be redone you have the information required.

Having said that she has been very happy to have had the benefit of a glasses free life.

Personally, even if I had the finances I wouldn’t go down that particular route. Good luck, whatever you decide.

crazyH Sat 12-Jun-21 21:57:20

I like my glasses - it hides my dark circles ?

GrandmaKT Sun 13-Jun-21 14:38:31

Thanks ayse, do you know how long it is since your friend's first operation?
I'm 'bumping' this, as I'm sure there must be some grandsnetters who have had this done? I thought it was a relatively common procedure?

Gr8dame Sun 13-Jun-21 15:09:39

I had mine done about 8 years ago at Cabot Circus in Bristol after my sister recommended it. I was over 70 at the time and very nervous - previously I had to put my specs on before I could see to be able to get out of bed safely in the morning. One day I knocked my specs off the bedside table and had to scrabble on the floor & feel for my specs before I could get myself downstairs so decided I had to do something about it.
I really shouldn’t have worried because the procedure was so straightforward and although the eye had to remain covered until the next day I had perfect vision straight away and I couldn’t wait to go back to have my other eye done. I haven’t had to wear my glasses since and can read, knit and sew etc. easily. It’s the best thing I’ve ever done and I was able to pay in instalments. It’s a bit like being on a conveyor belt having it done privately and I would advise having someone to take you to the venue and collect you afterwards. I don’t care that people can see the bags under my eyes, being able to see clearly is wonderful. In the long run it is much cheaper than paying for glasses every couple of years.

GrandmaKT Sun 13-Jun-21 18:29:35

That's very positive Gr8dame, thanks so much for taking the time to post.

Floradora9 Sun 13-Jun-21 21:36:30

Very much the same as having a cataract operation . Will you have both eyes done at the same time ? I guess it will be pretty costly . My DH had a detached retina and they put a new lense in both eyes for him all for free. For the first time in 65 years he does not need to wear glasses unless for reading but I do not know if I would have it done unless it was medically required.

GrandmaKT Mon 14-Jun-21 10:36:04

Hi Floradora, yes I'm sure it won't be cheap! I'm glad it worked out well for your DH.

I did fill out a questionnaire from Optical Express on Facebook. Literally the minute I submitted it, they were on the phone trying to make an appointment, and I got cold feet and backed out! They seem to be the market leaders, but are they the best?

theworriedwell Mon 14-Jun-21 10:40:25

Floradora9

Very much the same as having a cataract operation . Will you have both eyes done at the same time ? I guess it will be pretty costly . My DH had a detached retina and they put a new lense in both eyes for him all for free. For the first time in 65 years he does not need to wear glasses unless for reading but I do not know if I would have it done unless it was medically required.

I thought it must be like a cataract operation. They've been doing them successfully for a long time so it sounds safe. I'm thinking of having it done but need to save up. Renovating the bathroom has made a dent in my money.

Freeandeasy Mon 14-Jun-21 19:01:44

I’m reading this thread with great interest. This very afternoon I had an appointment at a local private hospital for a cataract consultation. I had laser eye surgery in 1995 (I was one of the pioneers when, not like today, they only did one eye at a time and is was quite painful afterwards). Since my last eye examination two years ago the prescription in my left eye has increased massively from -0.75 to - 4.00!!! (My prescription prior to the surgery 25+ years ago was -2.25 in both eyes). My optometrist diagnosed cataracts in both eyes - the one in my right eye being mild. I am definitely going ahead with the surgery.

I had no idea there was such a thing as lens replacement. Is this something that I will need to consider in the future if another cataract develops? I am 65 at the moment.

Floradora9 Mon 14-Jun-21 21:56:23

Freeandeasy

I’m reading this thread with great interest. This very afternoon I had an appointment at a local private hospital for a cataract consultation. I had laser eye surgery in 1995 (I was one of the pioneers when, not like today, they only did one eye at a time and is was quite painful afterwards). Since my last eye examination two years ago the prescription in my left eye has increased massively from -0.75 to - 4.00!!! (My prescription prior to the surgery 25+ years ago was -2.25 in both eyes). My optometrist diagnosed cataracts in both eyes - the one in my right eye being mild. I am definitely going ahead with the surgery.

I had no idea there was such a thing as lens replacement. Is this something that I will need to consider in the future if another cataract develops? I am 65 at the moment.

You have to decide what strength of correction you want . I spoke to my consultant and my optician and the advice was if the second eye is not to be done soon after the first a full correction ( if you are pretty short sighted ) it will give you double vision . My DH had one eye done with a full correction and he could not cope even covering the second eye up . The consultant told him he had expected to see him back pretty soon as he thought this would happen . As I have already said he then got a full correction in the the eye and voila he sees perfectly without glasses. I just got a half correction .

CherylObrien85 Tue 28-Dec-21 20:23:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

CherrieSim89 Fri 31-Dec-21 04:04:01

CherrieSim89 Fri 31-Dec-21 04:04:01