Gransnet forums

Health

caffeine - good ot bd?

(22 Posts)
Fennel Thu 29-Jul-21 17:24:26

www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-is-caffeine
I'm a bit of a caffeine addict but didn't realise what a powerful drug it was until I watched a programme about its use in WW2.
to keep the forces going on the battlefield.
then later, benzedrine. Germany started it, then Churchill decided to copy the idea.
I need my 2 cups of strong coffee to get me going in the morning. It has benefits but be careful.
www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-is-caffeine

Bluebellwould Thu 29-Jul-21 17:29:47

I haven’t drunk tea or coffee for twenty years and I found that you don’t need to drink it to get going in the morning. Perhaps it’s just something you have convinced yourself of. The horrid headaches you get when you give it up suggests to me that it has a strong effect on the body, whether that’s good or bad I don’t think anyone really knows. You can read reports online stating both sides of the story with equal vigour. I gave it up due to heart palpitations and migraines, which have cleared up significantly since I stopped drinking it.

BlueSky Thu 29-Jul-21 17:35:08

Sorry I’ve given up a lot of things but won’t be giving up my two strong cups of coffee when I get up in the morning !

MayBee70 Thu 29-Jul-21 17:36:55

You realise how powerful it is if you stick to decaf for a while then have a cup of normal coffee late at night and then can’t sleep! And also what a diuretic it is. Daren’t drink non decaf if I’m travelling anywhere.

Kim19 Thu 29-Jul-21 17:44:58

Interestingly, I've just had my first cup of coffee for six months about half an hour ago. I'm keenly interested to see if I feel any obvious effects at all. I was something of an addict and, for no recognisable reason, went completely off it. Watched for withdrawal symptoms. None. Whimsically, I moved on to hot chocolate. No sensation of either advantage or otherwise. Just seemed to prefer the taste momentarily. I expect to be fully energised shortly!

Grandmajean Thu 29-Jul-21 17:52:58

Coffee you can keep - but tea ! Can't start the day without my mug of strong tea.

Casdon Thu 29-Jul-21 17:57:51

I’m the opposite to you Grandmajean, the very smell of tea turns my stomach. I love coffee, but I’m another who limits myself to two cups a day in the morning because it does keep me awake if I have it later in the day.

Magnolia62 Thu 29-Jul-21 19:47:37

I suffered severe headaches for about ten years although I mainly drank tea, and coffee only occasionally. It wasn’t until I stopped drinking both for a few weeks that I realised that I suffered from caffeine withdrawal. Now I only drink decaffeinated tea and coffee and the headaches have gone. The taste does not seem to have been compromised.

Katyj Thu 29-Jul-21 19:52:24

I’ve just been diagnosed with vestibular migraine I forgot to ask the Dr about coffee but he did say to cut down on sugar, I’ve decided to cut down anyway see if it helps .

62Granny Thu 29-Jul-21 20:00:37

I was ill last year and went off coffee for a few days, I couldn't work out why I had a headache and was really irritable , it was the withdrawal symptoms from the caffine, although I only drink at most 4 cups a day , I had to go into hospital for an operation after and went through it all again, as I was nil by mouth during that time.

Katie59 Thu 29-Jul-21 20:07:07

I can’t handle coffee and limit myself to one mug a day, tea, although it also has caffeine does not seem to affect me, so that’s my main drink, apart from water.

Jaxjacky Thu 29-Jul-21 20:43:41

I’m with you Grandmajean mug of tea, I rarely drink coffee in this country, but love a Grande crème in France.

Esspee Thu 29-Jul-21 23:14:35

I drink decaf tea and coffee. I have a very strong reaction to caffeine, my heart rate soars so I have been advised to watch my intake.

Fennel Fri 30-Jul-21 13:11:42

An article about caffeine in today's Guardian:
www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2021/jul/30/how-we-got-hooked-caffeine-podcast

aonk Fri 30-Jul-21 13:31:34

I limit myself to one cup of coffee mid morning whether I’m at home or out. It became a ritual during lockdown! That’s the only caffeine I have during the day. It does make me the need the loo quite quickly afterwards. I’ve found that if you take a painkiller with a caffeinated drink it will work more quickly but you need to check first as some have caffeine already added.

timetogo2016 Fri 30-Jul-21 13:39:39

Same here Grandmajean.
Three first thing in the morning,then one with lunch and maybe another around Fourish.

HillSteven762 Sat 21-Aug-21 16:08:49

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MawBe Sat 21-Aug-21 16:22:30

Reported

NfkDumpling Sat 21-Aug-21 16:34:06

Tim Spector who's doing all that microbiome research says caffeine (in moderation) is good for your gut microbes whether it's in coffee, tea or hot chocolate. Dark chocolate is good too. I like this man!

emmasnan Sat 21-Aug-21 16:37:54

I find caffeine makes IBS symptoms worse.

BlueBelle Sat 21-Aug-21 16:43:26

Don’t NEED coffee or tea I rarely drink tea and drink a couple of decaf coffee a day can take it or leave it I ve never never yearned for it but I m never been addicted to anything even when I was young and smoked I could take it or leave it have one one day and ten the next then never have one for a week

Lincslass Sat 21-Aug-21 16:44:19

I too like my caffeine kick in the morning, and enjoy the smell and flavour of fresh coffee. One use of caffeine is to help prevent sleep apnoea in neonatal babies, actually saw a programme that mentioned this the other evening, think it was Food Unwrapped but can’t be sure. Every day is a school day.