Gransnet forums

Health

Understanding blood test results

(9 Posts)
tanith Fri 30-Jul-21 10:55:25

I’ve just had my annual blood test results done and can now see them in ‘Patients know best’ but I don’t understand them there are so many anyone found an easy link to understanding blood tests?
The GP only contacts me if there is a problem but I’d like to understand them better as I take diabetic meds and statins Thanks.

BigBertha1 Fri 30-Jul-21 11:18:20

Try the main NHS website.

B9exchange Fri 30-Jul-21 11:18:41

Try this site, patient.info is always reliable.

patient.info/treatment-medication/blood-tests

Redhead56 Fri 30-Jul-21 11:23:25

Google NHS Blood tests Examples gives basic explanations for tests.

tanith Fri 30-Jul-21 11:25:24

Thanks everyone

BlueSky Fri 30-Jul-21 12:33:43

I found that knowing all the details of my blood tests makes me more anxious, if I notice they are just in or out of range. So I now leave it to the GP to mention it if necessary.

Pittcity Fri 30-Jul-21 13:44:02

If mine are slightly out of range my GP usually tells me to have another test in a couple of months and not to worry until then as sometimes your blood just has an off day!!!!

Do your results not have the expected healthy range (mine are usually in brackets) on them so that you can compare Tanith?

tanith Fri 30-Jul-21 14:22:51

Thanks, Pittcity the way it’s shown is really not clear some of the results have a dialogue box above them which indicates a message but you can’t access it. Mostly they are all pretty similar to previous readings I think I’ll ask the nurse to take a look on their system when I go for my diabetes physical checks next week.

Poppyred Fri 30-Jul-21 14:52:06

Lab tests online is a good source of information.