Gransnet forums

Health

Loss of taste and smell

(14 Posts)
Katyj Tue 14-Sep-21 18:38:37

I started with a sore throat yesterday, had an unsettled night nose running, sneezing , coughing. Had to phone in sick at work today. It suddenly dawned on me that I can’t smell anything, DH reckons you can’t smell when you have a cold anyway, I honestly can’t remember, it’s a long time since I had one. I’ve had two negative lateral flow tests. Should I send for a PCR just to make sure ?

FannyCornforth Tue 14-Sep-21 18:44:25

Yes

FannyCornforth Tue 14-Sep-21 18:46:03

Sorry, posted too soon.
I would, to put my mind at rest. But please don’t worry, hope that you feel better soon

GrannyLaine Tue 14-Sep-21 18:54:49

As you have symptoms, lateral flow testing is likely to be inaccurate. Definitely book a PCR test as per government guidance.

Katyj Tue 14-Sep-21 18:58:00

Thank you I did wonder if the lateral flow were accurate I don’t think your supposed to use them if you have symptoms. DH must have sneezed 30 times today don’t think we’re in for a good night ?

JaneJudge Tue 14-Sep-21 19:00:04

yes
LFT don't always pick it up. You have symptoms so you need to order a PCR

BlueBelle Tue 14-Sep-21 19:12:41

LFT are not always correct I d get a PCR for you both
There are a lot of other things going round too my g daughter has just had an acute chest infection (twice) but both times she was negative both with LFT and with PCR
She also told me a number of young people recently tested positive for TB ?

Grannynannywanny Tue 14-Sep-21 19:34:13

I heard a doctor on radio last week emphasising lateral flow tests were only for detecting those who may be symptom free and inadvertently spreading it and they’re not for anyone who has symptoms. She advised that if any symptoms we should book a PCR at a test centre.

I hope you both feel better soon.

Katyj Fri 17-Sep-21 15:25:45

Had a negative result today thank goodness. Apparently there’s a lot of people locally with the same virus similar to COVID but not COVID ?

JaneJudge Fri 17-Sep-21 15:32:19

I am glad it's negative but are you feeling better?

Katyj Fri 17-Sep-21 17:35:34

Yes I am thank you Jane, just have blocked nose and ears now?

JaneJudge Fri 17-Sep-21 17:53:54

I'm glad you are a bit better, gah re ears though! x

BlueBelle Fri 17-Sep-21 18:10:37

Yes katyJ my granddaughter had a very acute chest infection recently still coughing a bit, all her friends have been down with tonsillitis and chest infections but all negative (bar one)
She also told me she’s heard of some tb cases amongst some young ones
I guess that’s the problem with nearly 18 months lockdown when you creep out you catch every germ going

BlueBelle Fri 17-Sep-21 18:11:02

Should have said glad your ok and negative