Gransnet forums

Health

Lateral Flow Test

(14 Posts)
pensionpat Fri 22-Oct-21 18:01:07

Before seeing a physiotherapist I’ve been asked to take a lateral flow test. I’ve never done one before. The test I have had for many months has a title of COVID-19 Self-test (Rapid Antigen Test). Is this the same as a lateral flow test?

Pittcity Fri 22-Oct-21 18:02:19

Yes it is.

pensionpat Fri 22-Oct-21 20:40:55

Thank you for confirming that Pittcity.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 23-Oct-21 07:28:09

The new one is easier, just a swab up the nostril, no more retching over the throat swab.

Froglady Sat 23-Oct-21 07:34:33

Oopsadaisy1

The new one is easier, just a swab up the nostril, no more retching over the throat swab.

It's the nostril one that I find the most off putting - I can't even watch on tv when they do that part!

Katie59 Sat 23-Oct-21 08:10:27

I had to do several for travel, you do get used to it, I found the throat swab worse.

ninathenana Sat 23-Oct-21 10:25:11

Agree the new ones are much simpler with the liquid already contained in the "dropper" rather than trying to squeeze it in.

Baggs Sat 23-Oct-21 10:37:14

I find the weird tickle feeling in the nose is dealt with by scrunching up my nose while I do the swabbing. Never found the throat swab a problem.

ElaineI Sat 23-Oct-21 10:40:25

I find the throat easier though this takes less time. We do them twice a week or more often if cold symptoms.

maddyone Sat 23-Oct-21 11:28:39

I’m doing them pretty regularly too as I have to do one before visiting my mother in her care home. I believe they’re more accurate than they used to be now.

bumblebee34 Sat 23-Oct-21 16:39:45

I find it a pain that you can’t just pick them up from the chemist like you used to. Now you have to go online or phone up, input all your details and get a code to take back to the chemist. Also they can only be for your household now whereas before I could dish a couple out to the older grandchildren to do immediately before all going to a family gathering. This seems a sure fire way to DISCOURAGE people from taking the test I feel, particularly if they have no symptoms. I happily went through the process for our peace of mind but I am sure there are lots of others that won’t be bothered!

MayBeMaw Sat 23-Oct-21 16:54:50

I went online and they arrived through the post within 48 hours. This was just a week ago- have things changed?

JaneJudge Sat 23-Oct-21 16:58:00

I did one this morning and my nose bled grin

No Maw, they come the next day here too though I think we live pretty close to one another.

ninathenana Sat 23-Oct-21 17:15:50

Not many in a pack though. My son has to test each time he attends the day centre. I have to keep reordering