Gransnet forums

Health

Total hip replacement any good advice pls

(34 Posts)
sunfield91 Sat 06-Nov-21 21:32:18

I have finally got a date for my hip replacement, 23rd of November, it appears I’m having an epidural. Has anyone got any Advice or reassurance as I’m really more than a little anxious.
This is mainly around being afraid that the sedation will not be enough and I might feel something and also I don’t want to hear anything that’s going on in theatre . Does the sedation stop you hearing anything.?
After having the right hip done in six months time I will be having the left one . I have never been in as much pain for such a long time,I actually thought childbirth was the most painful thing you experience, apparently not! My medication still leaves me in pain 24 seven it’s almost unbearable but I would hate to think what it would be like without the medication.
Had we not had the pandemic I’m sure things would’ve been done much quicker it’s going on for two years now since it all started. Hope someone can help with some reassurance. Thanks

Grannmarie Sat 06-Nov-21 21:43:07

Hi, sunfield91, I don't know much about THR, but I just wanted to wish you well for both procedures.

The wonder of Gransnet is that someone will come along soon with real life experience, who will be able to give you good advice.

Aveline Sat 06-Nov-21 21:49:47

O just had a hip replacement with a spinal anaesthetic with sedation. I didn't know anything from pre op until I woke up in the recovery room. It felt like I'd been having a lovely relaxing sleep.
Recovery has been so much faster and easier than my knee replacements.
Don't worry. You'll be fine.
Check out the Bonesmart forum for first person experiences and masses of practical advice.

aggie Sat 06-Nov-21 21:51:36

Don’t worry , you won’t feel a thing and the sedation means you won’t remember anything either , the pain after the op is well controlled and you’ll be a new person after , the relief is unbelievable

tanith Sat 06-Nov-21 21:56:45

I had an epidural with sedation for both of my THRs and I felt and heard nothing through both surgeries. I’m sorry you’re in so much pain hopefully you will be reassured and your surgery will go well.

sunfield91 Sat 06-Nov-21 21:57:21

Thank you Grannmarie

sunfield91 Sat 06-Nov-21 21:58:35

Thank you Aveline

sunfield91 Sat 06-Nov-21 21:59:17

Thank you Aggie

sunfield91 Sat 06-Nov-21 21:59:49

Thank you tai thank for your good wishes

seacliff Sat 06-Nov-21 22:03:45

Sunfield, I'm going to have to have this op on the new year, and have exactly the same fears as you. I don't want to hear ANYTHING. Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine.

annsixty Sat 06-Nov-21 22:10:35

For me it was a most successful operation.
I had an epidural, I dozed for most of it and woke the next day pain free.
It is awkward and uncomfortable for a couple of weeks but nothing compared to the pain before and a lot less painful and faster recovery than from my knee replacement.One year on and it is wonderful.

grannyqueenie Sat 06-Nov-21 22:19:30

9 years ago I was 2 weeks away from a THR, with the same questions as you. The sedation pretty well knocked me out completely. I did surface briefly at one point, heard some noise and changed my iPod from relaxing classics to something more upbeat! I was so chilled out it didn’t matter one bit. Anaesthetist told me later I’d been singing along! The recovery afterwards is so much quicker with the this sort of anaesthetic.
You will be sore afterwards but that can be controlled with good pain relief. Do the recommended exercises and you should make a good recovery. Good luck!

Jane43 Sat 06-Nov-21 22:27:49

DH has had three hip replacements, the first two were under general anaesthetic but for the last one he had an epidural. He was vaguely aware of noises but drifted in and out throughout the procedure. The difference in his recovery was amazing, he was able to call me soon after he was taken back to the ward and he sounded really alert. The next day he had recovered so well he was able to come home in the evening. My DH tends to take things in his stride but if you are concerned I’m sure they would give you a stronger sedative. Try not to worry, it will make such a difference to your quality of life.

NotTooOld Sat 06-Nov-21 22:29:57

THR is a wonderful op. I had my right hip replaced about five years ago. Like you, I was terrified and did not realise until just before the op that I was having an epidural and I was very worried that I would be conscious and see or hear what was going on. I need not have worried as it was nothing like that. I was completely out, heard nothing, saw nothing, and felt fine when I woke up. Recovery from an op is quicker than it used to be only a few years ago and you just feel like you have had a nap, no sickness or anything like that any more. The anaesthetist will come round and speak to you prior to the op, so explain your fears and s/he will reassure you. I sent mine a note afterwards apologising for being a wimp! Two tips for you - get one of those 'grabbers' for picking things up as you should not bend down for a while and the other thing is, make sure you do the exercises that the physio will give you. They really do speed your recovery. All the best! You will be fine.

Aveline Sun 07-Nov-21 06:59:48

Best tip - buy two grabber things in case you drop one!

Ashcombe Sun 07-Nov-21 07:05:08

Headphones should be provided and you will be asked what kind of music you want. I don’t remember anything about mine, apart from falling asleep and waking six hours later!

Juliet27 Sun 07-Nov-21 07:15:42

It wasn’t the thought of waking during the op that worried me, it was the thought of the epidural happening. When I mentioned that at my meeting with the anaesthetist he said he could give me a mild anaesthetic beforehand so that was what I had both times and was completely unaware of both the spinal and the op.

silverlining48 Sun 07-Nov-21 08:04:16

Wishing you well Sunfield. I am in dreadful pain but am only just Starting the long journey, Will need a lot of patience before I get to the top of the long long waiting list, only 6 million to go....
I wish I was in your place.
Good luck, best wishes and let us know how it goes.

Aveline Sun 07-Nov-21 08:43:40

I've had three spinals with sedation so far. Always OK. Please don't worry about them. I was out for the count each time.

Katie59 Sun 07-Nov-21 10:02:49

OH was sedated but woke up half way through, no pain but could hear the conversation and activity, a bit like a dream.
Recovery was very quick, the physio had him on his feet within a couple of hours and I made sure he took all his tablets and did the exercises, after 2 yrs all is good.

sunfield91 Sun 07-Nov-21 10:47:16

Thank you so much everyone for all the helpful comments and advice,NotToOld. I am going on Amazon now to on to look at grabbers
Thanks again everyone

Aveline Sun 07-Nov-21 10:51:50

The sock puller oners and long shoe horns are useful too

Babs758 Sun 07-Nov-21 10:52:47

I also bought one of those cheap devices to clean between my toes. £5 and really useful. I had the spinal injection too and was a wimp but all fine. However I was under medicated after the op and in a lot of pain when doing the physio so do make sure you are medicated properly for the recovery.

geeljay Sun 07-Nov-21 10:53:31

My sister just had the op. When I wnt to collect her, I went into the ward, asked how she fekt, and she said"I dont think they have done the op, I'm just waiting for the consultant to come and update me" She just felt "a bit whoozy". The new hip was done, and she is getting along fine, now. So good luck to you.

TerriT Mon 08-Nov-21 11:11:48

In 2015 I had a hip replacement. No one was more scared of what would be done than me. I have a terror of hospitals but no idea why! Anyway I was in so much pain that as long as that was stopped I’d endure whatever happened to be pain free. I was told that after the hip is replaced the pain just goes. I thought no way can that be true. Well take it from ,me it is! Absolutely amazing . I had the spinal and asked for a strong sedative so came round just as operation was finished. Couple of days in hospital and then home. Followed the instructions re excercises and was back to normal within weeks. Maybe I was lucky but most people I’ve talked to have had the same result. Go for it and don’t worry about a thing, you’ll be so glad you had it done.