Gransnet forums

Health

Over 65s should do more ironing to be healthy!!!

(106 Posts)
shysal Thu 25-Nov-21 12:56:10

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10240079/Should-65s-ironing-health.html

What are your thoughts on the advice? Are they printable? I can think of better ways to be active! I don't do ironing and don't intend to start now!

Esspee Thu 25-Nov-21 13:10:14

Ironing is unnecessary most of the time, it is extremely expensive, bad for the environment and I have better things to do.
Those are my excuses and I’m sticking to them.

Anniebach Thu 25-Nov-21 13:17:19

I haven’t got an iron

rosie1959 Thu 25-Nov-21 13:33:53

That explains why I only visit the GP every 15/20 years !

Smileless2012 Thu 25-Nov-21 13:36:04

Me too Rosie. I'll be ironing later this afternoon.

Riverwalk Thu 25-Nov-21 13:48:23

I like my clothes to be ironed but do it without enthusiasm!

Bed linen is sent out to an ironing service.

BigBertha1 Thu 25-Nov-21 13:48:32

DH does all the ironing he is much better at it than I am.

Mollygo Thu 25-Nov-21 13:57:23

I pay £18 For an IKEA blue back packed to the brim with clothes and bedding, once a fortnight. It comes back folded neatly it on hangers ready to put away. I do have an iron and an ironing board just in case. I only use it if I’m in a desperate hurry for something that needs ironing.

muse Thu 25-Nov-21 13:58:31

Can’t believe I’ve read a DM article. ??

I find ironing the most frustrating of household tasks. You no sooner have ironed a pile then there’s more waiting to done. Ironing a perfectly flat rectangle or square OK. No hassle but panelled skirt or trousers with 100s of pockets. No thanks.

I very rarely iron since retiring. Pillow cases - yes. Rest of bedding - no. Work clothes - no.

I’d sooner spend my time keeping the garden tidy and growing things. Walking the dog. Reading. Internet research. My craft hobby.

Judy54 Thu 25-Nov-21 13:59:13

No shysal my thoughts are not printable! Apparently it is not just ironing but household chores and yes I do find them a chore. One of the participant's in the survey does 15 hours a week! 15 hours a week? I don't even do 15 hours a month. What planet are these people on?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 25-Nov-21 14:01:17

My comments are indeed unprintable. I would like to tell her where she can stuff her ** iron.

Grannynannywanny Thu 25-Nov-21 14:10:56

I have several tops and trousers that don’t need ironing and that’s what I choose to wear every day. The only time I iron is if the grandchildren stay overnight and arrive in their school uniforms. I wash and iron for their return home.

I don’t iron my bedlinen but do for any overnight visitors. I prefer the health benefits of a long walk to hunched over an ironing board.

Maya1 Thu 25-Nov-21 14:24:59

I do as little ironing as possible. How condesecan she get?
As Muse and others have said l have much more interesting things to do, such as walking my dog and being in the garden.
The ironing can wait, surely its bad for your back. Well that's what l tell myself.

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 14:54:30

BigBertha1

DH does all the ironing he is much better at it than I am.

Same here, BigBertha!

So why is this article in the femail section of the DM?
Just how sexist is that?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 25-Nov-21 15:01:16

I'm not keen on ironing and it takes me a while to find the enthusiasm to get round to it. As I type this there are items hanging on the back of my chair which have been knocking about for nearly a week. I can't imagine that doing this wretched job will make me fitter but it would make me feel less guilty.

Is dusting next? Now that really is a job I thoroughly detest.

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 15:01:41

As a 66-year-old yoga teacher, I have a few words of valuable advice to other oldies. While you’re at the sink doing that washing up or in front of the cooker making supper, a good thing to do is to stand on one leg — even for a few seconds.

You don’t need to lift the other foot particularly high — a few inches is a great start. Try it on both sides and repeat as often as you can. It will strengthen your tummy muscles and improve your balance and, consequently, you’ll be far less likely to have a fall.

I have news! These balance exercises are a good idea, I try to remember to do them

However - you don't have to be standing at the sink or a kitchen counter to do them! They can be done anywhere.
Although you could do them at the kitchen counter whilst watching someone else do the washing up ?

greenlady102 Thu 25-Nov-21 15:02:05

my owwn views are well what you you expect from the daily wail.....but here's a good poem
Dust If You Must
by Rose Milligan

Dust if you must, but wouldn't it be better
To paint a picture, or write a letter,
Bake a cake, or plant a seed;
Ponder the difference between want and need?

Dust if you must, but there's not much time,
With rivers to swim, and mountains to climb;
Music to hear, and books to read;
Friends to cherish, and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world's out there
With the sun in your eyes, and the wind in your hair;
A flutter of snow, a shower of rain,
This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind,
Old age will come and it's not kind.
And when you go (and go you must)
You, yourself, will make more dust.

greenlady102 Thu 25-Nov-21 15:03:46

Calistemon

^As a 66-year-old yoga teacher, I have a few words of valuable advice to other oldies. While you’re at the sink doing that washing up or in front of the cooker making supper, a good thing to do is to stand on one leg — even for a few seconds.^

You don’t need to lift the other foot particularly high — a few inches is a great start. Try it on both sides and repeat as often as you can. It will strengthen your tummy muscles and improve your balance and, consequently, you’ll be far less likely to have a fall.

I have news! These balance exercises are a good idea, I try to remember to do them

However - you don't have to be standing at the sink or a kitchen counter to do them! They can be done anywhere.
Although you could do them at the kitchen counter whilst watching someone else do the washing up ?

I have got dicky knees. while cleaning my teeth, I stand on one leg and mentally sing "sons of the sea" while "bobbing up and down like this". halfway through the teeth cleaning I change legs.

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 15:07:21

I have to stand on both legs to bob up and down, doing it slowly greenlady!
Balancing on one leg requires the utmost concentration these days.
I used to be able to do 'The Tree' pose in yoga.

Bea65 Thu 25-Nov-21 15:16:21

whats an iron ?

Jaxjacky Thu 25-Nov-21 15:22:14

As MrJ wears 95% of the ironing, shirts, he does it all.

MaizieD Thu 25-Nov-21 15:30:45

I iron about 3 times a year. If I'm being particularly keen I find clothes at the bottom of my ironing basket that I haven't seen for 2 or 3 years. (Clearly I'm not often particularly keen)

I haven't seen a doctor for an illness for many years. But I am quite active.

I suppose the idea is fair enough if you can't be active in other ways.

Kim19 Thu 25-Nov-21 15:35:43

I've wondered for ages how I've been blessed with such a good state of health. Now I know!

AGAA4 Thu 25-Nov-21 16:11:56

Surely walking for an hour in the fresh air is better for your health than ironing even if you do stand on one leg to do it.

MayBee70 Thu 25-Nov-21 16:20:48

What is this word, ironing confused