Gransnet forums

Health

If you fart when in company …

(81 Posts)
Tennisnan Fri 14-Jan-22 11:28:35

If you happen to audibly fart when with company, do you excuse yourself or just act as if nothing has happened? I really don’t know which is best. I more often ignore it if it’s me, and definitely ignore it if it’s someone else but what is deemed the correct etiquette? Even the Queen must do it sometimes.

MayBeMaw Fri 14-Jan-22 11:30:24

I always blame the dog.

FannyCornforth Fri 14-Jan-22 11:39:40

Walking through Derby City Centre thirty years ago, with a dear male friend who audibly broke wind
‘^Damn pigeons^‘ he said

To this day, that’s what I always say if it happens to me or anyone else.

‘Damn pigeons’ smile

BBbevan Fri 14-Jan-22 11:59:11

My MiL, bless her, did it all the time. She just walked away.???

foxie48 Fri 14-Jan-22 11:59:42

Ignore. Good manners is about ensuring people feel comfortable rather than a list of rules.

25Avalon Fri 14-Jan-22 12:01:54

What if it’s not just a noise? What do you do then?

TillyTrotter Fri 14-Jan-22 12:05:53

I say “ooh excuse me”. Polite people always answer “what? I didn’t hear anything”. ☺️

Yammy Fri 14-Jan-22 12:10:10

Good manners to ignore but my DD when in a queue for food remarked the egg sandwiches smelt off. They have also been known to blame smelly cheese in their bag when on a bus when an accident happened.

GillT57 Fri 14-Jan-22 12:46:33

Is that you Camilla?

Tizliz Fri 14-Jan-22 12:55:57

A friend once said “if I was a gentleman I would take the blame for that, but I’m not!”

shysal Fri 14-Jan-22 12:56:04

My weekly walking companion farts all the way. As she is hard of hearing she is probably unaware that I can hear her. I wouldn't dream of telling her.
The older I get the greater the possibly that I will let out a 'pop', but fortunately it hasn't happened in company yet. I think I would just say 'excuse me' and carry on. Family, of course, would find it hilarious!

Caleo Fri 14-Jan-22 13:08:26

My anus used to be under my control, now it is less so I hope other forgive an old lady.

Caleo Fri 14-Jan-22 13:09:23

PS I deliberately don't eat certain foods when I expect to be in company.

Sloegin Fri 14-Jan-22 13:14:32

My mother always told me just to ignore it. I read a little while ago that we used to cover up a fart with a cough, now we cover up a cough with a fart!

ginny Fri 14-Jan-22 13:16:33

A discreet ‘pardon me’ is all that is required.
If it comes from someone else then ,unless you are under 8 years old surely you would ignore.

merlotgran Fri 14-Jan-22 13:17:53

Sloegin

My mother always told me just to ignore it. I read a little while ago that we used to cover up a fart with a cough, now we cover up a cough with a fart!

???

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 14-Jan-22 13:35:33

When selling a house years ago I showed a prospective purchaser round who farted continuously. All the time. There must have been something wrong with her. She seemed totally unaware of it, or at least she said nothing.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 14-Jan-22 13:43:24

I still say "excuse me" or "sorry" as I was taught as a child.

I was also taught to ignore it if someone else did it in company, and still do so.

If I stub my toe and say "Damn!" I apologise, or if I cough or sneeze while talking to someone.

lemsip Fri 14-Jan-22 13:49:06

aiming low again.

Omaoma57 Fri 14-Jan-22 13:55:16

My grandfather used to say..” pardon Mrs Fardon theres a rabbit in my garden! No idea why but I say it now and so do my kids and grandchildren…

GagaJo Fri 14-Jan-22 14:38:38

I once accidentally farted loudly in front of a very lively class of teenagers. I knew it'd create mayhem if I acknowledged it so I completely styled it out and pretended nothing had happened. A couple of them said, 'Did you hear that???' hoping for drama, but I just said 'What?' and carried on teaching.

Aveline Fri 14-Jan-22 14:46:21

I'm rather flatulent and always have been so when my DS was a little boy I told him that if I ever farted in public he was to apologise and I'd give him 10p. Well the worst happened. As I learnt over a freezer in the supermarket I accidentally let rip. The good little boy immediately apologised politely he said, ' Sorry. Mummy farted.'! blush

Blossoming Fri 14-Jan-22 14:46:37

Are you allowed to say that the Queen farts on Gransnet?

Farzanah Fri 14-Jan-22 14:50:41

She even sits on the throne Blossoming

LilyoftheValley Fri 14-Jan-22 14:50:53

Always ignore. That way other people can do the same.