Gransnet forums

Health

Scared to death .......

(32 Posts)
Granless Tue 25-Jan-22 20:59:06

Hi All, Please, if you can, help me to make a decision.
This week I’ve been given a diagnosis of Osteoporosis - to say the side-effects of the prescribed medication have horrified me is putting it mildly.
I would like to hear from people who have taken Alendronic Acid, their thoughts, reactions to the drug and whether they sought alternatives such as natural remedies. I really do feel that this drug is a ‘serious’ one which needs careful consideration.

Hellogirl1 Tue 25-Jan-22 21:09:51

I was diagnosed a few months ago with Osteoporosis, and have taken Alendronic acid ever since, with no side effects that I`ve noticed.

Maywalk Tue 25-Jan-22 21:20:35

I have had Osteoporosis for well over 55 years Granless and was on the Alendronic acid for 6 years. Many folk have been on it but had no side effects.
Unfortunately no amount of meds has stopped me breaking bones over the years.
I will be 92 soon and started bone infusions last year which involves another acid to help build the bones up but it did not stop me breaking a bone in my cocyxx last year. My bones have gone very porous over the years and since 2019 I have broken three of my verterbra, two ribs and the one I mentioned earlier. I think you need plenty of calcium so look into any foods that can supply this. Good Luck and I hope all goes well for you.

AGAA4 Tue 25-Jan-22 21:24:17

I took alendronic acid for about 2 years as the cancer medication had caused ostopenia. I had no side effects and there was an improvement in my bones.

Iam64 Tue 25-Jan-22 21:29:36

I was diagnosed with RA in my early forties. The drugs to treat the disease all had side effects. In the end I decided the potential benefits outweighed the risks. 35 years later, I’m well.
I have osteoporosis and osteo arthritis but to a lesser degree than if I’d not taken the drugs

All drugs have side effects. All forms of arthritis are horrible - hope the drugs help

lemsip Tue 25-Jan-22 21:35:18

they have to state the side effects on all medications even paracetamol and aspirin...It doesn't mean you will get them...!
take the medication and look after yourself.....

crazyH Tue 25-Jan-22 21:48:02

I know a friend who has Osteoporosis and is on Alendronic Acid…..She is doing well, without any side effects. Best wishes….

MiniMoon Tue 25-Jan-22 21:49:24

In layman's terms, older bones do not take up calcium efficiently. Alendronic acid tricks them into thinking they are young again, and they absorb calcium much more effectively. I used to nurse the elderly mentally infirm and have given out alendronate to many people, none of whom suffered any side effects.
Take the alendronate and look after yourself.

Granless Tue 25-Jan-22 21:53:58

The most common side-effect seems to be hair loss. Surprisingly, no one has mentioned that ..... yet. One review I read was hair loss plus loss of eyebrows. I love my grey, thinning hair plus my eyebrows which are still black.

Callistemon21 Tue 25-Jan-22 21:54:11

I have no personal experience but have a friend who took it many years ago; I'm not sure if he still takes it.
His wife says he seems to go from strength to strength he walks miles. (It's just the rest of us who are struggling.)

Ali23 Tue 25-Jan-22 21:54:43

My DH has taken Alendronic acid for several years and has no side effects. He has developed a routine of waking up early on the relevant day, taking his tablet and sitting upright and reading his I pad for the allotted time. Then he has a drink.

Hellogirl1 Tue 25-Jan-22 22:08:36

I take several tablets every morning, but on the allotted day for Alendronic acid I have to take it first, then nothing else for at least 30 minutes. That`s the annoying bit, having to wait 30 minutes to get on with my day, lol!

dragonfly46 Tue 25-Jan-22 22:16:32

I take Ibandronic acid daily to strengthen my bones after having breast cancer. I have had no side effects for 2 years but I do have very strong nails.
My other medicine has made my hair go thin so not sure if this is an added factor.
Eyebrows you can draw on and I still have eye lashes.
The side effects do sound horrendous but are rare and I make sure I have regular dental checkups.

SueDonim Tue 25-Jan-22 22:18:37

I took alendronic acid for some five years after a double leg fracture. Like you, I was pretty worried about taking it, especially that very first time.

However, nothing whatsoever happened, except that by the end, my bone strength was back within normal boundaries.

I used to take mine on a Sunday morning, when I knew I didn’t need to rush anywhere and could spend the requisite time sitting upright.

BlueBelle Tue 25-Jan-22 22:25:56

I have alendronic infusions once a year for osteoporosis
I have had no side effects my hair is still thick and grows fast eyebrows and eyelashes still there as normal I take no other medications I m 76 I ve had plenty of falls but not broke a bone since I was in my 40 s I didn’t take the infusions until I was 73 had it for three years then a years rest (in my case 2 years because of CoviD)
Take it as you are advised to, that is so important, have a break after three years and let your dentist know you are on it
But don’t worry

BlueBalou Wed 26-Jan-22 06:12:39

If i read all the side effects of my heart medication it would alarm me too but the effects of not taking it would be even worse- fatal!
Manufacturers have to warn consumers simply to avoid litigation should something happen that opens them up to being sued.
It definitely doesn’t mean you’re going to experience any or all of the side effects!

Granless Wed 26-Jan-22 07:58:12

Maywalk - for 92 yrs of age I think you are doing very well. smile

Granless Wed 26-Jan-22 07:59:19

BlueBell - how come you have yearly infusions and not the monthly dose?

love0c Wed 26-Jan-22 08:02:21

My mum was diagnosed with it and was on medication for years. I am sorry i do not know which one it was she was prescribed. It looked like and tasted like an orange drink. She never lost her hair. In fact it never even thinned. She lived into her 80's and her death was nothing to do with Osteo or the drugs prescribed.

kittylester Wed 26-Jan-22 08:12:44

The moral of this is not to read about the side effects until something crops up - then check whether it actually is a side effect.

Marydoll Wed 26-Jan-22 08:18:06

I have had Osteoporis for over thirty years and have been on every version of the drug in that time. At the age of thirty, I had the hip of an eighty year old woman, so had no alternative, but to take it.
The only side effects I had were chronic heartburn.

I now have a yearly infusion and will be having a break for the next couple of years. You shouldn't be on it long term, but I have been. Due to a number of factors, I am very high risk.

My bone density is presently within the range for my age group, so the drug has obviously done what it was supposed to do.
Fortunately, you no longer need to fast all night, then stay upright for an hour, after taking it.
I have had broken bones, but not as many as I would have had, if I hadn't taken it.
Natural alternatives, wouldn't have been an option for me. I weighed up the risks and because I had no intention of ending up in a wheelchair, I took it.

If you do decide to take it, remember to inform your dentist.

MissAdventure Wed 26-Jan-22 08:25:03

My mum and my daughter both took it with no problems.

Marydoll Wed 26-Jan-22 08:28:39

I meant to say, if I took notice of the side effects of all twenty meds I am on and didn't take them, I wouldn't be writing this. All medications have side effects, a couple have put me in hospital. However, the alternative is worse and they keep me alive.

If it's a choice between losing my eyebrows and avoiding spinal fractures, (I already have two, held together with cement), I would buy an eyebrow pencil. Its a no brainer for me.

dragonfly46 Wed 26-Jan-22 08:29:26

I have to fast all night and sit upright for an hour after taking it every day but I regard that as me time!

Marydoll Wed 26-Jan-22 08:34:56

The problem I had dragonfly, was I would forget it was Sunday and make a cup of tea!
Sunday was the best day for me to take it, because I was working.