Gransnet forums

Health

unvaccinated should pay for hospital care

(38 Posts)
Marmite32 Fri 28-Jan-22 12:34:40

No not my idea but that of a Paris hospital administrator.
www.france24.com/en/europe/20220128-paris-hospitals-chief-sparks-debate-suggesting-unvaccinated-patients-should-pay-for-treatment
What do you think? it could lead to another revolution.

BlueBelle Fri 28-Jan-22 12:40:12

This has been happening in a few countries and has been discussed on GN I think Singapore was the first and also Austria

Daisymae Fri 28-Jan-22 12:41:34

Maybe the obese should pay for their care? Smokers? Drinkers? Care should be non judgemental.

Alegrias1 Fri 28-Jan-22 12:43:40

My nephew had a bad accident on his bike. His own fault I suppose, imagine choosing to ride a bike. hmm

Blondiescot Fri 28-Jan-22 12:48:25

That would be the start of a very slippery slope and the end of the NHS as we know it.

EllanVannin Fri 28-Jan-22 12:54:23

As Daisymae said.

Nannan2 Fri 28-Jan-22 12:59:19

Well maybe they should expect to be 'passed over' in the queue for treatment then, in favour of the ones who are fully vaccinated yet have caught it anyway from the fools who have chosen not to get vaccinated?- im not on about the ones who cant for medical reasons, just the flakey non vaxxers.

Alegrias1 Fri 28-Jan-22 13:01:50

I'll mention that to my nephew.

Yes, I can see that you have several broken bones and are bleeding profusely, but you did decide to cycle. Mrs Bloggs took the bus so I'll be treating her ingrowing toenail because she is a good citizen.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 28-Jan-22 13:07:28

No, no and no again.

Vaccinated folks are capable of transmission of the virus just as non-vaccinated folks are.

The NHS is for each and every one of us, regardless of life choices.

EllanVannin Fri 28-Jan-22 13:13:23

It's already created a nasty division in society, we don't need any more divisions than we already have.

Callistemon21 Fri 28-Jan-22 13:20:06

Agreed EllanVannin

As others have said, where would it end?

Cyclists, cavers, climbers, runners, even someone having an accident because they were careless at home?
DS was playing in a charity football match and got injured - he shouldn't have played, should he.

I hope your nephew is recovering now, Alegrias

Alegrias1 Fri 28-Jan-22 13:22:01

Yes he is, thank you Callistemon21. He's back at work.

MerylStreep Fri 28-Jan-22 13:25:28

Nannan2

Well maybe they should expect to be 'passed over' in the queue for treatment then, in favour of the ones who are fully vaccinated yet have caught it anyway from the fools who have chosen not to get vaccinated?- im not on about the ones who cant for medical reasons, just the flakey non vaxxers.

Perhaps we should have our vaccination credentials tattooed on our arm. ?

GillT57 Fri 28-Jan-22 13:35:05

Absolutely categorically not. There should be no judgement of why people need medical care, where does it end? Also, unvaccinated people are more likely to catch covid19 from asymptomatic vaccinated people, so that blows that argument out of the water, even if there was an argument in the first place.

Kali2 Fri 28-Jan-22 13:42:41

What about wages? My neighbours son and GF are unvaccinated. They went to Southern Italy last Summer for 2 weeks and came back and tested positive. Another week off on full pay. Two weeks ago, still unvaccinated, they went clubbing. Tested positive 2 days later- another week off- on full pay.

Should bosses/companies have to shoulder the cost?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 28-Jan-22 13:49:16

Kali2

What about wages? My neighbours son and GF are unvaccinated. They went to Southern Italy last Summer for 2 weeks and came back and tested positive. Another week off on full pay. Two weeks ago, still unvaccinated, they went clubbing. Tested positive 2 days later- another week off- on full pay.

Should bosses/companies have to shoulder the cost?

I know more people off with Covid in the last 5 weeks than the entire duration of the pandemic, all are triple jabbed

The vaccine is not a hundred percent guarantee against catching Covid, but it does mean lesser symptoms and negates the need for hospitalisation in the majority of instances.

AreWeThereYet Fri 28-Jan-22 14:06:27

Kali2 I heard that more and more companies are now stopping full sick pay to the unvaccinated, they get statutory sick pay only. A consequence of so many having to take extended days off.

AGAA4 Fri 28-Jan-22 14:09:43

No. The NHS should never start charging the unvaccinated. I understand that medical staff become frustrated that they can become more ill and therefore take up hospital beds but charging a fee? Never I hope.

Marmite32 Fri 28-Jan-22 14:36:03

I've just remembered - I had a heart operation when living in France. Followed by a group course with health advice.
The main thing was smoking - many in the group still smoked. The nurse in charge told us, "If you were in the UK they wouldn't operate until you had given up smoking".
I don't think this is true?

PamelaJ1 Fri 28-Jan-22 15:01:32

Perhaps they have been punished enough?
I presume we are talking about the non vaxxers who are very Ill and are taking up beds in ICU.
The people who are now, rather belatedly, wishing they had gone for the injection.
Most of us of us, those who have had triple jabs ,and are fit, healthy and slim without underlying problems can expect a short period of feeling unwell.
The unvaccinated will not be enjoying their spell in the ICU.

Lincslass Fri 28-Jan-22 15:02:06

Marmite32

I've just remembered - I had a heart operation when living in France. Followed by a group course with health advice.
The main thing was smoking - many in the group still smoked. The nurse in charge told us, "If you were in the UK they wouldn't operate until you had given up smoking".
I don't think this is true?

Yes, in the course of my career I heard this, from a Vascular surgeon to a patient. Smoking is one major cause of arterial disease, thickening blood and making clots more likely.

Kali2 Fri 28-Jan-22 15:05:08

Interesting question.

Certainly mainly orthopedic surgeons will not agree to operate for knee replacements if patient very overweight and/or inactive.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 28-Jan-22 15:10:47

Kali2

Interesting question.

Certainly mainly orthopedic surgeons will not agree to operate for knee replacements if patient very overweight and/or inactive.

That may be because the operation has much less chance of being successful if too much weight is put on the new knee, Kali2, which is quite different from denying treatment to someone who needs it for serious illness and could recover fully.

I would hate to see non-vaccinated people being charged for, or denied, treatment for covid.

GillT57 Fri 28-Jan-22 15:52:13

Cessation of smoking and losing weight before surgery are not necessarily judgemental, they are to do with improved chances of success post operatively.

Callistemon21 Fri 28-Jan-22 15:55:50

Kali2

Interesting question.

The problem is that having painful knees means walking and exercise is difficult ie inactivity.
A consequence of that can be weight gain.

I must be in the ok weight range then, as she has put me on the list.