Gransnet forums

Health

Diverticular disease and constipation

(14 Posts)
Bazza Wed 29-Jun-22 09:20:56

I know this isn’t the most pleasant or easy thing to discuss, but I’ve have diverticular disease for many years and constipation has now becoming a real problem. I eat a healthy diet with plenty of fibre and drink lots of water. My doctor has prescribed stool softeners which don’t really help, and laxatives that do, but give me a lot of pain. I take probiotics. I had surgery some years ago when we could afford private health care but it soon returned. I’m now at my wits end, as I feel unwell lots of the time and hesitate to plan anything as I just don’t know how I’ll be feeling. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as my life is now ruled by whether it’s a good poo day or not!

BigBertha1 Wed 29-Jun-22 09:26:27

It sounds very uncomfortable. Have you thought of consulting a nutritionist if the GP has nothing more to offer? Have you been re referred to a gastro-enterologist - that might be something you could ask your GP to do for you?
I hope today is not to bad and you get some relief.

Redhead56 Wed 29-Jun-22 09:45:49

Our cousin had this problem he was told he was not eating enough natural protein or fresh fibre. He as a single man never cooked his diet of pot noodles and any other quick ready meals and fibre gel drinks has altered. He eats simple fresh snacks cheese fresh fruit and salads and actually cooks his diet and metabolism has changed. He also drinks more now which keeps him more regular he was always complaining of constipation. He wouldn’t listen to our advice but eventually had so many doctors appointments he listened!

DaisyAnne Wed 29-Jun-22 10:02:10

Some researchers suggest that a low FODMAP diet could prevent high pressure in the colon, which, in theory, could help people avoid or correct diverticulitis. In this diet, people avoid foods that are high in FODMAPS.

I have found a FODMAP diet so worthwhile. However, I went on it because I have IBS-C. My father also had IBS and then diverticulitis. I worried about my "gut health" taking me in the same direction.

Not having the contents of my gut filled with things I cannot digest has dramatically improved my overall health. However, the part which relates to your condition is the fact that I rarely, and never to the extreme it used to be, now suffer from constipation. I do have to know what I can and can't eat and the finding out stage is hard work. However, over the years, it has become much easier.

I also have neuropathy. Since I have sorted my diet out and therefore don't have the pressure from my gut this has not only stopped getting worse but I believe, improved (no testing for the last two years because of Covid). My guess, and that is all that it can be, is that the bowel pressure pushed against my spine and affected the nerves - but I am not a neurologist! It just makes sense to me.

Have a look at the Monash University site; www.monashfodmap.com/ they did the research (and still do). Also, you may find this interesting. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5095569/

If it does ring any bells it might be worth asking your doctor about trying it. If you do try, I am happy for you to PM me for any help I can give or just as a sounding board for someone who has gone through this.

Can I add that this is only an opinion based on reading the research, a very helpful doctor who suggested I try it and a wish to help smile

Bazza Wed 29-Jun-22 10:15:47

Thank you all so much for your advice, which I will thoroughly look into. Over the years there isn’t much I haven’t tried, including a very expensive nutritionist. Like most sufferers there is no food trigger for me. This thread is quite timely following the sad death of Deborah James and hopefully we will all be able to talk about our bowel functions without embarrassment because if things aren’t working properly it’s very difficult to plan anything.

Patsy70 Wed 29-Jun-22 11:10:15

Such wise words, Bazza and I do hope you find a remedy to your painful condition. I am currently listening to Steve Ladner on BBC Radio Kent, following the sad news of Deborah. He is discussing the importance of seeking advice on any symptoms, however mild, regarding changes in bowel habits and those parts of the body which might cause embarrassment. He is also speaking to experts. I highly recommend that you listen.

Shinamae Wed 29-Jun-22 11:14:22

My brother died of bowel cancer in 2003 and since then I’ve had regular checks as my bowels do not function properly. I have been diagnosed with diverticular disease since 2004 but it has never gone on to be diverticulitis which obviously I’m very thankful for

SecondhandRose Wed 29-Jun-22 11:42:37

How much water/squash are you drinking? If not much drink much, much more.

vegansrock Wed 29-Jun-22 12:23:32

Although you may not have specific triggers or intolerances, it’s wrong to suggest that the type of food you eat has no effect on the gut. Hydration is also very important.

Susan56 Wed 29-Jun-22 12:31:09

I have diverticular disease.My consultant recommended the FODMAP diet.I have, like DaisyAnne found it benefiicial.

Blondiescot Wed 29-Jun-22 12:39:38

I'm another one who has DD (along with IBS) - I know exactly what you mean, it's a condition which can really rule your entire life. At one stage, I was so bad with it that I honestly questioned whether I could go on like that. And that hardest thing is that DD affects different people in different ways, so there's no 'one size fits all' solution. The usual advice is to eat more fibre, but for some people, that actually makes the DD worse, so it's often a balancing act to find what suits you.
I take Symprove every day and I can honestly say it's been life-changing for me. It is expensive, it doesn't work for everyone and you do have to persevere for the initial 12-week course as things can get worse before they start to get better, but for people like me, it can make a huge difference. It's actually given me my life back.

Eleanor21 Wed 29-Jun-22 12:45:31

Hi, I have Diverticular problems, a bowel op that has failed and since being on blood thinners I have haemorrhoids, oh joy!
I do all the usual things, fruit, water, etc., I do find find ground Flax seeds on my porridge helps a bit but I find the saving grace are Suppositories, I get mine from Boots, the Glycerol ones. They aren’t expensive. Too much information perhaps, they can be a bit explosive but they certainly work for me and means I can go out without fear of an accident.

Bazza Wed 29-Jun-22 13:43:41

Thank you again everyone, I was beginning to think I was the only one! SecondhandRose, I aim for two litres of water a day although I don’t find it easy. I’m going to look into the FODMAP diet and Symprove. Glycerine suppositories are sadly part of my everyday life! Who would have thought that the quality of my day is dependent on a poo, which should be such a natural thing you don’t have to think about.

Jane43 Wed 29-Jun-22 13:50:23

Have you tried prebiotics as well as probiotics? I have a constipation problem caused by a rectocele and take inulin concentrated fibre every day. It is in powder form and dissolves in a hot drink. It is much better than laxatives.