Gransnet forums

Health

UTI on-going : (

(37 Posts)
Riverwhirl Wed 29-Jun-22 10:01:58

Hi, I've just discovered this place.
I've had a UTI for a month, I'm avoiding antibiotics till the last minute/ till I'm utterly defeated. Taking buckets of Mannose D in various forms. this works, but if I leave any gap more than 3 hours, symptoms come back. Drinking like gallons as well. And advice/ experience on this please! ?
ps, its lovely to have discovered this place.

Shelflife Wed 29-Jun-22 10:13:13

Good morning Riverwhirl, welcome! Please don't wait till you are ' utterly defeated ' get to your GP for antibiotics . An untreated UTI may lead to other complications. You have struggled for a month now , time to take positive action and get the medication your body needs. I understand your reluctance regarding medication but you have tried hard enough!!! A UTI can make you feel absolutely miserable so please don't hesitate any longer. Good luck and keep posting.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 29-Jun-22 10:13:34

Get to your GP asap and get some antibiotics, you risk damaging your kidneys if you don’t get it sorted. 4 weeks!!

It’s a horrid thing to get but mine rarely goes without antibiotics, if yours flares up after 3 hours then Mannose isn’t working.

Hope you feel better soon.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 29-Jun-22 10:13:59

Shelflife crossed posts!

Shelflife Wed 29-Jun-22 10:19:38

Yes, both on the same wave length Oopsadaisy. Like you , in my experience a UTI does not respond to home remedies!!! Hope the OP filled our advice !

aggie Wed 29-Jun-22 10:26:53

Mannose D never worked for me , but getting antibiotics as soon as I could did help , it was getting the correct ones that took time
I had to leave samples to be sent to the lab to find out the best option that has cleared my infection
Overdrinking isn’t a good idea

MayBee70 Wed 29-Jun-22 10:38:26

Please get antibiotics asap. And if one doesn’t work ask for a different one.

Bea65 Wed 29-Jun-22 10:41:16

Agree with comments posted..have had several and without antibiotics, can lead to sepsis in the worst case scenario..friend had severe UTI, and ended up in A&E on a drip..hope you see GP or Pharmacist wherever you live..good luck..

fairfraise Wed 29-Jun-22 10:55:49

As others have said see a doctor as soon as you can and take the antibiotics. UTIs are very serious. Take a sample in asap.

Sparklefizz Wed 29-Jun-22 11:27:16

Hi Riverwhirl, you have been taking D Mannose, which does work normally, but it sounds as if your UTI has become really entrenched, so you must get antibiotics ASAP because of serious complications.

The thing is, you need to be on the correct antibiotic for the specific cause of your infection. It is usually E-Coli but could be other bugs. Please see your doctor.

I keep D-Mannose in the house and take it at the first ever possible twinge, which has been a successful protocol and haven't had a UTI for 10 years now, but when an infection has been ongoing for such a long time, you need to bring in the heavy-duty treatments.

You can offset the side effects of the antibiotics with probiotics once you have finished the course.

I hope you soon feel better. flowers

crazyH Wed 29-Jun-22 11:35:00

Please, please go to your GP, take a sample with you. In my opinion, as the others have said, UTI rarely goes away without antibiotics. I get this at least once a year. Hope you feel better soon.

Luckygirl3 Wed 29-Jun-22 11:40:29

For goodness sake why are you avoiding antibiotics? We are so lucky to have them; why reject them?

Of course there is overuse of antibiotics (especially in farming) that we all deplore, but a UTI is absolutely 100% what they are for. If you leave it to continue you will finish up with a kidney infection and potential irreversible damage. This cannot be what you want to happen.

Call the GP practice and they will put out some meds or a prescription for you and you can knock this thing on the head and get on with your life.

I really can see absolutely no reason whatsoever why you do not go and get treated. If you leave it you will finish up on a whole heap more antibiotics long term if you wish to survive. Off to the GP with you!!!

fairfraise Wed 29-Jun-22 11:52:29

I wish I had called GP early in the week I had it as I collapsed twice in five minutes, hit head on hard floor, and DH called 999. The came within 2 hours and saw GP later in the day who put me on antibiotics straight away.

Riverwhirl Wed 29-Jun-22 14:20:36

That felt like getting mobbed.

Riverwhirl Wed 29-Jun-22 14:27:37

I appreciated the kinder messages. But some of them verged on aggressive. And theres also a cumulative effect.
I appreciate the one person who acknowledged there may be good reasons for not taking antibiotics.

LOUISA1523 Wed 29-Jun-22 18:11:40

If it develops into a kidney infection it will be much harder to clear...youbare also at risk of sepsis ...get a sample tested ASAP

Farmor15 Wed 29-Jun-22 19:51:51

Sorry you feel mobbed, Riverwhirl , Gransnet can be a friendly place, but it would be irresponsible of anyone here not to recommend visit to GP and antibiotics.
Antibiotics can be overused, particularly for things like sore throats and colds, which are usually caused by viruses (not killed by antibiotics), but UTIs are caused by bacteria and respond well to the right antibiotic - important that urine sample is tested to see which bug is causing infection.

Luckygirl3 Wed 29-Jun-22 20:08:07

Don't feel mobbed! People just want you to get well and recognise that turning your back on antibiotics in this situation is unwise and can be a danger to your kidneys.

UTIs are not caused by viruses, which antibiotics do not kill and should not be used for. They are caused by bacteria which can be rapidly knocked on the head with a 2 day course of antibiotics - job done! - kidneys safe!

cornergran Wed 29-Jun-22 20:20:45

While respecting your right to make a choice I agree with those seriously advising seeking medical intervention riverwhirl. After many UTI’s, some of which I sat out for too long, my kidneys were affected, it was very painful and took months to sort. Please don’t risk it.

Nancy0 Fri 01-Jul-22 23:02:19

Could I ask for advice please regarding a UTI? I have a UTI at the minute ...naturally it hit when surgery was shut so I started Trimopethrim which I had at home. The doctor sent a prescription for Pivmecillinam to the pharmacy today. Should I continue with Trimopethrim or abandon it and start other antibiotics? Thanks for your help folks

aggie Fri 01-Jul-22 23:08:17

Did you leave a sample for testing ?
I had the opposite happen once , I was prescribed the penicillin antibiotic , but got a message from the surgery to stop it and to collect trimopethrin from the pharmacy and take it ,
This was after a sample had been tested and the best antibiotic was that

aggie Fri 01-Jul-22 23:09:19

So take the meds the Doctor prescribed

Nancy0 Fri 01-Jul-22 23:11:56

Yes Aggie I left a sample in (taken before I started on Trimopethrim) but it won't have had time to get to the lab for testing. I feel that I should stick with Trimopethrim for the 3 day course to see if it works ...by that stage results should be back from the lab

Marydoll Fri 01-Jul-22 23:18:41

I am in the throes of a severe kidney infection, you have my sympathy. The pain is worse than childbirth.

As I am immunocompromised, it has made me very ill, despite seeing a GP immediately. In fact I have been told I will be hospitalised, if the antibiotics don't kick in soon.

There are times when you do need medical intervention and this is one of them, to avoid damage to your kidneys.

Shelflife Fri 01-Jul-22 23:20:11

Riverwhirl, posters are not being aggressive, they are genuinely concerned for your health and that concern may appear aggressive! Many posters are at a loss to understand your reluctance to take antibiotics, we are not living in the last century. Of course we fully respect your right not to take the medication . However I fear what may happen if you follow your convictions. You asked for advice and you got it, whether you follow that advice or not is entirely up to you - I recognize and respect that.
Good luck !!!!!