Gransnet forums

Health

Mild hearing loss due to build up of wax

(20 Posts)
Freeandeasy Wed 29-Jun-22 18:06:50

I was a bit over zealous with a cotton wool bud in both ears on Sunday. This resulted in my hearing being reduced. I panicked, but the following day (Monday) I called in at a local hearing place. I thought it was a wax build up, but was concerned that I had damaged my ear drums by pushing too far. The audiologist who was free, and very kindly agreed to see me, confirmed that there was no damage to my ear drums but just a very large build up of wax. He recommended wax reduction (with oil drops) which I had today.

The nurse whom I saw was very good. She thoroughly explained the procedure and took photos before and after. After the procedure my hearing was back to normal and I could hear fine. She then did a hearing test on her hand-held device and I had to press the green button if I heard a sound on my ear ‘phones. It was difficult to determine whether nor not I heard a sound or not, but when she showed me the results on her device, it showed I had a slightly less than average hearing loss. This surprised me, as I could hear very well and when I arrived home, I asked my partner to whisper and I could hear perfectly well. She advised me to book in for a more comprehensive audiology hearing test, as the one she carried out was basic. This was included in the £72 charge, so I booked in for three weeks time. She said it was to keep an eye on my hearing, so I was fine by this.

My hearing seemed fine after the wax removal. Should I be concerned about this? Has anyone else experienced a similar situation? All comments would be greatly appreciated.

Freeandeasy Wed 29-Jun-22 18:10:26

PS - I am 66 years old age, so it may be an age related thing.

Calendargirl Wed 29-Jun-22 18:10:30

Shouldn’t poke cotton buds in your ears, tempting, but very naughty.

Freeandeasy Wed 29-Jun-22 18:14:19

I know! I certainly won’t do it again!!

wildswan16 Wed 29-Jun-22 18:20:07

No direct experience, but I imagine if they did the "quick" test immediately after clearing the wax out of your ears, then the test could be quite inaccurate.

Have the other test if it will set your mind at rest. Gradual deterioration in our hearing is sometimes quite difficult to appreciate, and may only affect a certain range of sounds. Hopefully you will come away with good results for both ears. (and no more cotton buds - the only thing you should put in your ear is your elbow).

ExDancer Wed 29-Jun-22 18:21:24

Yes they want to sell you a hearing aid.
Phone your go and they will arrange a test at the audio clinic, its free over 65 and they aren't interested in pushing an expensive hearing aid you may not need.
On the other hand, loss of hearing can lead to dementia in some people because they opt out of conversations.

Shandy57 Wed 29-Jun-22 18:21:35

I've had a hearing test and couldn't hear some of the sounds either, I put it down to ageing, I'm 65. If and when you become conscious you can't hear things, rebook?

And don't use cotton buds in your ears, so very dangerous, just clean your outer ear with a piece of dampened cotton wool.

Cabbie21 Wed 29-Jun-22 18:49:48

I had a hearing test , free, at Specsavers and they said I had mild hearing loss, particularly of high frequency sounds. The only time I struggle is in a noisy restaurant, and to be fair, that is somewhere I rarely go, so I don't think I have any problems yet. It was up to me whether I chose to go ahead with getting a hearing aid from them or elsewhere. There was no pressure.

I do use drops to clear wax. They work well.

MayBee70 Wed 29-Jun-22 18:58:02

I thought you had to use olive oil for several days for it to work? Something worth knowing is that if you have a hearing aid you qualify for a free senior rail card. I was offered a NHS hearing aid a few years ago but declined as my hearing only just needed one. I regret it now. Something I don’t understand is that I only get a build up of wax in my right ear. Never my left one. Too much information but the amount of wax that comes out makes me wonder how I could hear anything at all. A proper Shrek moment.

Jane43 Wed 29-Jun-22 19:05:35

Our GP surgery won’t do ear wax removal or foot care, we have to have both things done privately.

Annaram1 Wed 29-Jun-22 19:18:13

I have never had a problem with wax or hearing and I never use cotton buds. I take a little piece of thin tissue and form it into a point. Then I clean my ears with it. It does not hurt a bit. Totally free of wax these days and the doctor said my ears look very clean.

Witzend Wed 29-Jun-22 19:26:35

Did you have wax removal by vacuum suction? Dh has had this more than once and I’m contemplating it, at least in one ear, which I’m sure is bunged up.

Oldbat1 Wed 29-Jun-22 19:55:46

GP practice no longer do wax removal you have to go private. GP will refer to nhs audiology for proper hearing test. We both have nhs aids

Oldbat1 Wed 29-Jun-22 19:56:22

I meant my GP practice.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 29-Jun-22 20:02:49

Are you in the UK OP? Sorry if this has been mentioned and I missed it. I went to the GP due to hearing loss and I was referred to audiology. It was recommended that I have hearing aids - all free of charge. It's just a case of waiting. I'm very happy with them.

Luckygirl3 Wed 29-Jun-22 20:17:10

I think they want to sell you hearing aids. Not being able to hear because of wax build-up happens to people with normal hearing (especially those who poke cotton buds in!).

Sometimes you do not need to soften the wax, as some places sort of hoover it out now!

Used to be done by GP - now you have to pay. Cost me £50.

MayBee70 Wed 29-Jun-22 20:21:04

I find, if I put olive oil in, the wax just works it’s way out.

Calendargirl Wed 29-Jun-22 20:33:33

Oldbat1

GP practice no longer do wax removal you have to go private. GP will refer to nhs audiology for proper hearing test. We both have nhs aids

Wrong.

My DH had his wax removed at our GP surgery last week.

It wasn’t being done during Lockdown though.

He had his hearing tested at Specsavers, had moulds done the other day, and is awaiting his (NHS) hearing aids soon.

Jaxjacky Wed 29-Jun-22 20:33:55

I’ve had my ears, used to be syringed, now micro-suctioned, every year or two since I was 14, I have very narrow ear canals.
This used to be done by the nurse at the surgery, postcode lottery, some surgeries still do it, now I pay, but I’ve never had my hearing tested afterwards.
If you’re concerned, as others said, consult your GP.
I use Earol to try and stop the wax build up, it would help if I did it more regularly than I do.

Freeandeasy Thu 30-Jun-22 12:23:00

Thank you for all your replies. I certainly won’t be putting cotton buds in my ears again! I am in the UK and ear waxing isn’t done now on the NHS where I live. I had the wax vacuumed out (I don’t think they syringe anymore?) A LOT of wax was removed. I was given olive oil drops to use beforehand. They did recommend 5 days but said using twice daily for 2 1/2 plus at bedtime would suffice. In future, I’ll use olive oil drops to soften any future wax.

As one poster suggested, the basic test just after the wax removal was possibly inaccurate. As the hearing test was already included in the price, I will still go but if they DO try to sell me a hearing aid, I will refuse and if my hearing deteriorates in the future, I will see my GP and get tested on the NHS.

Thank you again for all your helpful responses.