Gransnet forums

Health

Dental hygienist

(83 Posts)
BigBertha1 Wed 29-Jun-22 22:08:49

My regular session with the hygienist today was £85 ( with 10%)
discount as I have a plan with the practice). I was appalled and said so. I was told it was because they had a new air flow machine. Was I wrong to be shocked?

BlueBelle Wed 29-Jun-22 22:12:07

I haven’t had a hygienist since it stopped being part of the check up I just hope I brush well enough There’s no way I can afford that sort of price The check up price is bad enough

Callistemon21 Wed 29-Jun-22 22:12:18

We have dental plans which include two checkups with the dentist and two hygienist visits per year, plus a discount off any treatment required.

Check what your plan includes - that doesn't sound right.

Juliet27 Wed 29-Jun-22 22:16:38

No. I recently went for just a chat with my dentist about whether to consider some orthodontist treatment and I ended up having to pay over £100 as he took an X-ray and said to book with a hygienist which no doubt would cost a similar amount to yours.
I wonder if they’re having to make up for lost revenue due to the pandemic….although, let’s face, no prices will remain static for long now.

Charleygirl5 Wed 29-Jun-22 22:16:40

Mine charges £50 and I think that is bad enough but £85 is ridiculous. She is pricing herself out of business.

Mancjules Wed 29-Jun-22 22:17:42

Sounds a lot. I'm on a private plan and had to have an extra hygienist visit. Cost me £47.

Esspee Wed 29-Jun-22 22:25:08

I’m in Scotland and use an NHS practice. It is about £18 for a hygienist appointment.

Chewbacca Wed 29-Jun-22 22:26:29

shock I think my £12.95 a month for 1 full dental check up per year, 2 hygienist visit's per year, all x rays and 15% off any necessary dental work is be a bargain!

Beautful Wed 29-Jun-22 22:27:44

Did you buy the air flow machine ! I would have been shocked aswell I pay monthly into a plan , so don't have to pay any extra for having my teeth cleaned , twice a year , checks up, fillings etc all included

Charleygirl5 Wed 29-Jun-22 22:34:07

Esspee my practice is also NHS but the hygienist is private. I appreciate she has to rent the room but the price was £45 about 3 months ago and it is usually under 30 minutes.

BigBertha1 Wed 29-Jun-22 22:36:17

I pay a plan as well which includes 2 hygienist visits but the dentist thinks I need 4 a year as I have had a gum. Altogether I am paying £100 a month for dental insurances infection this year

Charleygirl5 Wed 29-Jun-22 22:39:57

BigBertha my dentist also suggested I needed x4 treatments from the dental hygienist and I said I could not afford it at the hygienist's prices so she did it herself the last time I went!

VANECAM Wed 29-Jun-22 22:40:44

Personally I place my dental care and hygiene at the top of the list and so will never quibble about the cost.
Grin and bear it!

Toetoe Wed 29-Jun-22 22:43:30

I asked for a clean during my check up last year and was told I needed to see hygienist so I booked an appointment and he just scraped and said they were not using water or machine due to covid , 15 minutes later I paid £79 . Hygienist made a second appointment for 3 months saying they would then use water and machine , I attended and 20 minutes later I paid another £79 . Hygienist recommended I had another appointment in 3 months to have my teeth sandblasted and made an appointment, the cost was £100 . I cancelled.

With hindsite I should not have attended the first appointment the second one was what I needed .

There was no consideration regarding the cost when he made the appointments he acted as though everyone can afford it . I couldn't.

grannyactivist Wed 29-Jun-22 22:47:33

It’s a condition of my implant ‘warranty’ that I have 4 visits a year to the dental hygienist and the charge is £74 a time.

Keeper1 Wed 29-Jun-22 22:58:13

When I see the hygienist at my implant dentist it is around £90 but that is for a one hour appointment using all manner of wonderful technology and well worth every penny. My local dentist I have a plan with which includes six monthly check ups and four hygienist appointments so and although very good not a patch on the implant hygienist cleaning.

I think the hygienist appointments are very important and beleive far more emphasis should be put on them in the first instance for keeping our mouths healthy.

travelsafar Thu 30-Jun-22 08:11:00

I pay privately for 2 jet washes per year at 150 each time. My teeth feel great afterwards, any stains are removed, gum line is cleaned and teeth look much whiter. I also use electric toothbrush and interdental brushes daily. Never been to a hygienist. Check ups are 6 monthly. Dental costs to me are worth it and I feel sad that so many people can't afford them. The thought of having dental pain and not being able to pay to get it sorted would scare me.??

Bakingmad0203 Thu 30-Jun-22 08:27:43

Interesting thread as I have tried unsuccessfully to register as an NHS patient at many dentists in the area, so in the end have had to register as a private patient as I had lost a filling.
I was surprised at the different prices charged for check ups, fillings and cleans at all the dentists I contacted and came to the conclusion that it depends on the area, as I live on the outskirts of a city.
The most expensive check up was £95 the cheapest £39, none of them included a clean.

Beautful Thu 30-Jun-22 09:06:22

I am with Denplan .. £61.71 a month ... got a family one as my son lives with me ... can't remember how much each one is , although I know mine is a bit more ... saying that ... quite possibly won't take existing problems ... may sound a lot but includes fillings xrays etc ... although would have to pay extra for cosmetic reasons & others ... 2 check ups & 2 hygienist appointments a year including in that , also I have broken a few teeth ... lots ! Had them sorted aswell at no extra cost

nadateturbe Thu 30-Jun-22 09:25:30

Callistemon21

We have dental plans which include two checkups with the dentist and two hygienist visits per year, plus a discount off any treatment required.

Check what your plan includes - that doesn't sound right.

We have the same.

nadateturbe Thu 30-Jun-22 09:29:31

Almost £20 pm, and the hygienist is very thorough.

BigBertha1 Thu 30-Jun-22 09:54:08

Quibble VANECAM??? I thought I was asking if I was wrong to be shocked not if I was allowed to 'quibble'. The cost had risen by over £30 in three months - hardly a 'quibble'.

benhamslc Thu 30-Jun-22 11:36:20

Ours is £85 its a private dentist the hygienists rents the room so now only go once a year instead of twice

Moggycuddler Thu 30-Jun-22 11:41:09

A couple of years ago I bought a little set of dental hygiene tools off Amazon. Cost about a tenner, I think. Since then I have used them carefully to scrape stains and tartar off my teeth myself, and clean between them. I also bought a "water flosser" which I use regularly. Along with my electric toothbrush, Tepe brushes of various sizes, and floss, I look after my own dental hygiene. If you have a steady hand it works. Admittedly, I'm blessed to have good strong teeth, none missing and no fillings at 65. I just go to the dentist for a check up once a year.

MissEllis Thu 30-Jun-22 11:54:23

I was thrown off my NHS dentist's list for not attending regularly! I've now had an 'estimate' from a private practice of not far short of £400 for a 'consultation' (ie. they count your teeth); two x-rays; a session with a hygienist (£89!!) plus a single, solitary filling. If you're poor in the UK, wave adios to your teeth... (Sorry - slightly off topic, but I needed a rant.)