Gransnet forums

Health

Plantar fasciitis

(48 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 05-Jul-22 16:14:45

I've had this now for over a month. I know I need to rest it to let it get totally better, but can't. I've given up my car and have to walk DGS to school and back daily.

I wear boots which help a bit, and keep my foot up when I can. I also stretch it out regularly throughout the day (helps quite a bit). But I can't totally get rid of it. I feel so disabled by it! I'm trapped now. No car and can't flipping walk either.

Anyone got any tips?

Riverwalk Tue 05-Jul-22 16:24:51

Are the boots not a bit hard?

Maybe something like Skechers or any trainers with a cushioned heel and arch support.

I know a couple of people who swear by their Skechers for plantar fasciitis.

GagaJo Tue 05-Jul-22 16:28:32

I've got Skechers but have had to stop wearing them. They're so flexible, they make it worse. A more rigid sole cuts down on the amount of movement in the sole of my foot.

Some arch support might be a good idea though.

hulahoop Tue 05-Jul-22 16:28:45

I will my feet on a tennis ball or golf balls when it's bad I have special insoles from hospital ,there are some insoles in larger chemist but mine were made from measurements ,you need to see a podiatrist or a physio I was told not to walk in very flat shoes I tend to wear wedges ,massage is good has well ,you have my sympathy it's very painful.

SueDonim Tue 05-Jul-22 16:31:23

I was the same about three weeks ago, in absolute agony. I hobbled to a shoe shop, bought a pair of Rieker Sneakers and walked home pain-free! I wouldn’t recommend those particular shoes simply because they might not suit your feet, but do go to a shoe shop and ask their advice. I’d suggest a ‘proper’ shoe shop, not a fashion one. I was amazed at how knowledgeable the assistant was.

There’s also another thread on GN, I’ll try to find it.

SueDonim Tue 05-Jul-22 16:33:26

Oh, you’re on the other thread anyway, so I won’t bother to link it!

Nannytopsy Tue 05-Jul-22 16:57:53

My podiatrist gave me ultrasound treatment too.

HowVeryDareYou Tue 05-Jul-22 20:24:07

I first had Plantar Fasciitis about 16 years ago. I tried exercises given to me by the podiatrist, painkillers, and special insoles. I wore trainers, as advised. Nothing helped. I had to have 10 weeks off work (I did a lot of driving for work). The only thing that sorted it out was a steroid injection.

Witzend Tue 05-Jul-22 20:29:40

I found that arch supports (Scholl, about £25 from Boots) helped enormously. I wore them in both shoes (only my R foot was affected) for at least 6 weeks, which sorted it.
Without them I could walk only very painfully.

A BiL paid ££££ for specially made arch supports with no better results. Maybe I was just lucky though.

Humbertbear Tue 05-Jul-22 20:43:54

Buy elastic socks and wear them all the time for support.

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Jul-22 21:06:00

GagaJo

I've got Skechers but have had to stop wearing them. They're so flexible, they make it worse. A more rigid sole cuts down on the amount of movement in the sole of my foot.

Some arch support might be a good idea though.

The podiatrist told me that if a trainer can be bent toe to heel it is too soft and flexible to be of any support. Some Skechers trainers are firmer than others.

As others say, try insoles or even just gel insoles.

I had this a couple of years ago; the podiatrist gave me exercises to do similar to those in the link and I massaged anti-inflammatory gel into my heel.

One day I realised the pain had gone but it did take a while.

www.londonorthopaedicsurgery.co.uk/therapies-exercise-regimes/plantar-fasciitis-exercises/

NanaAng14 Tue 05-Jul-22 21:12:14

I second the idea of rolling your foot on a tennis ball, this simple exercise has always worked for me , think the idea is ,it stretches the muscles and eases the pain.

crazyH Tue 05-Jul-22 21:15:00

Rolling your foot on a icecold can of Coca-Cola or similar - solved mine

PoppyFlower Tue 05-Jul-22 21:19:11

Hi there, I can relate to your frustrations! I have PF and Bursitis in both feet. A year on things are getting more manageable. My go-to tricks are ice packs on soles of feet in the morning for 10 minutes and in evening if needed, self massage, Cocodomol if needed and a drastic change of footwear to Merrells ankle walking boots with a softer insole inside plus gel heel pads. The footwear alone has been a game changer. I do wear Skechers arch fit trainers for the gym and sport but beyond that, I agree they are too flexible. It was an old pair that got me into trouble during lockdown walking miles in u supporting shoes every day! Good luck!!

PoppyFlower Tue 05-Jul-22 21:20:56

Ps, get yourself an Ultrasound to check nothing else is going on, like heel spurs etc..

Lexisgranny Tue 05-Jul-22 21:28:39

My husband had this diagnosed by our GP after suffering for quite a while. He mentioned this to his osteopath who treated him, and has not had any pain since.

Ali23 Tue 05-Jul-22 21:47:29

I had this for the first time several years ago. The gp suggested getting insoles to support my instep and raise my heal a little. I bought them from scholl. Since then, I’ve felt it returning and used insoles straight away. Often, Skechers offer enough support, but other shoes not so much.

nandad Tue 05-Jul-22 22:51:26

I wear high heels in the house as it takes the pressure off my heel and stretches the ligament.

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Jul-22 22:59:31

nandad

I wear high heels in the house as it takes the pressure off my heel and stretches the ligament.

I thought that wearing high heels too often could cause problems with the Achilles tendon?

BlueBalou Wed 06-Jul-22 08:20:44

Flat shoes cause very painful Achilles’ tendons for me, they get swollen too at the back of my ankle ☹️. I never had it from wearing heels.

GagaJo Wed 06-Jul-22 10:59:33

Yes, I think my Sketchers started mine off. Combined of course with suddenly beginning to walk much more. I like walking, so it's very disappointing that I can't walk a lot at the moment.

My boots are good, because they offer a lot of support. I tried massaging the foot last night and I think it was a little better this morning. The stretches definitely work for me. I stand on the bottom step with just my toes on the step and lower my heels. I take my weight on my good food, and just stretch the bad one.

For the last 2 weekends I've not done any walking and it's been quite a lot better by Monday, but returns as soon as I start the school run (stroll) again.

GrandmaKT Wed 06-Jul-22 11:13:40

I suffer from PF. I find gel heel insoles help (like the OP I find supportive strong boots are better than trainers. For the last couple of weeks I've been using a hard massage ball similar to this www.amazon.co.uk/66fit-Spiky-10cm-Hard-Massage/dp/B001G9KOCS/ref=sr_1_15?s=instant-video&crid=3KQ6LTPZMSV2G&keywords=spikey+massage+ball&sprefix=spikey+massage+bal%2Cinstant-video%2C392&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1657102255&sr=1-15 - it's helped a lot.

HeavenLeigh Wed 06-Jul-22 11:21:17

Many years ago I had PF, my podiatrist gave me laser therapy and I was given exercises to do, also had gel insoles, the pain was awful especially when first get out of bed, mine started after working long hours standing on laminate floor at work in silly dolly shoes, I actually found when I wore a higher heel as my feet were stretched I coped better, flat shoes are horrendous, I was told off for wearing flip flops before it all started

MayBee70 Wed 06-Jul-22 11:27:44

Witzend

I found that arch supports (Scholl, about £25 from Boots) helped enormously. I wore them in both shoes (only my R foot was affected) for at least 6 weeks, which sorted it.
Without them I could walk only very painfully.

A BiL paid ££££ for specially made arch supports with no better results. Maybe I was just lucky though.

Same here. Years ago I hobbled into a Scholl shop with plantar fasciitis ( I’d had it for months: doctors advice was ‘wear trainers’) and walked out of the shop a new person. It had been brought on by wearing totally flat shoes for a long time.

Esspee Wed 06-Jul-22 11:31:44

I have had it twice. The first time I thought it would never go. I tried everything mentioned here and more. Eventually one steroid injection got rid of it within a few days.
About 5 years later I felt it coming on again and used the methods which had worked best at relieving the pain and it disappeared within a few months without ever getting to the not wanting to stand up stage.

From my experiences I suggest, first of all, in the morning before getting out of bed lie on your back and stretch your legs making yourself as tall as possible. Point your toes then flex your foot downwards, hold, then upwards as far as you can and hold.
Never go barefoot, find shoes which work for you. I found FitFlop shoes, trainers and sandals worked for me.
I tried special insoles, including Scholl and found all helped including the ones from Lidl and Aldi which were brilliant at a fraction of the price.
My daughter in law sent me silicone heel things, like toeless socks which had helped her and they did provide relief at a very low cost.
Good luck. The pain can be excruciating.