Gransnet forums

Health

Arthritis in both shoulders and neck

(39 Posts)
Madwoman11 Tue 02-Aug-22 06:41:46

Any advice on managing arthritis in both shoulders and neck please. I can't take anti inflammatory because of stomach problems.
The pain is getting me down. Hot baths are very soothing but that's about all that is. I'm having problems turning my head to speak to people too. My GP is calling me today but I just wondered if anyone had any tips.
Thanks in advance.

dragonfly46 Tue 02-Aug-22 06:49:12

Ice can help to reduce inflammation and the doctor can prescribe ibuprofen gel. The other option is coco Damon but you also need laxatives if you take them.

Allsorts Tue 02-Aug-22 06:49:54

I have it too, as well as feet and knees and hips. I haven't found anything that makes it better really. Just have to keep joints working despite the pain or they seize up. Some days better than others, can't do anything to repetitive or its hell for days. Those wheat filled bags you warm up help with neck and shoulders, I listen to my classical musical and relax.

dragonfly46 Tue 02-Aug-22 07:06:40

That should be co-codamol!

tanith Tue 02-Aug-22 07:28:50

Arthritis is a bugger alright. I sometimes have to take anti-inflammatories but as you can’t ask your GP for the best alternative. I agree with Allsorts you have to keep the joints moving as best you can, use rub in gels if you are able to rub them in. I do gentle stretches and roll my shoulders and circle my arms regularly to keep my shoulders moving. Swimming is good too.

Esspee Tue 02-Aug-22 07:40:13

I have seen shoulder heat pads advertised which are like a fitted electric blanket. Might that help?

PollyDolly Tue 02-Aug-22 07:47:46

dragonfly46

Ice can help to reduce inflammation and the doctor can prescribe ibuprofen gel. The other option is coco Damon but you also need laxatives if you take them.

That is not quite correct dragonfly46, Co-codamol does not have to be taken in conjunction with a laxative. It is possible to manage 'that issue' with a regular intake of the right sort of fruit and food stuffs. Why reach for the pills when fresh fruit will do. the trick?

Juliet27 Tue 02-Aug-22 08:01:13

Fresh fruit might well ‘do the trick’ under normal circumstances but from experience a little extra help is needed when taking something as strong as co-codamol.

Iam64 Tue 02-Aug-22 08:13:21

Anti inflamatories are the only thing that really help but. Like you, MadWoman, I can’t take them. I try to have regular massage and keep moving, stretching.
A physio would give you exercises that help

Madwoman11 Tue 02-Aug-22 08:48:24

Pollydolly fresh fruit etc don't work to keep me regular unfortunately. I would certainly need laxatives when taking co codamol

PollyDolly Tue 02-Aug-22 09:06:17

Madwoman11

Pollydolly fresh fruit etc don't work to keep me regular unfortunately. I would certainly need laxatives when taking co codamol

Works for me and I take Co-Codamol regularly and have done for years.

Juliet27 Tue 02-Aug-22 09:21:29

It would seem metabolisms vary. I can take ibuprofen with no problems whereas even paracetamol has an adverse effect. You are lucky that you can take co-codamol with none of the usual problems.

dogsmother Tue 02-Aug-22 09:28:39

I’m so sorry, my thumbs are my most painful and my back in the morning after sleeping. My shoulders are very graunchy sounding but don’t hurt (yet?)
It’s a curse probably of ageing but I think the best thing is to try and keep everything moving the best we can.

Judy54 Tue 02-Aug-22 13:52:35

I have found my Osteopath most helpful with my arthritic neck and shoulder problems. If you have one near by then it may be worth a visit.

MayBee70 Tue 02-Aug-22 14:20:15

I’ve started to wear a thumb brace at night because I find that my sleeping position affects my arthritis. I have a Shakti mat that I sleep on sometimes. I know it’s like lying on a bed of nails but it increases blood flow to the area and I find it very relaxing. I would imagine a good pillow would help with shoulder and neck pain. My knee gets really bad if I sleep in an odd position, too. I take turmeric in the form of golden paste as well. And I might try cannabis oil as well ( but it’s a bit expensive).

VB000 Tue 02-Aug-22 14:44:27

Judy54

I have found my Osteopath most helpful with my arthritic neck and shoulder problems. If you have one near by then it may be worth a visit.

Yes, the osteopath helps a lot with my (arthritic) neck problem - also have treated myself to My Pillow, and it's wonderful!

62Granny Tue 02-Aug-22 15:09:01

There is a newish product on the market called FlexiSEQ it is drug free pain relief and works by making the joint accept moisture from the gel, two friends have separately recommended that last being a nurse so hubby and I are both trying it , it does seem to be working, although we are not totally pain free but it is manageable. Avail from pharmacy and Amazon . There are two types and one says for Osteo Arthritis.

Geordiegirl1 Tue 02-Aug-22 15:21:12

Physio can give very helpful isometric stretches. I found these the best for shoulders and I have severe shoulder arthritis but didn’t want joint replacement as yet. Surgery for this is getting much better though so it could be an option - select your surgeon carefully from the NHS website. Unless you are a private patient. TENS units are also good but don’t place the pads on the sides of your neck. Heat is better than ice or alternate ice and heat. I find the humble paracetamol works well for me. Massage is delightful and can loosen up tightness.

MayBee70 Tue 02-Aug-22 15:23:37

It is very expensive, though and I know people that have used it who have said it didn’t work for them. I did read that it started out as a carrier but they found it was effective just used n it’s own. I know you shouldn’t mix drugs but I’ve tried putting it on my knee and then rubbing some ibuprofen gel on top of it. I’m not recommending that, though, as I know I shouldn’t do it! I always used to swear by Voltarol but it did nothing for my knee when I had a recent flare up.

Prentice Tue 02-Aug-22 15:31:48

I too have arthritis and find that stretching exercises in the morning are such a help, also hot baths or showers and the lavender warming bags too. Definitely keep moving as much as you can.Only sit for short amounts of time.

shysal Tue 02-Aug-22 15:59:46

I have something similar to this, which might give you some relief.
heated shoulder pad

Franbern Wed 03-Aug-22 08:39:53

I take co-codamol regularly, also eat salad most days and fruit with my breakfast. I have an ostomy bag so keeping 'regular' is very important to me. Never had any problems regarding Co-codamol.

I have a wonderful Riser/Recliner chair which has four motors - one to raise/lower legs, etc, one for reclining and the other two govern cushions at my neck and at my liumbar region. This has been such a great help with my arthritus in neck, spine, shoulders, etc. etc. I wear wrist braces every night in bed to help my hands and thumbs,.

Patsy70 Wed 03-Aug-22 08:59:48

I have arthritis, particularly affecting my neck, shoulders and lumbar region. This causes restricted movement and pain. I have just had four Osteopathy treatments - one a week - but am not sure that I’m feeling the benefit. My therapist has suggested a few exercises, which should increase movement in my neck. I am considering going back to a Yoga class as I believe stretching and being aware of posture is important in alleviating the discomfort of this condition.

Baggs Wed 03-Aug-22 09:29:21

I've been taking co-codamol since 1998, I think.For the previous twenty years I took co-proxamol. Both for chronic arthritis since my twenties. They can both be constipating but I have found that a diet high in green veg and pulses means I haven't needed laxatives. Fruit also helps and I kid myself that chocolate does too.

Good luck!

halfpint1 Wed 03-Aug-22 10:13:07

Making changes to your diet is the best way to combat arthritus.
Raw tomatoes are a known culprit
But every one seems to avoid talking about food as a cause.