Gransnet forums

Health

Retaining urine / enlarged prostrate

(20 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Thu 04-Aug-22 22:03:41

Anyone experienced this, family friend is retaining litres of urine, ( waiting for biopsy of prostrate) diabetic but it’s well controlled! Having to self catheterise, never heard of this before, his partner is very concerned, I said I would ask on here, she knows it’s only early days but it’s been going on for weeks, she hopes if she hears that others have experienced this maybe it could put her mind at rest

kircubbin2000 Thu 04-Aug-22 22:05:15

It's called a prostate.

BigBertha1 Thu 04-Aug-22 22:34:12

It is not unusual but great care needs to be taken with the procedure so as not to introduce infection. I hope this person has been shown how by a professional and sticks rigidly to the procedure guidelines.

MerylStreep Thu 04-Aug-22 22:44:42

My friend lives with this. He changes it 3 times a day. He’s late 50s and has a very physical job. No one would ever know.

Callistemon21 Thu 04-Aug-22 22:52:50

It's quite common with older men.
Medication is often prescribed and procedures can be carried out to reduce the size of the prostate gland in benign cases.

HeavenLeigh Thu 04-Aug-22 23:21:29

Yes Bigbertha his partner has told me he was shown how to self catheterise,

HeavenLeigh Thu 04-Aug-22 23:25:11

Callistermon21 she said he’s on tamosulin I hope I’ve got the meds right not sure how to spell it, it’s to reduce the size of prostrate I think she said,

Callistemon21 Thu 04-Aug-22 23:37:38

Tamsulosin, I think, it is a muscle relaxant and this can aid the flow of urine.
I don't think it reduces the size of the prostate, this requires surgery.

Georgesgran Thu 04-Aug-22 23:45:51

Meryl - it sounds as if your friend has a catheter fitted where the urine goes into a bag which he empties or changes several times a day? This would be changed every 6 weeks or so.
I think the OP is referring to self catheterising - hence why he’s been shown how to do it? It’s very different and hygiene is paramount to prevent infection.

I know we shouldn’t criticise grammar or spelling but it’s prostate, as kirkubbin said earlier. Prostrate is lying flat, face down - so it’s the wrong word altogether.

Katie59 Fri 05-Aug-22 09:26:07

If the retention is that bad he needs an operation, a friends husband had the latest robotic laser or steam operation in Kent 3 yrs ago, total recovery in a month.

Catheters are a very short term solution keep hassleing the doctors for treatment.

HeavenLeigh Fri 05-Aug-22 09:57:37

No he is self catheterising 3 times a day as I said in the post so no catheter fitted! And yes I’m afraid it is that bad Katie 59 that’s right it sounds horrendous, biopsy a transperineal one is being done on Tuesday next week, it does indeed sound as if he needs an op and pretty soon, yes I agree they should be hassling the drs and I’m told they actually are to get things moving asap,I know his partner has been reading up on a procedure called TURPS so hopefully things get moving once the biopsy is done and results are back

jane1956 Fri 05-Aug-22 10:02:21

there are tablets to shrink prostate (Tamsulosin hydrochloride) but need to watch for erectile problems.

Fleurpepper Sat 06-Aug-22 10:19:21

Katie59

If the retention is that bad he needs an operation, a friends husband had the latest robotic laser or steam operation in Kent 3 yrs ago, total recovery in a month.

Catheters are a very short term solution keep hassleing the doctors for treatment.

Sometimes they are, sometimes not. Each case is different. My brother had this issue and after the second attempt to enlarge opening- they discovered it was cancer. Fortunately they were able to remove all cancerous tissue, but his bladder has doubled in size, and he has to self catheterize every evening.

Not the end of the world.

Kate1949 Sat 06-Aug-22 10:27:43

When my husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer eight years ago, the consultant told us that 99% of men will have trouble with their prostate at some point. Not necessarily cancer.

HeavenLeigh Sat 06-Aug-22 12:52:43

Yes he’s on tamsulosin, dr has just rang and told him he now has kidney problems as the number is now in 30’S, my friend said she thinks it’s maybe because of all the litres of urine he’s retaining each day! He’s feeling exhausted nauseous and generally quite poorly, such a worry for them, hopefully when he gets the biopsy done in few days and blood tests sorted with results, they will know what they are dealing with, it’s the fear of the unknown

HeavenLeigh Sat 06-Aug-22 13:12:41

Oh so sorry it’s prostate, as two people have pointed out!

kittylester Sat 06-Aug-22 17:05:06

Personally I am surprised that he is only catheterising 3 times a day. Dh was told to do it 4 (preferably 5) times a day.

HeavenLeigh Sun 07-Aug-22 12:53:22

Was he kitty! I’m going to mention that to my friend as they are due to go to hospital next week so obviously it will be discussed, hope your Dh is doing ok,

kittylester Sun 07-Aug-22 13:53:08

He was also told it helps to lie on his side before going as the retained fluid is easier to drain.

HeavenLeigh Sun 07-Aug-22 22:12:51

Thank you I will pass that on ( no pun intended) to my friend