Gransnet forums

Health

Professor Tim Spector: diet exercise advice

(5 Posts)
MayBee70 Wed 10-Aug-22 19:54:32

I’m sure lots of us follow his advice about healthy living and a healthy diet but the food he advises us to eat if far too expensive for people on a low budget. And he’s just put pictures up on Facebook of him having an amazing two week holiday in Spain doing lots of healthy activities. Now, I really respect what he’s doing, the ZOE app etc but for quite a while now it’s irritated me that he talks about a diet/exercise lifestyle that most of us can only dream of. And I do feel bad about thinking/saying this. I feel that he should modify his advice to take into account people who can’t afford avocados with everything.

Floradora9 Wed 10-Aug-22 21:19:48

I have never heard of him .

BigBertha1 Wed 10-Aug-22 22:33:48

I read his blog on what he eats in a day...lots of fermented foods and healthy things if ciurse. However I did read the work he and his team have done on inflammation in the body as related to certain auto immune disorders and other conditions such as arthritis. I'm one of the 4.4 million who log in everyday on the Zoe website to record data during the pandemic and after. The research articles are fascinating.

MayBee70 Wed 10-Aug-22 23:35:48

The work he does is brilliant and, imo it is the future of medicine. It just got to me tonight, though, seeing advice to eat lots of Mediterranean food and have a two week holiday in Spain when so many people can’t afford to do that.

LtEve Wed 10-Aug-22 23:57:01

To be fair the post doesn’t say you have to have a two week holiday in Spain but is about prioritising sleep, time with family and meditating all of which can be done without spending extra. From memory I think either Tim or his wife are partly from somewhere Mediterranean so it could be he was just spending time with extended family.
His diet advice is mainly about avoiding ultra processed food as much as possible and trying to eat as varied a diet as possible including different coloured fruit and vegetables. Again that is something that can be done relatively cheaply especially using frozen vegetables which he recommends.