Gransnet forums

Health

Teeth flossers/irrigators

(7 Posts)
Doodledog Tue 16-Aug-22 01:05:31

I've just got a flosser/irrigator thing, in advance of a course of dental treatment, but I'm struggling to get on with it.

The first tie I used it was hilarious, as I got water all over the bathroom. I learnt from that that you need to close your mouth when using it, which makes targeting the edges of the teeth more difficult. I've only used it a couple of times since, and I'm not sure I'm doing it very well. It has different speeds or squirting strength - from soft to powerful, and a pulse feature, but far from using the different functions, I struggle to use it very well at all.

Do others use them, and if so, do you have any tips, please?

grannydarkhair Tue 16-Aug-22 03:03:58

If you mean a water pik, and I’m assuming you do, my daughter uses it when she’s in the shower, as like you she soaked the bathroom otherwise. It’s put me off getting one, my dentist said if you use an electric brush, floss and interdental brushes and I do, then a water pik really isn’t necessary.
Hopefully, someone else will be able to help you.

JackyB Tue 16-Aug-22 07:03:32

I have one and love it. It removes no end of gunk even after you've cleaned your teeth. I floss and use the water pik before brushing. After all, you sweep the floor before wiping it, don't you - no point in polishing the crumbs.

Fill with warmish water - especially if you have sensitive gums, cold water is very unpleasant and even painful!. It's not recommended or even mentioned in the instructions but I sometimes put a little mouthwash in, too.

Put your thumb or finger on the switch, make sure you know how to switch it on, but don't actually switch it on, put it in your mouth, bend well over sink and then switch it on. You can leave your mouth open a little so that the water runs out, but keep bent over the sink.

I can twizzle the nozzle, so I go along the outside of one side and the inside of the other, which means I don't have to shift positions or do lots of contortions with my wrist, then twizzle the nozzle (without taking the tip of the nozzle out of my mouth) and do the opposite insides and outsides.

It there is any water left in it, I go up and down in between the front teeth as if I was flossing with thread.

It gives a lovely massage.

JackyB Tue 16-Aug-22 07:04:57

You might like to listen to this podcast.

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0017k9b?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Doodledog Tue 16-Aug-22 10:53:31

Thank you!

I followed your instructions, and got a bit wet, but nothing compared to last time grin, and you're right - my teeth and gums felt great.

Blossoming Tue 16-Aug-22 10:56:23

I do the same JackyB and it really does seem to help.

NanTheWiser Tue 16-Aug-22 11:53:39

I’ve used one for years, and do the mouth-closed method, so no mess! You do have to turn it off in between to spit out, though. I don’t think it’s as effective as flossing, or using tepe brushes, but your mouth does feel cleaner afterwards.