Gransnet forums


blood blister/burst vessel

(17 Posts)
Doodledog Thu 18-Aug-22 23:45:40

I don't know if this is really a health question, but I don't know where else to put it.

I have a burst blood vessel on my cheekbone. It happened ages ago, and I think I accidentally rubbed in a bit of grit and burst it - one morning I came downstairs with a black eye. Anyway, it comes and goes. Usually it is a little red dot that is largely hidden by my glasses, but every now and then (eg now) it bursts again and becomes a blood blister that then leaks into a bruise. I think it must happen when I rub it and tear the weakened vessel again. It's not painful, but it looks unsightly.

I think it should probably be cauterised, but can't imagine that the GP would be remotely interested, which is fair enough, really. But where does one go to get this sort of thing done, please? I don't have a plastic surgeon on speed dial, or even a beautician, so I really have no idea where to start.

Baggytrazzas Fri 19-Aug-22 00:02:41

Hi, why not contact your gp surgery and ask for an appointment with a nurse, as a starter? Hope you get it sorted soon .

MissAdventure Fri 19-Aug-22 00:05:05

I think some beauty salons (or whatever they're called these days) can deal with these.
They just draw out the blood into a syringe.

MayBee70 Fri 19-Aug-22 00:05:24

It needs to be looked at. A chap in or village had a blister on his leg. The nurse at the doctors just put a plaster on it but when it got worse his neighbour took him to a walk in centre and they were horrified that the nurse hadn’t treated it properly. I don’t heal at all these days. I’ll get small dry patches that, when I scratch them bleed and scab over and then never seem to heal up. It’s a horrible age thing I guess. Anyway I think you should phone 111 and ask them for advice. They might make you an appointment somewhere. It’s crazy that we no longer feel we can go to our doctors with a problem. Or a pharmacist; they might give you some advise? You need to get someone to look at it, though.

Doodledog Fri 19-Aug-22 00:21:25

Thanks all. It’s unlikely to be urgent as it’s been there for years, but yes, maybe I should get it looked at.

I was watching GPS Behind Closed Doors earlier I the week and it really struck me how much things have been cut back since 2017, and it’s only been 5 years.

Whiff Fri 19-Aug-22 05:34:54

Doodledog I get them in my mouth. I found if I eat toast or anything crunchy with rough edges I got them. They would appear on my tongue,inside my cheeks or once back of my throat. It started before the had blood thinners .

Saying that sometimes they appear on their own . Once burst one myself as it was at the back of my throat and was getting bigger. I went on NHS website and said it could block my airway and to go to A&E. I didn't as they would pop it and could do that myself. So using a a wadded tissue applied gentle pressure and it burst.

Usually once they appear they just go themselves. But the area is sore for a couple of days.

BigBertha1 Fri 19-Aug-22 07:16:22

A GP locally has a private aesthetic surgery practice. It might be worth looking out for something like that rather than a beauty salon.

Lathyrus Fri 19-Aug-22 07:48:13

A good beauty place that does skin treatments will laser it, I think. Check their qualifications.

I had a vein on my cheek done. It wasn’t quite like the way you describe yours but I think they could do the same for you.

Lathyrus Fri 19-Aug-22 07:50:02

I get some that pop on my feet, on the sole by the toes and by my finger joints too. But I don’t bother with them.

Shelflife Fri 19-Aug-22 09:12:21

This is obviously causing you concern. I suggest you ring your GP surgery and ask for an appointment. The receptionist will no doubt ask what your problem is - so much power !!!!???? Do not play it down and do not feel guilty about guilty about wanting an appointment. I waited ages before ringing my surgery over a sore patch on my lower leg that would not heal . I felt it was a minor condition and I shouldn't waste the doctors time!! Pre Covid I would not have been worried about ringing. Any way I was given an appointment and some hydrocortisone cream with an antibiotic - solved the problem within a few days ! Doctor said never to hesitate to ring for an appointment. Don't wait as I did get on the phone and good luck - all will be well.

M0nica Fri 19-Aug-22 09:24:52

Most practices have a Nurse Practioner. See them, this problem is the kind of thing they are there to deal with.

Doodledog Fri 19-Aug-22 09:33:57

It's more because I think it's cosmetic other than a medical issue that I am hesitating. I don't want to take an appointment that could be taken by someone with a medical problem.

Charleygirl5 Fri 19-Aug-22 10:06:37

Doodledog it needs to be treated as a medical issue first. I would not dream of going to a beauty clinic before my GP had seen my problem.

toscalily Fri 19-Aug-22 10:51:02

I agree, speak to the receptionist and explain that you are a little concerned with a skin anomaly, (non specific) and ask to see a nurse. I did this, think they appreciate not having demands for a Dr's appointment. Hopefully the nurse can then refer you on or suggest treatment.

Doodledog Fri 19-Aug-22 10:57:37

I will wait until my next B12 injection in October and ring in to make it instead of doing it online, so I can ask for a qualified nurse instead of a HCA and mention it then.

A lot of the time it is no trouble at all, just a slight red mark, but it's annoying when it bursts, and more so as it tends to happen when I wear make-up. This is because I rub the area, but also means that I am trying to look my best (I don't wear it usually) and really don't want a bruised on my face.

Doodledog Fri 19-Aug-22 10:58:04

'make the appointment', that is smile

Shelflife Fri 19-Aug-22 11:59:16

I recognize that feeling of not wanting to bother the GP, but this situation is worrying you and affecting how you feel about yourself.
Please do not wait till October! You are perfectly entitled to see your GP, please ring your surgery today and don't apologize . Your doctor will fully understand why you have made the appointment. Be brave , get on the phone today. You could have this problem sorted out very quickly.