Gransnet forums

Health

Flu jab

(73 Posts)
kittylester Fri 26-Aug-22 07:32:37

Yesterday we received invitations, from Lloyd's Pharmacy, to book our flu jabs.

Is it too early?

Casdon Fri 26-Aug-22 07:35:45

We can book them now at our GP practice, but the earliest appointment won’t take place until after 11th October, I assume they aren’t sure the stock will be in before then?

FannyCornforth Fri 26-Aug-22 07:37:16

Hi Kitty
I read something last year about the best time to have it, and I think that it probably is too early.
We had ours early doors last year, and then I thought perhaps we should have waited.
I’ll try to find the information.

Calendargirl Fri 26-Aug-22 07:38:24

Ours have been booked with Boots for weeks now, in late September.

Would rather get mine done early, as there is often a kerfuffle later on with shortages and then people start panicking.

FannyCornforth Fri 26-Aug-22 07:42:03

Here we are www.boots-uk.com/newsroom/news/when-is-the-best-time-to-get-a-flu-jab-to-be-protected-for-december-boots-chief-pharmacist-answers/

It’s not just about December btw, it does explain when flu is most prevalent

BigBertha1 Fri 26-Aug-22 07:43:55

We used to get out from Lloyds in August but we don't have one here but the independent pharmacy we use have them to us last September.

kittylester Fri 26-Aug-22 07:44:29

Thanks Fanny.

I worry about a shortage too Calendar.

Think we will book now for as late as possible.

FannyCornforth Fri 26-Aug-22 07:44:42

I think that vaccines lose their efficacy in time, so you don’t want to have it too early in the year.
I think that I’ll do ours the end of October this year

GrannyGravy13 Fri 26-Aug-22 07:50:41

Have ours booked at local Boots, first week in October

Sparklefizz Fri 26-Aug-22 07:56:29

Mine is booked with Boots for late September. I haven't had the 2nd Covid booster yet but don't want Covid and flu jabs close together.

FannyCornforth Fri 26-Aug-22 08:04:35

Just musing, I have no idea what the Covid jab situation is.
I think DH had his fourth about three/ four months ago.
I can’t remember when my booster was at all ?

Calendargirl Fri 26-Aug-22 08:31:10

We have cards with our booster dates on Fanny.

Keep mine in my purse.

Grannybags Fri 26-Aug-22 09:47:01

I was told by my GP surgery I would be invited to have my flu and covid jabs at the same time.

Didn't say when that would be though!

henetha Fri 26-Aug-22 09:51:23

I had a letter from Boots offering me the flu jab. But I've now booked with my surgery for 24th September.
I haven't heard anything about my next booster covid jab yet.

Yammy Fri 26-Aug-22 09:51:54

Grannybags

I was told by my GP surgery I would be invited to have my flu and covid jabs at the same time.

Didn't say when that would be though!

I was told the same but was texted yesterday to attend for a Shingle's injection next week as was DH. No mention of Flu or Covid.

PollyDolly Mon 29-Aug-22 11:20:26

I received a text message two weeks ago from our GP stating we could follow the attached link and book our flu jabs. Oh, excellent! I thought, I will get it done straight away.........clicked on the link............surprise, surprise.........NO appointments available for the foreseeable future and the dates were quoted as being well into November! I give in!

Bea65 Mon 29-Aug-22 11:22:34

Also received letter from Lloyds Pharmacy and will book later this week...they are better service than my local GP surgery who are still not seeing patients face to face...

nanna8 Mon 29-Aug-22 11:27:21

Just curious that they offer flu jabs at the same time as Covid jabs. It is different here, they ask that they be at least 2 weeks apart. Maybe in case you have a reaction so that they know which one causes it? I don’t know, I am not a doctor, just surmising.

Bea65 Mon 29-Aug-22 11:31:13

[nanna8] not heard yet about the covid jab for this year but i will not have both together as had terrible swelling and inflammation in arm and the covid jab affected my bladder!!

Marjgran Mon 29-Aug-22 11:34:06

Not too early, if they have supplies, grab it. Takes a while to prime the immune system, so get it going!

Calendargirl Mon 29-Aug-22 11:34:53

Perhaps if more of us booked our flu jabs with pharmacies, instead of GP surgery, it would free up Doctor/Nurse appointments for other matters.

We are encouraged to use our pharmacies more, but the GP’s still like us to have our flu jabs with them, as they still get paid for that.

LJP1 Mon 29-Aug-22 12:11:59

Having multiple vaccines at the same time usually increases their effectiveness.

FannyCornforth Mon 29-Aug-22 12:19:25

LJP1

Having multiple vaccines at the same time usually increases their effectiveness.

That’s interesting.
I had no idea that was the case

GrannySeaside51 Mon 29-Aug-22 12:26:01

Our surgery is offering Covid booster (over 65’s) plus a flu jab at the same time in September. I’m a but wary if having the 2 together. What do you think about it?

Shirls52000 Mon 29-Aug-22 12:28:42

Thé flu vaccine is usually available from end of September, it takes around two weeks to develop immunity so it’s never too early to get it. We re rolling out Covid boosters for over 50 s from Sept 14 th in our area and it’s perfectly ok to have both the flu vaccine and the Covid booster at the same time, they are both inactive vaccines but would suggest having them in different arms in case of a localised reaction so that it can be identified which one the reaction was to. There are always potential minor side effects to any vaccine generally feeling like you are getting a cold, bit of a sore arm, headaches are common. We are very fortunate that we live in this day and age where we have amazing scientists who are able to develop these vaccines and let us not forget that many illnesses are now pretty unheard of due to vaccination of the population in our lifetime such as tetanus, diphtheria, smallpox etc