Gransnet forums

Health

Upper Denture Advice

(16 Posts)
WorkingGran1964 Mon 26-Sep-22 19:15:37

Dental phobic. Took me 20 years to pluck up courage, then due to a wedding in the family I just had to go. Had to be able to smile on the photos. Made appt with private dentist & the lot has gone on a credit card.
It took a lot of kicking myself to get there and I knew it would be extractions.
So now I have a temporary partial top denture but it is taking some getting used to. I would love advice from anyone who has had issues. It looks great but feels awful. I can`t have the permanent one for a few months until the gums settle.
I have tried the pink gripping stuff but food gets trapped whatever I do. It`s uncomfortable as soon as I put it in even before I eat. It`s getting me down a bit.
I know I probably need to go back but (and add to my huge bill) but I wondered if anyone else has had the same?

Oldbat1 Mon 26-Sep-22 19:51:32

Temporary dentures aren’t the best of an experience! Once your gums settle and you have your proper denture I’m sure things will improve. Good luck.

Jaxjacky Mon 26-Sep-22 20:51:00

I’d ring your dentist and ask for advice, a few months is too long for this. How long have you had it? It can take a while to adapt.

WorkingGran1964 Mon 26-Sep-22 23:22:29

About a month.

MissAdventure Mon 26-Sep-22 23:25:27

I used sandpaper on mine and filed down the rough bits!
Is the denture rubbing anywhere, or is it the feeling of having it in your mouth that you don't like?

Leavingnormal Tue 27-Sep-22 07:19:31

Hi working gran, dentures do take a bit of getting used to but if you are finding them very uncomfortable you are entitled to have them seen to without extra cost to you. If they are too difficult to wear then dentist needs to do something about it. And will probably welcome the phone call as, as my dentist said a while back, they want to get their work right. In my experience it maybe just a small adjustment that’s needed.

WorkingGran1964 Tue 27-Sep-22 15:43:51

MissAdventure

I used sandpaper on mine and filed down the rough bits!
Is the denture rubbing anywhere, or is it the feeling of having it in your mouth that you don't like?

There`s no rough bits but it feels uncomfortable on the roof of my mouth and also they are now a bit loose as the parts of the gum where I had extractions have healed and obviously shrunk. I also don`t like the feeling in my mouth to be honest, it`s like having a huge boiled sweet in there and I thought after a month it would be better.
My own fault I know, for not going to a dentist for so many years but a couple of bad experiences were quite traumatic. This dentist is lovely and kind and gentle. Not so gentle on the credit card though.

WorkingGran1964 Tue 27-Sep-22 15:47:27

Leavingnormal

Hi working gran, dentures do take a bit of getting used to but if you are finding them very uncomfortable you are entitled to have them seen to without extra cost to you. If they are too difficult to wear then dentist needs to do something about it. And will probably welcome the phone call as, as my dentist said a while back, they want to get their work right. In my experience it maybe just a small adjustment that’s needed.

I will go back.
I wondered if in the meantime people who have had similar might recommend applying a product a certain way.
I`ve also seen some sort of pad you can buy and cut to size, Seabond I think.

MissAdventure Tue 27-Sep-22 15:48:39

I found the whole thing REALLY traumatic, to be honest.

I absolutely hated the feeling of having the denture in, and was tearful for a few weeks.

Then, I hated the feeling of food getting trapped underneath, and the squishy feeling of fixatives.

Jaxjacky Tue 27-Sep-22 16:07:44

Are you sorted now MissA?
I may have to go down this route.

MissAdventure Tue 27-Sep-22 16:12:08

Well, I was, but my denture broke in half on the first day of lockdown, and being poorly has resulted in more teeth that need pulling out, I think.

I did become accustomed to the denture, eventually, though.

It was much tougher than I thought it would be, though.

Jaxjacky Tue 27-Sep-22 16:15:53

Thank you. Hopefully you won’t need any more out ??

MissAdventure Tue 27-Sep-22 16:47:31

I think it was made worse by being at work for 12.5 hour shifts, honestly.

I should have taken a couple of weeks off, because mine were rubbing and sore in the beginning.

It is only three teeth on the denture, too! I'm a wimp!

clementine Thu 29-Sep-22 19:13:14

Maybe bit late but I have a partial top denture. The teeth are attached to a titanium plate with a hole in top. Have had it changed twice in 40 years with no issues. Maybe something like that would be easier to manage. In hindsight I wish I’d opted for a bridge but have got used to wearing the denture

WorkingGran1964 Fri 14-Oct-22 00:29:09

Just an update. I went back last week, and the very clever dentist spent about an hour doing another mould of my mouth then added some filler onto the sides inside the denture. It is fitting better but I do still get a feeling of soreness in the roof of my mouth and the fixative doesn`t last more than a few hours so I always have to take some to work etc - I work 12 hr shifts.
I have bought some mouth wash for sore gums and I think that is helping.
It still feels weird, and I guess the conclusion is that they take an awful lot of getting used to.
The other thing was, it wasn`t free, it was over £100 for the time spent but not the materials used.
One bonus is that with covid and having to wear masks at work for the last two years, no one really knew how bad my teeth had got and I don`t think they have noticed my lovely new teeth - which is good. And I am no longer ashamed or worried about smiling and laughing, which I do a lot.

Clara99 Tue 25-Oct-22 04:31:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.