Gransnet forums

Health

Which milk substitute heats up well?

(18 Posts)
snowberryZ Thu 29-Sep-22 18:14:06

My husband has been diagnosed with pre diabetes so we are making some dietary changes.
One thing that he says is non negotuinal is his shredded wheat in the morning.
So to compromise, I've suggested having it wirh a non dairy alternative.
But which one heats up well? (he likes it with hot milk)
There are so many varieties in the supermarket and I don't fancy working my way through them all.
Anybody with diabetes have any advice?
Thanks.

Fleurpepper Thu 29-Sep-22 18:19:40

why should he avoid milk due to pre diabetes???

B9exchange Thu 29-Sep-22 18:23:04

It is the fat content you need to look at, some non-dairy milks are higher in fat than low fat milks, and he might prefer to stick to the taste he knows?

Mollygo Thu 29-Sep-22 18:23:53

My DH is diabetic but no mention of needing non-dairy milk. One DGS who is lactose intolerant has porridge made with oat milk, obviously hot. He says it’s OK, but I haven’t tried it.

Chestnut Thu 29-Sep-22 18:27:01

Do you know what his blood group is?

nexus63 Thu 29-Sep-22 18:28:46

would it not be better to try the semi-skimmed milk, my grandson can't take milk so his mum uses the alpro soya as it heats up well. if it is fat content the almond unsweetened milk is the best, not sure how it will taste.

AreWeThereYet Thu 29-Sep-22 18:29:55

Not diabetic but for me coconut milk (Koko) tastes most like milk, we use it just about anywhere we would use milk. We often mix it half and half with almond milk to up the protein a bit. You have to check for sugar free options though. There are often offers on plant-based milks.

HeavenLeigh Thu 29-Sep-22 18:33:02

Ooh I’m interested to know what you mean by does op know what blood group he is, chestnut

Fleurpepper Thu 29-Sep-22 18:36:06

B9exchange

It is the fat content you need to look at, some non-dairy milks are higher in fat than low fat milks, and he might prefer to stick to the taste he knows?

what has the fat content got to do with pre diabetes?

Carbs are very important, as they turn to sugar. But milk and fat? Unless he has to lose a lot of weight- but then cutting carbs, as well as sugar, would be essential, not milk.

snowberryZ Thu 29-Sep-22 18:36:37

No idea what blood group he is.
I've been reading that there's a lot ofcarbs in cows milk. I could be wrong?confused

Chestnut Thu 29-Sep-22 19:05:05

HeavenLeigh

Ooh I’m interested to know what you mean by does op know what blood group he is, chestnut

Well the Blood Group Diet explains that certain foods are poorly digested depending on your blood group. So the use of dairy products, coconut milk, goats' milk, oat milk, might depend on your blood group.

Apparently wheat and sweetcorn interfere with insulin production in Group O which is the most common group. So Group O would do well to cut down any wheat related foods. As wheat is in so many things and O is the most common group that might explain why so many people have diabetes now. Obviously it's not the same for other blood groups.

growstuff Fri 30-Sep-22 03:07:17

I agree with Fleurpepper. I've been T2 diabetic for over 30 years and usually control it well with diet and some medication. I drink semi-skimmed milk whenever I want.

Milk contains lactose, which is a sugar, but it's not particularly high carb and is fine if consumed in moderation. If you choose a substitute milk, choose one of the "no sugar" ones. I do occasionally drink almond milk, but I don't particularly like it.

Losing a bit of weight is always a good idea with T2 diabetes, so his first priority should be to cut out cakes, biscuits and sugary items. Eat starchy carbs in moderation. Personally, I hardly ever eat bread, pasta, rice, pastry, rice, potatoes, cereals, etc. I compensate by eating more protein and healthy fats than usually recommended.

growstuff Fri 30-Sep-22 03:12:33

The main reasons so many people have diabetes is that they're overweight and don't move enough. They've also been persuaded to cut out fat, but very often thickening agents such as cornstarch, which is high in carbs, are used instead of fat to maintain the consistency of foods. Compare the carb content of a low fat yoghurt with unflavoured Greek-style yoghurt.

Whiff Fri 30-Sep-22 04:14:43

Coconut milk. I use it in my porridge everyday and in my night time hot chocolate. Both done in the microwave.

Septimia Fri 30-Sep-22 09:04:16

A friend has type 2 diabetes and keeps it controlled with her diet. She uses skimmed milk freely.

Fleurpepper Fri 30-Sep-22 09:43:19

growstuff

I agree with Fleurpepper. I've been T2 diabetic for over 30 years and usually control it well with diet and some medication. I drink semi-skimmed milk whenever I want.

Milk contains lactose, which is a sugar, but it's not particularly high carb and is fine if consumed in moderation. If you choose a substitute milk, choose one of the "no sugar" ones. I do occasionally drink almond milk, but I don't particularly like it.

Losing a bit of weight is always a good idea with T2 diabetes, so his first priority should be to cut out cakes, biscuits and sugary items. Eat starchy carbs in moderation. Personally, I hardly ever eat bread, pasta, rice, pastry, rice, potatoes, cereals, etc. I compensate by eating more protein and healthy fats than usually recommended.

And not all carbs are the same. You need to read up about the GI index (Glycemic index). For instance, new potatoes have a lot less starch (= carbs that quickly turn into sugar) that older ones, like baked potatoes. Basmati rice has much less than risotto rice, especially if you wash it well first. Starch in pasta can be reduced a lot if you wash pasta well in cold water after it is cooked al dente, then re-heated, etc. etc.

GI control is the key, as well as cutting out sugar, in drinks and foods, including all the hidden ones (as in take away curries, etc).

growstuff Fri 30-Sep-22 15:15:02

I have read up a lot about GI.

I've experimented with new potatoes, basmati rice and pasta cooking methods (read them all) and tested myself afterwards. They all send my blood glucose readings skywards and affect them for at least 24 hours. They're cheap, but the body doesn't actually need carbs.

But this thread is about milk. I have nothing against alternative milks and know that some are useful for various reasons, although I personally don't particularly like any of them. All I'm saying is that, for diabetics, milk isn't a problem. It's a good source of protein and calcium. I don't see a need to cut it out and would only cut down as part of an overall weight reduction programme.

Fleurpepper Fri 30-Sep-22 15:25:17

Agreed- this thread is indeed about milk, which is not an issue with T2 diabetes. My point was, that carbs are a real issue and the main culprit apart from sugar with T2.

The other one is alcohol.