Gransnet forums

Health

Fall

(20 Posts)
Sallywally1 Wed 05-Oct-22 01:26:02

I had a bad fall in the garden in the summer, carrying too much stuff, a couple of glasses of wine and wet grass from paddling pool lesson learnt, no more wine! Last Monday morning (no wine involved!) I fell UP three steps in the garden and since then have had a pain at the top of my thigh bone and pelvis. I have been limping. Dont think it’s broken in any way, but am a but worried. Yes you will all say go to the doctor, but this is so difficult atm. Just taking painkillers atm and trying to rest. Also slightly painful to sit down! I’m worried about arthritis. I already have a painful shoulder. I am 67 and don’t bounce anymore!

Whiff Wed 05-Oct-22 05:15:27

Sallywally it's a must you contact your GP surgery. Tell them what you have done and don't be surprised if they say go to the hospital A&E or they may give you a form to have a X ray. As we get older if a fall causes you so much pain there is something wrong and especially as a woman the dreaded bone disease that I can't think how you spell looms over us.

Please contact your GP today.

SunshineSally Wed 05-Oct-22 05:30:57

Sallywally1 - you already know you need to get yourself checked out, otherwise you wouldn’t have mentioned it in your post. Why is it so difficult- is it transport? Can you not ask someone to take you either to a GP, or a minor injury unit? At the very least, it would put your mind at rest.
Whiff is right that we do need to take care of ourselves - it does take longer to heal as you get older. I have osteoporosis in my spine (I already knew about my osteoarthritis in my knees) which was only discovered whilst going through treatment for breast cancer.
Take care of yourself ?

Mizuna Wed 05-Oct-22 06:16:13

I tripped over a sock - yep, a sock - at home in March. Went down like a ton of bricks. Three months later I went to the doctor's and got a friendly telling-off for not going sooner. You should get it checked out however awkward it is getting to see your doctor.

Visgir1 Wed 05-Oct-22 08:56:34

As said please go to a walk in treatment centre if you have one near you, as it will be quicker than a GP.
If you take a look on the Heath forum about Hips and Knees you will see that some of us have struggled, so pleased get it looked at just in case.
Hope it's OK.. Good luck.

Shelflife Wed 05-Oct-22 09:03:37

Sound advice from everyone. Please get yourself checked out asap. Good luck ?

foxie48 Wed 05-Oct-22 09:18:31

Last December I slipped and fell heavily on my left side. I managed to drive myself home but was quite shaken up and OH took me to the local community hospital where they have a minor injuries clinic. They saw me promptly but said I should have phoned 111 first and they would have booked me in for an appointment. I'd broken my wrist and a finger. I had x rays and was fixed up with a splint within 45 minutes and I had a follow up phone appointment with a doctor the next day. For the record I'd also given my shoulder and glutes a good smack and I needed some follow up physio to make me 100% comfortable again. I paid for this privately. I'd ring 111 and follow their advice.

Luckygirl3 Wed 05-Oct-22 09:47:05

See the doc!!! My grandmother limped around for ages with a fractured hip before it was diagnosed!!

62Granny Wed 05-Oct-22 10:27:52

A lot of hospitals have a minor injuries unit separate to the normal A&E dept , check if yours does and just go along they are usually staffed by nurse practitioner and your move through is usually quicker than major A& E units. You can usually just turn up and they will check you over and arrange XRays if required. Get yourself checked out don't leave it too long as this will definitely lead to arthritis.

henetha Wed 05-Oct-22 10:33:44

I had a bad fall in the garden (my fourth) in January this year. Eventually a neighbour heard me shouting for help. Once he had lifted me up I could tell there was nothing wrong except lots of bruising.
I stopped him calling an ambulance because of how overworked they are at present. I would have felt bad about taking up their time. And I did recover ok. I was quite proud of my magnificent black eye.
But I think it's time I wore a pendant or similar.

Granny23 Wed 05-Oct-22 10:47:51

henetha When working in the garden or going walking, I always wear my mobile on a lanyard round my neck. I've got my DDs (one 5 minutes away, other 10minutes) on speed dial.

Kalu Wed 05-Oct-22 11:01:05

Good idea Granny23. I lost my footing recently in the garden and fractured my right hip. As I am always pottering about there, DH didn’t realise I was lying outside in pain for 30mins. until he came out to see what I was doing. Ouch!

Please don’t ignore this hoping it goes away Sally. It won’t and you could end up with a worse injury. You really must see your GP or, if you have one, a minor injuries walk in at your local hospital.

Sallywally1 Fri 07-Oct-22 17:54:08

I cinsCted the gp surgery and spoke to a very rude and brusque girl, said the nearest appointment to speak to a doc was one week. I pointed out that all I need is a form sent off to A and E from the doc, he or she does not need to see me. Comments about my attitude were made and an appointment booked for next week.

Still in pain

Callistemon21 Fri 07-Oct-22 18:01:56

It might be best to go straight to A&E or Minor Injuries Unit at your nearest hospital.

My GP saw me straight away (!) when I injured myself not long ago, she just told me to go straight to A &E. No forms involved.

henetha Fri 07-Oct-22 19:31:28

Yes, that's a good idea Granny23. My son has made me promise to take my phone with me whenever I go outside now. So I will find a way of carrying it around my neck like you said. smile

lemsip Fri 07-Oct-22 19:50:43

go straight to A and E , you do not need a note from your doctor.

I am going to get a phone pouch to wear round neck when I can find one online.
A neighbour pays for careline and pressed the alert button but the ambulance took 4 hours to come.. he was on the floor all that time yet if he'd had mobile in his shirt pocket he could have dialled 999 himself!

Gin Fri 07-Oct-22 20:40:58

I caught my foot in the corner of a fitted sheet and went flying across the bedroom in the spring. Fortunately my yells were heard and after 16 hours in A&E was admitted and had to have a large skin graft as my knee was in shreds. It happens so easily as when older, balance goes out the window. I am always cutting myself in the garden but will not give up, have a large dressing on my elbow after colliding with the greenhouse door at the moment.

Do go to A&E so an X-ray can be taken, it will be worth the wait to have peace of mind.

BigBertha1 Fri 07-Oct-22 21:53:57

Hopefully you have taken the advice by now sallywally I hope you have a plan and pain control in place. I had a fall last week on the golf course and now have a gigantic driver head shaped bruise on the inside of my thigh because I trapped the three clubs I was carrying between my legs. Couldn't make it up could you.

Callistemon21 Fri 07-Oct-22 22:00:15

Couldn't make it up could you.

I hadn't played croquet for years, BigBertha but when I did I hit my shins instead of the ball.
More than once, very hard. ?

I hope you're getting better

Katek Fri 07-Oct-22 22:28:11

I can only reiterate what previous posters have said, you need to have this checked out. I lost my balance in January ‘21 due to getting out of bed too quickly, fell and landed on my right hip. I found myself undergoing surgery the following day as I had fractured my hip. It’s so easily done - please go to doctor or minor injuries and let them have a look.