Gransnet forums

Health

Anyone taking Citalopram? Advice please

(25 Posts)
Hellyjelly Wed 30-Nov-22 09:28:40

I’ve been prescribed a 10mg dose and have been taking it for 2 weeks. Over the weekend I suffered palpitations and felt really anxious but understand that things get worse before they get better. All my side effects seem to be text book - nausea, worsening anxiety, vivid dreams, headaches. In your experience, how long do the side effects of this drug persist? And when can I expect to feel better than I did at the outset? Thanks all

B9exchange Wed 30-Nov-22 09:35:48

Everyone reacts differently to drugs, but please don't think you have to endure misery in the hope it will get better eventually. I would book an appointment with whoever prescribed the Citalopram and ask for their advice. My son was on it and it really helped him, but mercifully he didn't have your side effects.

silverlining48 Wed 30-Nov-22 09:39:38

Dh has taken this fir years as has a good friend if ours. They both take 20 mg. It has worked fir them and though he can’t remember how he was at the start it has helped enormously.
Two weeks isn’t long, try not to worry, or have a word with a pharmacist in any chemist. Hope you feel better soon.

BladeAnnie Wed 30-Nov-22 09:39:54

Typically antidepressants take around a month before you feel any benefit. I'm a registered mental health nurse and generally would say it is usually worth sticking with it for this time BUT at the same time don't ignore any physical side effects. Were you prescribed the drug by your gp? If so it may be worth seeing if you can speak to someone at the practice to put your mind at ease or see you if necessary. Good luck and remember if this medication doesn't work for you there are others you can try

henetha Wed 30-Nov-22 09:42:16

I was on it for about three years and was lucky not to experience those unpleasant side effects. I hope it settles down and really helps you to feel better.

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Nov-22 10:30:30

Hello Helly
I’m on 40 mg Citalopram.
I think that I must have started on 10mg, and then having reported no side effects, the GP put it up to 20mg (which I think is the ‘normal’ dose).
Before this I was prescribed a different antidepressant, but I had similar side effects to you, so my GP swapped it to Citalopram.
I’m not sure if it’s true that you always feel worse before you get better.
My husband is on Sertraline. He never had side effects and they worked almost immediately. (He was previously in a right state).
Do you have a follow up appointment booked?
If I were you, and I didn’t feel better in the next few days, I’d definitely ask for a different one. It’s not unusual for GPs to try different ones before you find one that works for you.
Good luck. And please don’t suffer needlessly; get an appointment.
Best wishes to you thanks

Babs758 Wed 30-Nov-22 11:28:58

Similar here. I was on 10mg and upped to 20mg. I found after a month I could feel the benefits. When I came off it my GP advised halving the dose for a month and then coming off completely.

benadams201 Wed 30-Nov-22 18:28:43

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

grannydarkhair Wed 30-Nov-22 18:30:12

Reported.

VioletSky Wed 30-Nov-22 18:58:44

I took this for a few years and it wasn't too bad for side effects at the start

Please keep your GP informed about how you feel because it may not be right for you

icanhandthemback Wed 30-Nov-22 19:03:34

I took this for a while but starrted on a dose every other day as I often suffer badly with side effects. My GP says to take things very slowly if you are suffering and it will gradually subside.

rafichagran Wed 30-Nov-22 19:15:14

I have been taking citalapram for a long time. I did not have aide effects. I take them to take them, they enable me to work and to keep calmer.
I hope your side effects settle soon,If not see your GP.

rafichagran Wed 30-Nov-22 19:19:09

Have any side effects
I take them as they enable me to work.
Predictive text

avitorl Wed 30-Nov-22 20:15:25

I had side effects for about a month when I started taking it.I have been on it for years and it has really helped me to feel better. It is the best Anti D I have ever been on but I also think it's initial side effects were also the worst.
I hope it helps you feel better soon.

Hellyjelly Wed 30-Nov-22 20:20:41

Thank you everyone.

LucyLocket55 Wed 30-Nov-22 20:22:18

I’ve taken 10mg of Citalopram for nearly 10 years. I have tried to come off it but notice my mood dipping and I get over emotional so I’ve continued with it. Best think I ever did was to go on these tablets. My main side effect was ,strangely, the lining of the inside of my mouth seemed to come away, but it soon stopped.

I wish I had gone on them years ago and 10 mg is a ‘baby dose’ I was told.

Coolgran65 Wed 30-Nov-22 22:28:26

I started Citalopram at 10mg then after a week up to 20. I didn't realise how flat, sad and anxious I was until I felt better. One day about 4 weeks after I started I woke up and felt different. The sun was shining and I felt joy. No side effects that I recall. After a few years I went down to 10 and then eventually weaned myself off, my own decision. This was because my new RLS Consultant said that there was a chance the citalopram could be having a negative affect on my RLS. That was two years ago and I still feel fine. I'd have no hesitation in taking them again.

mrshat Thu 01-Dec-22 19:46:23

I've been taking this for years. I remember the first month or so I was ratty, bad humoured and a right pain to live with but after that it was fine. I increased the dosage as necessary (via GP of course) but now, in my mid 70s have reduced the dosage to 10 mg again as it can have side effects (eg falling!) as you get older. Overall, it has been very beneficial.

Hellyjelly Fri 02-Dec-22 15:21:45

Hi all, just a quick update. Spoke to the GP today. She has switched me to Sertraline 50mg due to the constant headaches and the Citalopram showing no positive improvement after 3 weeks. I found her very condescending but may as well try what she has recommended - Christmas is coming and I can’t listen to the constant cheesy Christmas music on the radio or get my head around any of it at the moment. I’m due to return to work (in the NHS) next Thursday and I’m already dreading it. Oh to just feel “normal” again!

Rosiecat Fri 02-Dec-22 15:30:44

Hellyjelly
Hope Sertraline works for you. It does seem to help most people.
Unfortunately when I tried it I had to stop after a few weeks as it gave me constant diarrhoea. Not ideal as I was working full time and helping my daughter with a new baby.
Please let us know how you get on.

icanhandthemback Fri 02-Dec-22 15:55:20

I am on sertraline now and it works well for me so I hope it will for you.

Hellyjelly Fri 09-Dec-22 14:12:24

So a little update. Started Sertraline 50mg and the headaches continue the same as they did with the Citalopram. Do I feel any better? Honestly - flat at best, low at worst. But anxiety under control a lot of the time. Haven’t been at work since the 26th Nov. Keen to return but still very up and down. GP unsympathetic - she asked what I’d like her to do for me. I said “well, you’re the medical professional, you tell me”. Her reply - “I don’t have a magic wand to wave”! So, should I
increase the dose? Or do I just keep going on the 50mg? What are your experiences?

Patsy70 Fri 09-Dec-22 14:28:30

No experience, so cannot advice, but I don’t think much of your GP’s manner!

Patsy70 Fri 09-Dec-22 14:28:44

advise

pascal30 Fri 09-Dec-22 16:01:11

Definitely change your GP... not acceptable no matter how stressed she is.. talk about lack of compassion to someone with depression!!