Gransnet forums

Health

Pain after fall

(12 Posts)
Sallywally1 Tue 06-Dec-22 16:04:35

I am 66 and generally fit. I had a fall in the garden mast summer (I confess after s couple of glasses of vino ). The ground was hard, but we had poured the paddling pool out so was slippery. It was dusk and I was carrying too much. I slid the whole length of the garden according to my neighbour and have had a quite severe pain in my groin/top of leg. Worse on walking. I cannot lie on it. X rays were normal. I also had a couple of falls up some stairs. GP says probably soft tissue injury, but it won’t go! The latter falls were minus the vino which I have now given up a! Any ideas?

VioletSky Tue 06-Dec-22 16:13:10

I think you need to the GP and have this investigated. Sounds like they either missed something or looked for an injury in the wrong place. Sometimes the pain is not where the actual injury is

Ali23 Tue 06-Dec-22 16:21:00

Has your practice got a physio? They can be very helpful too.

Nell8 Tue 06-Dec-22 16:33:24

I'm sorry to hear you're still suffering, Sallywally
I fell down some steps and injured soft tissue in my back. The area was still swollen months later. I think it took about 14 months for the pain to disappear completely. Ice packs, anti-inflammatories and a TENS belt helped a bit. This isn't what you want to hear, I'm afraid, but I understand injuries to muscles, ligaments etc are slow to heal.
I paid for physio which involved ultrasound treatment but that didn't help really. However, it was reassuring to have an expert confirm that the healing process could be lengthy.

Skydancer Tue 06-Dec-22 16:37:11

Yes the healing process can be very slow when it comes to soft tissue. I am still suffering 8 months after a fracture.The break has mended but the soft tissue is the problem. I highly recommend physiotherapy as you will be shown ways to help yourself.

Sallywally1 Tue 06-Dec-22 21:01:23

Thanks I’ve been referred to physio, still waiting. The pain is a bit less, but I still have a limp. I’ve not been physically examined at all! Don’t doctors examine people anymore? I have an upcoming appointment with uro gynae and will mention it then.

CanadianGran Tue 06-Dec-22 21:22:16

My DH after years of hip pain was recommended for an MRI, which revealed a hip labral tear. I hadn't heard of it before, but it is the cartilage around the hip joint. Apparently they are caused by injury rather than wear, and tend not to heal very quickly. My DH is on the list to see a surgeon. Lord knows how long that will take! Meanwhile it is cold-packs in the evening for him.

Soft tissue injuries are hard to see with xrays, and take a long time to heal. Good luck with the physiotherapist, they can make good recommendations for pain relief and strengthening exercises.

Forlornhope Tue 06-Dec-22 21:45:18

VioletSky

I think you need to the GP and have this investigated. Sounds like they either missed something or looked for an injury in the wrong place. Sometimes the pain is not where the actual injury is

My back injury started as an ugly pain in my groin. I was told nerves from the back go through the groin.

veejay Tue 06-Dec-22 21:54:30

I have had hip problems for the last few months .also pain in groin and pelvis .and buttock area
I was surprised to get an appointment with a muscular skeletal Dr yesterday and today offered X-ray on Friday at 2 pm.he said it is arthritis .So just waiting to see result of Xray
I did have some tests with him .resistance tests etc
I have had a few falls in the past.but can hardly put my foot to the ground in a morning ,as my leg gives way and very painful when I try to turn over in bed
Painful after walking for a long way
Hope you get seen soon

VioletSky Wed 07-Dec-22 19:29:23

forlornhope yes it's a strange thing

I had awful shoulder pain for years and couldn't move my arm well. Did physio and massage and nothing worked until they figured out it was a trapped nerve in my neck, fixed by simple stretching

Charleygirl5 Wed 07-Dec-22 19:35:39

VioletSky anybody with half a brain and orthopaedic knowledge should have worked out that your neck was the culprit. It took me 10 seconds!

VioletSky Wed 07-Dec-22 19:38:16

Yeah

Bad luck or bad days I guess

We got there in the end with a different doctor and I did enjoy the water physio lol