Gransnet forums

Health

cellulitis

(22 Posts)
tiredoldwoman Fri 27-Jan-23 07:16:28

Any tips to speed up recovery ? On my 2nd week of antibiotics, leg still on fire, taking omeprazole to enable Ibuprofen, cold gentle compresses,raised legs etc . I've had this mildy years ago when it was just hot and tender and antibiotics worked fast but this time it's really terrible - I coped with a knee replacement better ! Have seen the doc 4 times , he changed the first lot of antibiotics then gave me another weeks supply . Any ideas ?

Sparklefizz Fri 27-Jan-23 09:20:46

I can't offer any tips, I'm afraid, but just wanted to say how sorry I am because I understand from my aunt how painful it can be. Definitely pester your doctor over it because you may need stronger painkillers or yet another change of antibiotics. I hope you soon get rid of it.
flowers

tiredoldwoman Fri 27-Jan-23 09:54:14

Thank you Sparklefizz , if no improvement over the weekend I'll need to pester the poor doctor again . Thank you for supporting this decision - I'm away to put the feet up and watch The Catch that you recommended!

Antonia Fri 27-Jan-23 09:56:03

I found that compression socks helped enormously. The pain reduced as soon as I put them on. I also bought a foot roller - a thing like a dog's bone, with little nodules sticking up. That helped a bit too. Good luck and I hope it doesn't last long for you, it's awful.

M0nica Fri 27-Jan-23 10:11:11

It's a horrible thing to have and often lands people up in hospital. A friend recently spent three weeks in hospital. The second time they have had it and the second time they ended up with a prolonged hospital stay.

Take great care of it tiredoldwoman and do not hesitate to go back to the GP or to A&E.

Here is the NHS link www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/skin-hair-and-nails/cellulitis Scan down to the section headed Outlook for cellulitis read it and be aware.

Marydoll Fri 27-Jan-23 10:16:23

I can empathise with you, tiredoldwoman. I have had it a few times, usually starts in hot weather. The first time was on a day trip to Seville, my legs became twice their size in a matter of hours. I hadn't a clue what was going on.

The last time, I avoided hospital by the skin of my teeth.
I hope you feel better soon.

SueDonim Fri 27-Jan-23 11:21:47

Maybe they need to do a test to see which germ is causing it, Tiredoldwoman. It sounds throughly horrible. flowers

My super-fit son-in-law was hospitalised with cellulitis a couple of years ago. It began on his face and he was whisked into hospital at lightening speed because of the danger of spreading to the brain. He’d never been in hospital in his life before!

Sparklefizz Fri 27-Jan-23 11:48:05

tiredoldwoman How long have you been taking the new antibiotics? If 3+ days, then don't wait until after the weekend to phone your doctor because they should have started taking effect.

If you can't get through to your doctor for any information today, then ring 111 over the weekend because you don't want to let it get worse if you have read the previous posts. Don't tell yourself you're making a fuss (which we are all prone to do) but get some help quickly. You have given it long enough.

silverlining48 Fri 27-Jan-23 12:19:16

I have had this twice so know how painful and scary it can be.
I used a pen to outline the redness so could watch speed of it getting bigger. A course of strong anti biotics both times worked fairly quickly.
If your antibiotics aren’t working you should contact your gp sooner rather than later.
You have my sympathy. Get well soon.

welbeck Fri 27-Jan-23 16:58:44

can you get to an urgent treatment centre or A&E ?
maybe someone else needs to look at it.
i would go if u were you.
i have seen some horrendous complications.
won't go into details, but now i react differently.
good luck.

tiredoldwoman Fri 27-Jan-23 20:09:28

yes , i think i need to go yet again . Thanks for all your advice .

silverlining48 Fri 27-Jan-23 23:17:00

If you can get through try 111 tomorrow and see what they say.

Starrynight49 Sat 28-Jan-23 05:01:13

Personally I'd advise going to A+E . After two weeks and two different types of antibiotics, the situation should be improving by now. It sounds as if you need to have some intravenous antibiotics, rather than soldiering on with oral ones. Don't take this lightly - cellulitis can have serious repercussions if not treated properly.

mummytummy Sat 28-Jan-23 05:20:33

I had cellulitis a few years ago, ended up in hospital because I was hallucinating, scary time.. managed to get discharged home with district nurses coming 4 x a day to administer IV antibiotics, also self administered clexane daily due to being immobile (didn’t want blood clots as well).

Don’t worry about making a fuss, as we get older they think we’re becoming demented when in fact it’s an infection 😂😂

tiredoldwoman Sat 28-Jan-23 08:14:01

5th visit to doc last night and new antibiotics given . Ironically I'm feeling a bit better today , maybe psychological ! Thanks for all your encouragement x

Marydoll Sat 28-Jan-23 08:22:15

So glad to hear, that you didn't waste any more time. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 💐

M0nica Sat 28-Jan-23 08:27:03

Better safe than sorry with cellulitis. I am glad you are feeling better.

BlueBelle Sat 28-Jan-23 08:31:02

Tiredoldwoman lease go to Aand E I don’t want to shatter any hope but I was like you the antibiotics didn’t work and all the time the redline was creeping higher up my leg after the second different lot of antibiotics did nothing and the redness had gone from my toe where it started to the start of my thigh the doctor sent me to hospital They gave me intravenous anti biotics and sent me home an hour or so later, and it started going down almost miraculously and within a couple of days I was completely fine

Please go to A and E or ask your doctor to send you unless there is a rapid improvement ….. two weeks is too long don’t wait any longer

Sparklefizz Sat 28-Jan-23 09:17:30

Tiredoldwoman So pleased that you acted quickly and have got some different antibiotics and are already feeling a bit better. Hope you soon feel back to normal. flowers

SueDonim Sat 28-Jan-23 12:43:50

Hopefully that’s the new antibiotics kicking in, Tiredoldwoman. 🤞 Hope you feel better soon!

Charleygirl5 Sat 28-Jan-23 15:49:33

Group A Streptococcus is normally the bug causing the problems. If there is the slightest sign after 48 hours the new antibiotic is not working please go to A&E and have IV antibiotics.

HowVeryDareYou Sat 28-Jan-23 16:24:48

tiredoldwoman Glad you're starting to feel a bit better. I had Cellulitis in my lower legs, at the age of about 30 (The GP thought by nicking them whilst shaving) and then I had it in my face a few years ago. I was put on 2 types of antibiotic at the same time (Metronidazole and Clarithromycin)