Gransnet forums

Health

Alcohol after acute pancreatitis

(4 Posts)
Sophiasnana Sat 04-Feb-23 21:02:13

I was diagnosed with gallstones a couple of years ago. I was on the waiting list for gall bladder removal when I was rushed to hospital with acute pancreatitis and had an emergency cholecystectomy. I was advised to abstain from alcohol for a while. Now, 6 months on, I have tried the occasional glass of wine. But even after two small glasses, I have a terrible nights sleep and nausea. Has anyone else had experience with this?

sodapop Sat 04-Feb-23 22:19:31

Not personally but I have a friend who had the same problem. Only one solution I'm afraid - no alcohol. My friend's consultant told him to steer clear of alcohol as it would cause him a lot of pain and he would end up back in hospital. He found it difficult at first but there are a lot of alcohol free beers and wines available now.

Fleurpepper Sat 04-Feb-23 22:30:26

A friend of our was also told the same- no alcohol, ever, or it will all kick off again.

Mitzigem Sat 04-Feb-23 22:43:52

I’ve had my gallbladder removed. Best thing I ever did, no problems whatsoever with that . You also have pancreatitis flare ups which I know alcohol can aggravate. My brother suffered terrible with that and alcohol was the culprit in his case . If it keeps on happening , you may need to decide if you will still enjoy that drink , or hopefully it eases off. Hard to say .