Gransnet forums

Health

Kimchi for IBS

(18 Posts)
MayBee70 Wed 08-Feb-23 02:29:16

I recently watched an interview with Steph McGovern in which she talks about suffering from IBS throughout her adult life and how she has now got on top of by changing her eating habits. This includes eating a lot of kimchi. I know that people in eastern countries eat lots of it at all times of day and seem to be much healthier than those of us eating a western diet. I’m no good at making things like this so wondered if anyone had any recommendations for shop bought kimchi, kefir etc. I’ve just bought some kimchi from Tescos. Along with all the prebiotic powder and probiotic capsules my gut bacteria will think it’s party time! She also recommended the 16/8 diet which I was on until Christmas and I’m struggling to get back into the routine as I struggle with the late night munchies! Like Steph, my IBS had just become such part of my life I just learned to live with it and, pre internet there wasn’t the advice available. As with a lot of things I wish I could turn the clock back and not have to constantly need to know where the nearest loo was every time I went anywhere.

CocoPops Wed 08-Feb-23 06:29:11

A low-FODMAP diet put an end to my IBS which was awful. The book I found that helped me is "Low-FODMAP and VEGAN by Jo Stepaniak. The author gives an excellent explanation of IBS and FODMAP and incudes advice and recipes. I am not vegan and added dairy and eggs to the diet.
Hope that helps.

teabagwoman Wed 08-Feb-23 06:38:29

The low FODMAP diet has helped me too. I use the Monash University app, easy to use and enables me to plan my diet. Once I’d done the elimination phase I was able to re-introduce dairy and small portions of most foods.

MayBee70 Wed 08-Feb-23 06:56:46

She said in the interview that you tend to stick to safe foods which results in your digestive system not having the diversity it needs to be healthy. In recent years I’ve had to plan ahead if I was going somewhere for a day. Have to sit at the end of the row if I go to the cinema or theatre. At the supermarket, once it was my turn to be served and I couldn’t escape I’d panic. I watched the whole series of Know Your on Ch4 catchup. It was a revelation. All the years of thinking it was ‘just me’.

MayBee70 Wed 08-Feb-23 06:58:30

‘Know Your S***….that was…

karmalady Wed 08-Feb-23 07:19:46

There is a lot of salt in kimchi. Kefir is better and you can make it at home

Casdon Wed 08-Feb-23 07:44:19

Different foods and drinks are made by different species of bacteria and yeasts though, aren’t they karmalady, so you should have both to maximise the impact?
I’ve used Biona kimchi, which I got in Holland and Barrett, that doesn’t contain any preservatives, but I had to force myself to eat it, kimchi is definitely an acquired taste! I’ve also seen it in the Polish food section in Tesco, but not sure if that one contained preservative - I know sometimes it is pasteurised, which obviously kills the bacteria.

MayBee70 Wed 08-Feb-23 07:45:00

The latest ZOE App podcast is very good. Is it easy to make kefir? I’ve bought some to put in my smoothies.

LRavenscroft Wed 08-Feb-23 07:52:20

I have been on the Fodmap diet too and try to eat a rainbow of colours and small portions of different food types. The one thing they all have in common is that they are not processed i.e. I'll eat an avocado or beetroot sandwich! I tend to make most of my food from scratch and if I do go to a restaurant I will eat the simplest food i.e. salad, vegetable side serving. Anything spicy or with sauces is to be avoided. And yes, the loo thing I understand. I try to make all my outings/appointments afternoon. But, I have been watching the latest programme on TV about knowing your own poop. Also, I try calming techniques. Last week I frightened myself and set the whole cycle into action again.

MayBee70 Wed 08-Feb-23 08:11:35

Years ago I did a complete detox over several weeks. I felt so good that I knew if I continued it I’d be so much healthier but, as usual, I slipped back into bad eating habits. Bread is always my downfall. Although I do seem to be tolerating brown bread more than I used to. I nearly had a terrible accident in a restaurant whilst on holiday in Greece. Thankfully I was ok but it really affected me psychologically. And one of my earliest memories is of being caught short outside a shop when I was very very young. I wonder if that’s when it all started? I don’t remember much about my early childhood: only embarrassing things! Like when I walked out of primary school thinking it was home time and someone ran after me because it wasn’t!

silverlining48 Wed 08-Feb-23 08:56:53

I have problem too so have been watching the ch4 poo programme, it was on last night ch4

Redhead56 Wed 08-Feb-23 09:33:06

I eat half a jar of kimchi without it even getting on a plate. Sauerkraut and Moryn green tomatoes (from Asda) are good for your digestive system. I eat gherkins and I pickle beetroots onions and make chutney from what I can. Some might say the vinegar isn’t good for your teeth that may be right but it’s better than IBS and running for the loo.

MayBee70 Wed 08-Feb-23 10:20:12

silverlining48

I have problem too so have been watching the ch4 poo programme, it was on last night ch4

I literally stayed up all night and watched the whole series thinking that someone would have the exact same problems that I’ve always had but they all seemed very diverse and I got a bit confused about the advice that was given. I’ve always wondered why people subject themselves to airing their problems on tv but I think I would have done so if I’d thought they could have helped me. All I know is I have a bad relationship with my digestive system in that I’ll say ‘I’m ok’ but my gut will give a nasty grin and go ‘ oh no you’re not..’

Callistemon21 Wed 08-Feb-23 10:26:28

DD makes her own fermented vegetables and also makes some Japanese fermented tea which is supposed to be good.

Kombucha? I must say, it's an acquired taste.

DaisyAnne Wed 08-Feb-23 13:30:19

LRavenscroft

I have been on the Fodmap diet too and try to eat a rainbow of colours and small portions of different food types. The one thing they all have in common is that they are not processed i.e. I'll eat an avocado or beetroot sandwich! I tend to make most of my food from scratch and if I do go to a restaurant I will eat the simplest food i.e. salad, vegetable side serving. Anything spicy or with sauces is to be avoided. And yes, the loo thing I understand. I try to make all my outings/appointments afternoon. But, I have been watching the latest programme on TV about knowing your own poop. Also, I try calming techniques. Last week I frightened myself and set the whole cycle into action again.

Both avocado and beetroot are high fodmap LRevenscroft. I would be very wary of both. Pickled beetroot is okay.

I rarely eat anything pre-prepared these days, either, but do love finding the odd item that is FODMAP friendly by accident.

I think that, if people understood that what you are excluding are sugars you can't digest and get out of your system easily. If they remain in your stomach they ferment. All the research done by Monash University has shown this will help most but not all with IBS.

karmalady Fri 10-Feb-23 07:50:01

I make my kefir with goats milk. I used to always make my own sauerkraut, kimchi, unpasteurised. I know the amount of salt in them.

I only need my kefir these days. I also take 1/4tsp triphala powder in warm water in the early evening. My gut is now healthy and it shows in my skin. Skin/gut is one body system

MayBee70 Fri 10-Feb-23 07:55:34

I need to find out how to make it myself. What’s triphala? ( just going to Google it…). I take a prebiotic. I had terrible indigestion when I first started taking it so it must have done something….I’m fine with it now. I’m having a kefir smoothie for breakfast these days.

MayBee70 Fri 10-Feb-23 08:00:06

I see it’s Ayurvedic. I’m a great believer in that. I’ll consult my nutrition Bible….