Gransnet forums

Health

Supplement recommendations please

(26 Posts)
Starof1972 Wed 08-Feb-23 09:17:45

Good morning everyone!
I have felt a marked lack of energy over the past few months - all blood tests are within normal range. I am in my mid 60s, a stone heavier than I'd like to be, have RA, diabetes and heart disease but I do manage to walk for 30 minutes most days and do strengthening exercises at home.

My GP has suggested that a multivitamin and mineral supplement may help so I wonder if anyone can recommend a brand or company that they trust and find effective?

I did speak to my local pharmacist about this and she recommended Seven Seas but I'm sure there must be other excellent brands out there.

Thank you.

aggie Wed 08-Feb-23 09:19:21

I always trust the Pharmacist

toscalily Wed 08-Feb-23 09:25:40

Boots own are cheaper than branded and they often have 3 for two offers.

Starof1972 Wed 08-Feb-23 09:30:02

Thank you both. Yes Boots may be a good place to start. The pharmacist I spoke to didn't seem very interested to be honest - rather vague - but perhaps I'll try another chemist. Or maybe H&B as I forgot about them and I imagine their staff are pretty knowledgeable.

Boomer1947 Wed 08-Feb-23 09:31:20

Good morning. I use a wonderful company based in Cambridge called FUTURE YOU. You phone them to say what you would like and then set up a direct debit. They post the items to you. Magnesium, turmeric, vitamin D and C are all proved to be supplements older people can benefit from.
please see their website. There is no hard sell, I promise.

growstuff Wed 08-Feb-23 09:43:39

Be very careful with magnesium. Too much can cause calcium to be deposited in the arteries rather than the bones, which can be a risk factor for heart attacks. Too much Vitamin B can affect the kidneys. As I'm sure you're aware, diabetics have a high risk of heart attacks/strokes and kidney disease, so overdosing on vitamins could be dangerous.

To be honest, if you're a stone overweight, you might find that losing the excess weight would help with your energy levels.

Starof1972 Wed 08-Feb-23 12:53:59

Yes I'm aware of the dangers to diabetics. With regards to the extra stone I'm carrying, I have always been just under 9 stone but was bed bound for most of last year and am still taking steroids - no-one knows the personal circumstances affecting those of us who post asking for advice. Thanks to you all anyway.

welbeck Wed 08-Feb-23 13:03:36

i doubt there is much real difference between them.
why don't you start with a supermarket one.
i get them from Lidl. much cheaper than boots.
superdrug is usually cheaper too.
i get Lidl's multivitamin with iron.

MiniMoon Wed 08-Feb-23 13:07:22

I take Vitabiotics Wellwoman 70+ multi vitamins tablets daily. I started taking them when my vitamin D tablets were unavailable. My nails have never been better.

Starof1972 Wed 08-Feb-23 17:29:45

Thank you both! I have ordered the Vitabiotics and my husband is going to buy himself some of the basics range from Lidl or Aldi tomorrow. I'll have a good look at the labels to compare!

growstuff Wed 08-Feb-23 17:50:27

Starof1972

Yes I'm aware of the dangers to diabetics. With regards to the extra stone I'm carrying, I have always been just under 9 stone but was bed bound for most of last year and am still taking steroids - no-one knows the personal circumstances affecting those of us who post asking for advice. Thanks to you all anyway.

I wasn't "blaming" you for being overweight, but if you're bedbound and overweight, that's likely to be the reason for your lack of energy. I can't see how a supplement will counteract that, but for your sake I hope I'm wrong.

PS. I'm diabetic and know from my own personal circumstances how much even a slight imbalance in blood sugars and/or weight gain affects me. I don't take supplements, but I have invested in a blood sugar monitor and I buy testing strips.

Starof1972 Wed 08-Feb-23 18:03:37

I test regularly too.

Katyj Wed 08-Feb-23 19:20:04

I used to take seven seas multibionta they had a probiotics in them too. I’ve been unable to find them for ages, but I’ve found boots do their own version so started them recently. Hope their as good.

Charleygirl5 Wed 08-Feb-23 19:53:32

I would not waste my money. If your GP really thought it would help he would have prescribed something. I would concentrate on a good diet, fresh fruit and vegetables. As others have said, it can be risky and with some, you may be peeing it away!

V3ra Wed 08-Feb-23 23:56:32

I get my supplements online from Healthspan. They come in letterbox-friendly boxes.
If you set up a repeat order there is a £2 price reduction.
The website has lots of useful information and articles.

Starof1972 Thu 09-Feb-23 08:04:01

Thank you, I think I will take the time to read up more whilst I give these a month to see if they help - I should have done that first off of course but I was eager to make changes yesterday as it coincided with other beneficial steps I took and I'm looking at it as a new start smile Thanks again!

NannyJan53 Thu 09-Feb-23 08:13:54

When Mum (aged 92) was feeling tired and drained of energy. She didn't want to go anywhere, or do anything. Her doctor ordered a blood test. When the doctor received the results, she prescribed Vit B12, Folic Acid and Vit D.

Within 6 weeks, Mum was a new woman!

Starof1972 Thu 09-Feb-23 08:23:58

That's really interesting, thank you. My B12 results and Vitamin D levels were borderline but within acceptable range. I do take a high dose of Vitamin D year round but hopefully the B12 in this supplement will help.

Patsy70 Thu 09-Feb-23 09:17:38

V3ra, I also use Healthspan, and recommend them. Lots of useful advice and information in their literature and online. I’m sure you already know this Starof1972, but focussing on the foods that contain these vital vitamins is the first step, and avoiding the unhealthy food is important. If you would like to lose the weight you’ve gained maybe join a class? I do hope you feel better soon - the long, cold, dark days are nearly over, and a return to sunshine and warmth will help. 💐

Starof1972 Thu 09-Feb-23 09:55:50

Patsy70 thank you for that. I eat a very healthy diet in the main but perhaps a litte too much of it over the past few months blush However, I am slowly decreasing the steroids as of yesterday and have a friend who is a personal trainer and he will start me on a gentle regime to loosen up my joints. I insist on paying him the going rate, despite his kind offer of free sessions, and I am feeling positive. Combined with my walking I hope to feel the benefit. I have 11lbs to lose as of this morning and I know that's completely doable in time for the warmer weather!
Thanks for the encouragement and the flowers smile

growstuff Thu 09-Feb-23 13:11:13

Starof1972

That's really interesting, thank you. My B12 results and Vitamin D levels were borderline but within acceptable range. I do take a high dose of Vitamin D year round but hopefully the B12 in this supplement will help.

Just a thought. Do you take Metformin? It affects the absorption of Vit B12, which means that it's not being absorbed, no matter how much you take orally. It could be that you need injections.

Starof1972 Thu 09-Feb-23 13:33:25

Thank you for pointing that out as I wasn't aware and I do take Metformin. Now that I'm in a position to make these changes I realise that there is much I should research. When results are borderline I feel it warrants further testing after a few months so I will ask for that.

Wyllow3 Thu 09-Feb-23 14:15:10

I take Wellwoman 70+ too, and in addition, Vitamin D and a probiotic for tum health.

growstuff Thu 09-Feb-23 14:25:56

Starof1972

Thank you for pointing that out as I wasn't aware and I do take Metformin. Now that I'm in a position to make these changes I realise that there is much I should research. When results are borderline I feel it warrants further testing after a few months so I will ask for that.

Sorry to sound a bit like a know-it-all, but I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes 30 years ago and I've learnt quite a bit along the way.

I was taking the maximum dose of Metformin for years, but changed to Dapagliflozin about 18 months ago. It's more expensive than Metformin and one of the newer diabetes drugs. Unfortunately, some GPs haven't even heard about it, but it has been shown to protect the heart. I've had a heart attack and the new GP I was lucky enough to see changed my meds immediately. I've reduced my dose of Metformin and I noticed within weeks that I had more energy and felt fitter. My glucose readings are consistently lower too.

That's in addition to eating a very low carb diet and making sure I keep moving.

growstuff Thu 09-Feb-23 14:26:45

PS. Blood Vitamin B12 tests won't show whether you're absorbing it.