Gransnet forums

Health

Went to Boots today to buy some basic things.

(51 Posts)
MayBee70 Thu 30-Nov-23 17:21:31

Benelyn, castor oil and chloramphenicol eye cream. Boots can’t get the eye cream ( haven’t been able to get it for months) and Benelyn is unavailable. No one seems to sell castor oil any more. Given that it’s impossible to get a doctors appointment how are we supposed to treat ourselves when even cough medicine isn’t available. I was given a Boots equivalent but it isn’t going to work as well as Benelyn ( if at all).

crazyH Thu 30-Nov-23 17:26:12

Have you tried Tesco Pharmacy? They seem to have just about everything.

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Nov-23 17:27:38

I found Bronchostop was very good, Maybee.

Did the pharmacist see you to discuss what might be a good alternative treatment for your eyes and to check that they are infected and it's not dry eye or something else?

I'm not sure what castor oil is used for but Holland and Barrett sell it, I think.

Suki70 Thu 30-Nov-23 17:30:25

My local small Boots store is poorly stocked lately whereas the large and small ones in the next town has everything. A friend bought me Benylin and other medicine yesterday at our local independent pharmacy so it is available.

crazyH Thu 30-Nov-23 17:31:44

Callistemon - I’m sure Mum used to give us a tablespoonful of the awful stuff if we were constipated - sure did the job 😂

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 30-Nov-23 17:31:50

You can buy the eye drops here
www.theindependentpharmacy.co.uk/eye-infections/chloramphenicol-0.1-eye-ointment?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxOPt5p_sggMV2otQBh0Xfgr2EAQYBCABEgINJPD_BwE

Superdrug online sell castor oil and Benylin (note the spelling or you won’t find it). Maybe in their shops too if you have one nearby,

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Nov-23 17:34:01

crazyH

Callistemon - I’m sure Mum used to give us a tablespoonful of the awful stuff if we were constipated - sure did the job 😂

Didn't pregnant women take it years ago if they were overdue?

I don't know how it was supposed to work!

Boz Thu 30-Nov-23 17:35:43

Chloramphenicol eye cream. can be bought cheaply on line. Just google it. Also, all your pharmacy needs. I also have Lloyds Chemist deal with and post my pescriptions. No need to walk through a chemist door these days.

BlueBelle Thu 30-Nov-23 17:35:58

We got chloramphenicol from Asda pharmacy last week

rosie1959 Thu 30-Nov-23 17:36:52

Amazon usually have most things. We like Fullers Earth cream can rarely get it anywhere but Amazon
Opticians usually carry a range of eye treatments

Bella23 Thu 30-Nov-23 17:48:40

Callistemon21

crazyH

Didn't pregnant women take it years ago if they were overdue?

I don't know how it was supposed to work!

Like an enema, it can work VERY quickly. My gran proved it to me when I was three it was so traumatic I still remember all the details. Two doses of Caster oil and a sit on a potty of hot water.

I think in childbirth they thought the enema would start your contractions and you had to sip Raspberry leaf tea at the same time. I certainly never put that into practice.blush

MayBee70 Thu 30-Nov-23 17:50:13

I’ve got some Bronchostop: I agree it is very good. I’ve got some in my winter lurgy medicine box. I thought that, after having a cold that wouldn’t go away last year I’d keep the right things in stock this year so I’ve got a Beconase, Broncho stop and saline nasal spray in a bag. I just woke up this morning full of catarrh and my first thought was that I needed Benylin. It was quite a big branch of Boots that we went to. DH went in without me and just came back with the Boots substitute saying not just that they were out of stock but couldn’t get it. And yet it seems to be available online.

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Nov-23 17:51:21

Don't mention raspberry leaf tea! I was advised to take that, terrible stuff.
DC arrived early and very rapidly.

maddyone Thu 30-Nov-23 17:51:56

My local branch of Savers has castor oil and Benelyn Maybee. Do you have a branch near you? Or Superdrug? They have lots of cough medicines including Benelyn.
I went to Waitrose today and they had Benelyn but I didn’t notice castor oil.
I’m unsure about the eye cream, you’re probably going to need a pharmacy for that.
Our local Boots is rubbish too. I rarely go there now. Half the shelves are empty.

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Nov-23 17:54:10

X post, that was to Bella23

maddyone Thu 30-Nov-23 17:55:58

Oh I used Maybee’sspelling for Benylin, thank you GMS for pointing out the right spelling to me.
There are also online pharmacies that probably sell all three products and will usually deliver the next day. I’ve used online pharmacies for a few things and find them good.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 30-Nov-23 18:01:06

Castor oil and orange juice ( plus a handy slice of bread to stop you from vomiting) yes, given to me by my midwife to induce and overdue baby.

It Didn’t work and it was disgusting.

MayBee70 Thu 30-Nov-23 18:09:36

Didn’t Benylin have chloroform in it years ago? I remember finding it very pleasant to take!

Bella23 Thu 30-Nov-23 18:26:17

Callistemon21

Don't mention raspberry leaf tea! I was advised to take that, terrible stuff.
DC arrived early and very rapidly.

Luckily I never gave that a try and my DD arrived nearly 14 days early by emergency c-section.
I know someone who did and she said it was awful she was also advised to be driven backwards and forwards over a level crossing.

Grandma70s Thu 30-Nov-23 18:36:37

MayBee70

Didn’t Benylin have chloroform in it years ago? I remember finding it very pleasant to take!

Cough remedies in the old days certainly often contained chloroform, also morphine. One of my grandfathers was totally addicted.

Georgesgran Thu 30-Nov-23 19:05:12

I can’t stand the taste of Benylin. I can feel sick thinking about it!
Recently bought Bronchostop which was quite pleasant, but my go to syrup is Covonia, which I mix with a little very hot water.
I’m not sure anything much works on coughs and I’ve heard it’s not ideal to try to suppress them.

MayBee70 Thu 30-Nov-23 19:11:46

I haven’t got a cough, just very catarrhy. Feel I need an expectorant of some kind. Just don’t understand a chemist saying they can’t possibly get hold of something that seems to be readily available everywhere else.

HelterSkelter1 Thu 30-Nov-23 19:12:52

I ordered Benylin Chesty cough from Boots on line with click and collect. Buy 2 bottles and get one at half price.

Our little Boots has half empty shelves. I would not be amazed if it closes next year.

I am tempted to make a winter first aid chest for me and for my daughters...one of whom leaves buying regular things until she is desperate and then buys it at twice the price from a corner shop. She drives me crackers!,!

Suki70 Thu 30-Nov-23 19:13:24

A friend bought me some Benylin this week and she said there were different flavours. She bought caramel and peach and it was quite bland. I have Covid and a dry tickly cough that deprived me of sleep for two whole nights so I was grateful that the Benylin suppressed this and maybe caused my 10 hour sleep last night.

Primrose53 Thu 30-Nov-23 19:22:43

I think Boots days are numbered. All their stores around her have poor opening hours, not enough staff and never have what you want. They have not moved with the times.