Gransnet forums

Health

Mirtazapine

(13 Posts)
Janet21 Mon 04-Dec-23 18:06:32

Has anyone been on these tablets I’ve been on them 5 days 15 mg left them of for 6 days terrible withdrawal symptoms feeling sick no energy and not sleeping

BlueBelle Mon 04-Dec-23 19:04:04

What are they for ?

Georgesgran Mon 04-Dec-23 19:05:48

Can’t really offer any advice, but I’ve had a Google and it seems you have some of the listed side effects.

crazyH Mon 04-Dec-23 19:06:25

Are they antidepressants ?

Grandyma Mon 04-Dec-23 19:20:20

Why did you stop taking them after 5 days? I thought it took a week or two for them to start working

MayBee70 Mon 04-Dec-23 19:25:40

All I know about mirtazapine is that when I first took them they totally knocked me out at first and I couldn’t stop sleeping. I got used to them but then weaned myself off them very slowly.

HowVeryDareYou2 Mon 04-Dec-23 20:06:15

Janet21 As with all antidepressants, they take a few weeks to work. What made you stop taking them? The side effects usually wear off after a week or so. I've been on them for about 5 years, started on 15mg then went to 30, and have been on 45mg for about 4 1/2 years. I wouldn't ever want to feel as terrible as I did without them.

growstuff Mon 04-Dec-23 20:36:46

I was prescribed Mirtazapine years ago. It's an anti-depressant and I was certainly warned that it can take some time to work and I could start off by feeling worse.

It's also used as an aid to sleep, which was one of the main reasons I was prescribed it. Additionally, the way it works often causes weight gain.

Stopping them after five days won't have given them any chance to work, although it's not surprising that there's been a rebound. As others have said, it won't take more than a few days to get them out of your system.

I took them for nearly a year, but decided they weren't working as an anti-depressant. They didn't help much with my sleep either, so with my GP's support, I went cold turkey (against usual advice). Apart from feeling less dopey, I didn't notice much difference, so I guess they just don't work for me.

Luckygirl3 Mon 04-Dec-23 21:37:35

Unfortunately you cannot just stop them suddenly.

Fishwife Thu 07-Dec-23 16:52:43

Why did you come off after five days? Did you discuss with Doctor? I was mega-anxious and not sleeping and when zopiclone didn’t work I was given mertazapine 15. I then slept through the night and was dozy all day. It has now been recommended that I take 30 gm as it will make me less sleepy, foggy-headed during the day. Awaiting prescription. Don’t recall being so affected years ago when on Sertraline but do remember how difficult it was to wean myself off them. I’m not really happy with situation but know I need some help. I know it’s difficult but I think you have to persevere and keep in touch with surgery. ??????

Livey Thu 07-Dec-23 17:20:31

I hope I have put my enquiry in the right place, forgive me if I haven’t.
My question is , has anyone used Revitive for legs etc
I have looked at them, but so expensive I don’t want to waste money.
Advice would be very appreciated

MayBee70 Thu 07-Dec-23 17:42:27

I think there was a thread about this? I’ll try to find it.

BlueSapphire Wed 03-Jan-24 09:00:45

Sorry to revive an old thread, but have only just seen this one.

I've been on Mirtazapine for three years, after trying Sertraline which made me feel terrible. Have had no side effects at all and am happy to continue taking it, especially as I am on the lowest dose.

Was prescribed it for moderate anxiety, and it seems to work ok for that; I no longer dwell on worries, and it has stopped them from ruling my life, and am able to put them to one side. Tried coming off them once as I was feeling so much better, but my doctor advised me to continue with them.

Hope this helps.