Gransnet forums

Health

Ulna nerve compression.

(20 Posts)
ExDancer Wed 21-Feb-24 15:25:47

Can anyone help me find relief from a trapped ulna nerve? It's like having sciatica in your arm (and yes I do know you cannot get sciatica in your arm) and the pain is excruciating and never goes away.
You can follow the nerve path from your shoulder right down your arm to your little finger and the one next to it. And as I said - there's no respite, it never goes away.
I've been given fentanyl patches, gabapentin, pregabalin, oramorph - after each prescription I'm told to give it 3 months to take effect.
So a year goes by and - no relief.
Now I feel sick all the time and am losing weight, I have no appetite. I weigh 7 stone.

BlueBelle Wed 21-Feb-24 15:31:01

Have you tried acupuncture I do think this can help with what seems like unresolvable pain
Cant hurt to give it a try

Sago Wed 21-Feb-24 15:32:19

BlueBelle

Have you tried acupuncture I do think this can help with what seems like unresolvable pain
Cant hurt to give it a try

I second this.
A good acupuncturist can work miracles.

petra Wed 21-Feb-24 15:39:32

There are lots of videos on YouTube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8V8NZPX4bY

Oldnproud Wed 21-Feb-24 17:37:48

You have my sympathy, ExDancer.

Have you not even been referred for physio?

Even aside from the pain (which I can relate to, though my own problem was in the elbow not the shoulder), given that long-term nerve entrapment / compression can lead to serious muscle loss in the hand, it really doesn't seem like something that should be allowed to go on too long without proper treatment.

My own entrapment was confirmed with nerve conduction tests and then operated on, but sadly I don't know if those things are as easy when the nerve is trapped in the shoulder. 😔

ExDancer Fri 23-Feb-24 11:45:40

Thank you for your empathetic replies.
I hadn't thought of acupuncture although I have tried it in the past, and it did help. Cost is rather a problem at the moment, my only income is the state pension ( my husband owns land so we don't qualify for any help from social services) he has no sympathy for aches and pains.
I don't think its available on the NHS.

Shelflife Fri 23-Feb-24 12:09:12

Goodness me , you sound to be in so much pain , try your GP , acupuncture may be available on the NHS. I hope your GP shows more sympathy than you husband!

SeaWoozle Fri 23-Feb-24 14:33:27

petra

There are lots of videos on YouTube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8V8NZPX4bY

My DD partner told me about this a few months ago. Has worked in the past for me as I have a trapped nerve also.

ExDancer Sat 24-Feb-24 11:51:30

My GP said phisio would not help and not to exercise, so i think acupuncture would be best. I will find the cash somehow. From what I remember from last time the pain killing effects didn't last and top up sessions were needed.

ExDancer Tue 27-Feb-24 16:52:34

I took the gabapentin my doc prescribed, and I woke on Saturday morning with a horrific pain in the middle of my chest. I couldn't lift my arms to dress myself and my left arm was more or less useless.
The surgery was closed for the weekend of course.
I phoned 111
They said go to the UTC at the hospital -we no longer have a A&E.
They did an ECG and Xrays and took bloods and the chest pain got worse and worse.
They said Heart OK, lungs OK, stop taking the gabapentin. So here I am, nerve pain and now an additional excruciating chest pain.
So I rang the surgery and have to go in again on Friday (today is Tuesday) for more bloods.
The pain is driving me mad.
They said take paracetamol .............

Dazy Tue 27-Feb-24 21:45:10

Try ice. Also take magnesium supplements. Plus rub the red extra strong Tiger Balm along it because it works better for me than Ibuprofen gel or Voltarol. I have ulnar nerve pain that stems from my shoulder.

Hrt also helps

maddyone Tue 27-Feb-24 22:36:02

I’m delighted and I’m furious, neck problem finally diagnosed and I’m getting treatment

ExDancer, the above is the name of a thread I made a couple of weeks ago, please look at it, it’s under the Health forum. It details my journey from the start of similar pain to that which you describe, pain in the fingers, hand, arm, and shoulder. I was put on a merry go round of conductivity tests, X-rays, seeing physiotherapists, hand consultants and pain medications and nothing helped. It was only when I had an MRI scan that the problem was finally diagnosed. It is narrowing of the cervical spine, causing pressure on the nerve. No amount of medication, physio, or acupuncture will make it better. The narrowing of the spine is age related so it can’t be reversed. I’m about to have a spinal block and steroid injection into my spine. If the relief is insufficient or not long lasting then surgery is the answer. It’s taken me over a year to get a diagnosis after I consulted my GP, and I’d like you to avoid wasting anymore time. Ask your GP for a referral to the Spinal Team so they can investigate. This sort of nerve pain is debilitating and tiring and impacts hugely on the quality of life. I would advise no acupuncture, I tried and it made it worse. I had terrible pain for two days after acupuncture, so I refused any further treatments. You need a diagnosis. You deserve a diagnosis.
Good luck.

ExDancer Wed 06-Mar-24 17:05:04

Back home after another night in hospital, this time in a cubicle in A&E. Had a CAT. scan, and a pulmonary embolism is suspected but not confirmed. The pain in my chest is awful and I'm too tired to even get out of bed.
What do I do

Callistemon21 Wed 06-Mar-24 17:30:34

ExDancer

Thank you for your empathetic replies.
I hadn't thought of acupuncture although I have tried it in the past, and it did help. Cost is rather a problem at the moment, my only income is the state pension ( my husband owns land so we don't qualify for any help from social services) he has no sympathy for aches and pains.
I don't think its available on the NHS.

Well, if it means you're incapacitated I hope your DH is doing everything.

I do feel for you, having had sciatica (it comes for months then goes but comes back) and shoulder problems I think acupuncture would be well worth a try.

Talk to your husband, surely he wants you to get better, soory but there's no point in having land if one of you is in need.

Callistemon21 Wed 06-Mar-24 17:32:54

ExDancer

Back home after another night in hospital, this time in a cubicle in A&E. Had a CAT. scan, and a pulmonary embolism is suspected but not confirmed. The pain in my chest is awful and I'm too tired to even get out of bed.
What do I do

X post, started typing then got distracted by something else, sorry.

What did the hospital say? Why did they send you home? 😡

ExDancer Sun 10-Mar-24 17:56:46

Been too sleepy and tired to post. I've been told to go to see my GP in 2 weeks for a review. So that's what I'll do.

Shelflife Sun 10-Mar-24 22:06:54

ExDancer, I have no experience of this so in no position to advise. I can only imagine the pain and distress you are in. I sincerely hope you can find the cash for treatment you clearly need. 💐💐

JollySailor Sun 10-Mar-24 22:14:27

Ever since our German Shepherd dog pulled on the lead, disclocated my shoulder which was sorted out at the hospital, I have had this pain. Sometimes I cannot even tong my hair, I have to lower my head so it is level with my elbow and brush my hair. I never went to the hospital I have just got used to it flaring up every so often.

ExDancer Tue 12-Mar-24 18:41:03

I know what you mean, when you try to describe it to\\ a doctor it sounds so trivial they just gibe you a months worth of pain killers and hope it will ggo away.
Have you perused it any further of just struggled on alone?

Charleygirl5 Tue 12-Mar-24 18:52:27

An ulnar nerve decompression is a very simple operation and should relieve you almost instantly.

Please look for an orthopaedic surgeon who only deals with hands and shoulders.