Gransnet forums

Health

Get free shingles jab if you are over 50 years old

(13 Posts)
MarianNicholson Wed 21-Feb-24 16:04:17

Anyone over 50, can get a shingles vaccine by taking part in a ZosterFluCov Trial. I've had the jab within the last 5 years so cannot take part. (If you had it more than 5 yrs ago you can take part.
The study is looking at the safety, as well as the immune responses, when giving the currently approved shingles vaccine (Shingrix) at the same time as either the recommended COVID-19 booster or the influenza (flu) vaccines from the 2023/2024 flu season programme.
You can partake at one of the following sites:
- Guy's and St Thomas' (London)
- St George's (London)
- Sheffield
- Royal United Hospital Bath
- Hull
- South Tees
- Gloucestershire
- Marine Lake (the Wirral)
- Southampton
- Pier Health Group ( Weston-super-Mare)

The ZosterFluCOV study is a collaboration between the University of Bristol and University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust and it is being run by the Bristol Trials Centre.
To find out more, go to zosterflucov.blogs.bristol.ac.uk/

Callistemon21 Wed 21-Feb-24 16:08:29

Is this just in England?

Are they offering the non-live vaccine too?

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 21-Feb-24 16:08:35

Reported

Callistemon21 Wed 21-Feb-24 16:17:16

I don't think it is a scam, it is being run by Bristol Trials Centre but I think it should be pointed out that this is a clinical trial.

bristol-trials-centre.bristol.ac.uk/

welbeck Wed 21-Feb-24 16:29:12

thanks.
that looks interesting.

Marydoll Wed 21-Feb-24 16:48:45

Has this been approved by GNHQ? I can understand why GSM reported it, because they must be approached before posting trials..

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 21-Feb-24 17:11:50

Precisely.

MarianNicholson Wed 21-Feb-24 18:24:26

Sorry, I didn't know it had to be cleared by someone.

All the ingredients are in general use: Shingrix, Covid and flu vaccines. None of these is new. The trial is to see the acceptability of having two jabs at once.

MarianNicholson Wed 21-Feb-24 18:25:08

MarianNicholson

All the ingredients are in general use: Shingrix, Covid and flu vaccines. None of these is new. The trial is to see the acceptability of having two jabs at once.

They really need more people over 70 or over 80 to take part.

Marydoll Wed 21-Feb-24 18:31:35

MarianNicholson

Why don't you contact GNHQ for permission to publicise it?

I had mine recently because I am immunocompromised and had been pestering my clinicians. It was part of an initiative in Glasgow to target people like me. An excellent campaign.

Like every single vaccine I have had, the side effects were horrendous. That will not stop me having the second dose in the summer.

Callistemon21 Wed 21-Feb-24 18:32:08

Marydoll

Has this been approved by GNHQ? I can understand why GSM reported it, because they must be approached before posting trials..

Oops, sorry, I should have realised.

MarianNicholson Wed 21-Feb-24 19:05:26

Where do I find GNHQ? or rather: How do I contact GNHQ? (Again apologies, I haven't used GransNet much at all.)

MarianNicholson Wed 21-Feb-24 19:14:48

Found it!