Gransnet forums

Health

Going abroad for op

(45 Posts)
Nanamary19 Fri 23-Feb-24 16:15:20

Has anyone gone to llithauia for a hip replacement ?
Asking for a friend who without giving it a second thought and without searching for information is seriously thinking about it . 🤔

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 23-Feb-24 16:21:09

Never in a million years!

Shelflife Fri 23-Feb-24 16:23:19

I would strongly advise your friend not to go !

welbeck Fri 23-Feb-24 16:24:19

as so often recently,
i second GSM's wise words.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Feb-24 16:26:15

No no no no no
If anything goes wrong after she returns NHS won’t touch her

keepingquiet Fri 23-Feb-24 16:29:08

No chance

Visgir1 Fri 23-Feb-24 16:30:07

No way...

Nanamary19 Fri 23-Feb-24 16:31:13

Thank you ladies
I as a friend am very concerned for her as she has a few other health issues.

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Feb-24 17:27:24

BlueBelle

No no no no no
If anything goes wrong after she returns NHS won’t touch her

I think they would, but I wouldn't advise doing it.
What is the cost compared with a private operation in the UK? (where, if things go wrong, the NHS has to step in)

I did think of going to Australia for a double knee replacement operation but decided against it.

If you're in pain and your whole life is impacted, the waiting lists here are years long and sometimes people become desperate.

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Feb-24 17:29:34

llithauia

I presume this is Lithuania and not some obscure Welsh hospital?
Waiting lists in Wales are horrendous!

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Feb-24 17:33:16

What is the current waiting time for a hip replacement in England?
18 weeks
This right only applies to patients that receive services commissioned by the NHS in England. The maximum waiting time for a knee and hip replacement is 18 weeks. Your waiting time will start from the time that the hospital receives your referral letter or when you book your first referral appointment through the NHS.6 Mar 2023

🤣🤣🤣

Oh, pull the other one! Ouch, that hurt!!

5 years is more likely here.

Nanamary19 Fri 23-Feb-24 17:43:13

Callistemon21 Yes Lithuania
Sorry for the spelling error

BlueBelle Fri 23-Feb-24 17:45:00

Be aware that if things go wrong abroad, you will usually have to pay for treatment. Follow-up care might not be easily available and may not be covered by the NHS

petra Fri 23-Feb-24 17:47:17

I’ve known about procedures in Lithuania for some time.

Here is an article from The Guardian. It’s good.

www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jan/21/not-medical-tourism-desperation-britons-resort-treatment-abroad

My friend has had several cosmetic procedures done there. She said she wouldn’t hesitate to go again. But she is a person who researches and researches.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Feb-24 18:59:43

Just to say these private clinics overseas do not have any emergency facilities if anything does go wrong
My friend took a bank loan out for £15,000 to have his done privately in the uk ….he’s 80

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Feb-24 20:04:02

BlueBelle

Just to say these private clinics overseas do not have any emergency facilities if anything does go wrong
My friend took a bank loan out for £15,000 to have his done privately in the uk ….he’s 80

That is just so wrong. 😡

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Feb-24 20:07:33

BlueBelle

*Be aware that if things go wrong abroad, you will usually have to pay for treatment. Follow-up care might not be easily available and may not be covered by the NHS*

🤔

If the NGS treats murders, rapists, foreigners who arrive here, people who have had private treatment in the UK, why would they not treat a UK citizen in the unlikely event that they might have post-operative problems after treatment overseas?

Lithuania is not a third-world country and even in third-world countries treatment in private clinics and hospitals is as good as you would find anywhere.

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Feb-24 20:07:47

NHS, sorry

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Feb-24 20:10:08

BlueBelle

So what would have happened had something gone wrong? As it did with my friend at a private hospital here when she got fed up with waiting 4 years for a knee replacement on the NHS.

Casdon Fri 23-Feb-24 20:34:57

There are agreements in place for patients on NHS waiting lists to have treatment in approved hospitals in Europe. I assume your friend is already on an NHS waiting list, she should enquire with her local NHS commissioner if an NHS funded/approved site is available as an alternative to waiting on the list in the UK. If she meets the criteria the NHS will fund her. That’s a much safer and cheaper option than an unregulated operation in Lithuania.
www.nhsinform.scot/care-support-and-rights/health-rights/european-cross-border-healthcare/travelling-to-europe-for-planned-healthcare-the-s2-scheme/

Coolgran65 Fri 23-Feb-24 20:47:10

My friend had a knee replacement done in Lithuana accompanied by her husband. Assisted passengers from UK directly to the hospital. Operation done then to a spa with physio etc. She had a choice of spa, hotel or private apartment. Accommodation and food included. She says it was excellent, ten days. Wouldn't hesitate to return, £8,000 all in. It was recommended to her by a work colleague who had been.

Still don't know that I'd be brave enough. Even though NHS waiting is 5 years in our area.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Feb-24 22:23:21

I only know what happened to someone here and what they were told Callistemon however I do know there are definitely agreements with overseas hospital but this wasn’t one
She found it herself
I agree with your post Casdon I certainly wasn’t knocking other countries healthcare

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Feb-24 22:31:14

I think healthcare in Lithuania, both private and state, probably compares very favourably with the UK.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 24-Feb-24 08:36:26

It’s the plane journey after the op that would worry me. I believe there is a greater chance of thrombosis for some time after an operation. How long would she stay in Lithuania before coming home?

GrandmaKT Sat 24-Feb-24 08:44:23

Can you ask for the operation to be done in another part of the UK? My husband (and a couple of other people I know) was only on the waiting list for 13 weeks for a hip replacement - NW England.