Gransnet forums

Health

Statins

(75 Posts)
kazz94 Thu 29-Feb-24 20:04:04

Anyone on here scared to refuse statins amid pressure from their Gp and getting regular prescriptions and binning them? My partner just told me he does this and I want to know if this is widespread? I have refused them for a multitude of reasons. Is what my partner doing wrong? My gut says yes but would be good to hear opinions

eazybee Thu 29-Feb-24 20:10:55

I would follow the doctor's advice.
If not, be honest; it will show up eventually on blood tests if he doesn't take them.

petra Thu 29-Feb-24 20:11:57

Seriously, a grown mad being afraid to tell a Dr that he’s not going to take a tablet that he doesn’t want 🤷‍♀️

I don’t know how many Drs I’ve told im not taking them
Not one of them took me off their register.

As for picking up tablets and binning them, words fail me. Well they don’t but this is GN.

AlwaysSmiling Thu 29-Feb-24 20:16:35

I am 81 years old and on low dose statins and have been for 30 years and am as fit as anything. No aches and pains whatsoever. I do love my cream cakes and chocolates and by taking the statins it keeps my cholesterol low.

Primrose53 Thu 29-Feb-24 20:18:41

It’s a stupid thing to do but I know several people who have done it.

He should just man up and tell his GP he doesn’t want to take them and to cancel his prescriptions. Statins are very expensive and he is costing the NHS a lot of money.

I was told I needed statins about 20 years ago, read up on them, decided they weren’t for me and told the GP. She said I was “very silly” but in 20 years I have had no problems and I am still here!

Statin threads always go into hundreds of pages on here and heated arguments so that’s all I will say.

Tell him he should grow a pair and see the doctor. It’s his body. 😉

Poppyred Thu 29-Feb-24 20:19:27

I’m not on statins. In Wales we don’t get health checks. Only go to see G.P.if unwell. Haven’t been unwell for years, in fact can’t remember the last time I saw a doctor. However I am 68 years old and supposedly more at risk of stroke etc. Would rather take a statin than have a stroke to be honest.

swampy1961 Thu 29-Feb-24 20:22:27

I was prescribed them but had awful side effects of cognitive issues and thought I was going doolally. The clinical pharmacist agreed that I could stop them for a while - I've just never gone back for more!!

MissInterpreted Thu 29-Feb-24 20:23:53

swampy1961

I was prescribed them but had awful side effects of cognitive issues and thought I was going doolally. The clinical pharmacist agreed that I could stop them for a while - I've just never gone back for more!!

I was the same. I even had a number of falls, which I'm sure were all down to the statins.

Primrose53 Thu 29-Feb-24 20:24:10

With respect this thread is about whether a partner should be binning expensive statins because he can’t bring himself to tell the GP he doesn’t want them. It’s not about who takes them and whether they believe in them or not. 🙂

Theexwife Thu 29-Feb-24 20:25:20

It will be assumed that the Statins are not enough to lower his cholestral which will generate more tests and more medication.

If he doesn’t want to take them then he needs to tell his doctor why he doesn’t and to stop wasting medication.

Jaxjacky Thu 29-Feb-24 20:27:48

Your OH is being daft kazz94 what a waste of money.and effort from the pharmacy.
As others have said he needs to say no if he doesn’t want to take them.
I do take them, my choice.

Poppyred Thu 29-Feb-24 20:33:47

I don’t think statins are expensive? However, he needs to grow a pair and cancel his prescription.

rafichagran Thu 29-Feb-24 20:39:37

I was put on statins, I told the GP I would not be taking them. Had a cholesterol test a week ago and it is going down. Still a bit high though, so I still need to watch what I eat. I have cut down on some things but not stopped eating what I enjoy completly.

Is it the prescription your husband bins or is it the meds?

Sallywally1 Thu 29-Feb-24 20:41:03

The NHS cannot afford this sort of behaviour. If he doesn’t want them he should cancel the prescription. Believe me GPs have heard it all.!

But don’t unnecessarily waste money!

MissInterpreted Thu 29-Feb-24 20:53:02

Primrose53

With respect this thread is about whether a partner should be binning expensive statins because he can’t bring himself to tell the GP he doesn’t want them. It’s not about who takes them and whether they believe in them or not. 🙂

Oh look, it's the thread police! Pardon me for replying to a comment on the thread... angry

Georgesgran Thu 29-Feb-24 20:55:16

I have always refused statins. I have a 16% chance of heart attack or stroke, which, if my maths is correct. an 84% chance of not.
However, while the OP’s chap needs to man-up and speak to his GP, deliberate wasting of medication, irrespective of the cost, is inexcusable.

Jane43 Thu 29-Feb-24 21:20:17

Rather than outright refuse why doesn’t he ask the GP to give him a trial period to reduce his cholesterol levels. My husband did this and the GP gave him three months. He eats oats, uses cholesterol lowering spread, skimmed milk, rarely eats cheese and has a cholesterol drink each morning and his cholesterol is now at an acceptable level. Doctors prescribe statins for a reason and I think it is irresponsible to ignore their advice.

dogsmother Thu 29-Feb-24 22:14:48

If I had consulted my gp and been so advised why on earth go against that? A complete waste of time. If there was a problem then go back and have a further consultation.

Norah Thu 29-Feb-24 22:22:21

This ^^

And, NHS is on shaky ground, don't waste money/resources.

Grandmama Fri 01-Mar-24 17:36:56

There have been previous threads on this. I was reluctant to take statins because so far (75years old) was not taking any medication. GP said it was up to me, told me my QRisk (28%). She referred me to lipid clinic, I probably have inherited high cholesterol because so many sudden deaths in one line of family. Further tests are needed to confirm this so I am taking 20mg daily. My cholesterol has gone down. I have had no side effects apart from wind at first but no wind now. Your partner is wasting NHS resources and difficult to get GP appts. The statins could be life-saving for your partner. He should have a balanced conversation with GP about this.

CaroleAnne Sun 03-Mar-24 11:09:11

Your partner is wasting valuable GP time
If he does not wish to take them then he should say so. Not pretend.

LovelyLady Sun 03-Mar-24 11:09:14

I refused Statins from the Surgery Pharmacist, and the nurse. My surgery is obsessed with prescribing them. All my friends have them and I’m wondering if the GPs get a bonus if you’re diabetic or take statins. Again all my friends are now told they are type 2 diabetic and also advised to take statins. I’m not too sure I trust the surgeries now!

Astitchintime Sun 03-Mar-24 11:19:09

kazz94, if your OH doesn't want to take the medication and is genuinely afraid to tell his GP, he COULD leave them in the pharmacy....that way they can be re-issued.

Binning the medication at home is ridiculous, what a total waste of tax-payers money. Little wonder the NHS is in such a mess.

But I do agree with some others comments, he should grow a pair and talk to his GP if he doesn't want to take the statins; it is his body and he should take some responsibility.

JRTW2 Sun 03-Mar-24 11:19:57

I’m a specialist nurse and it’s a nightmare when you think the statins aren’t working so it throws up extra tests etc. If you doesn’t want to take them just say no thank you.

I’ve seen excellent results with statins. You can do you own Qrisk (chance of heat attack or stroke in next 10 years) and calculate how well you body is ageing by visiting

qrisk.org/

You will need height, BP (including if you’re taking BO meds), cholesterol results and whether a close family member has had a heart attack or stroke under the age of 60. The data is only there between the ages of 25 and 85 though

The total cholesterol result isn’t helpful. You will need the HDL/cholesterol ratio. If you have the HDL , LDL and total result, you can calculate the ratio. Divide the total cholesterol by the HDL

The Qrisk won’t accept decimal points on height and weight so round up or down. There is a few service offering this without appointments in Lambeth. Google Lambeth Wellbeing for details

If you have family history I strongly recommend you take statins. I am normal weight and don’t smoke. I have high cholesterol due to a gene. It’s always worth checking

Barbadosbelle Sun 03-Mar-24 11:20:43

..

And we wonder why the NHS is in such dire financial straits!
Words fail me (beyond that one sentence).

.