Gransnet forums

House and home

Ovens - fan, fan-assisted, multi function???

(30 Posts)
Rosiebee Wed 30-Nov-11 19:57:47

We're having a new kitchen fitted soon, which we're hoping will 'see us out'. I particularly wanted a built in double oven so that I'll no longer have to grovel on the floor when I baste my Sunday roast. I'll stick with gas for the hob but quality built in gas double ovens are really expensive. So we've decided to go with an electric oven but I'm mesmerised by the different types. Has anyone any advice? I've got no experience of fan or fan assisted ovens and so don't know of any advantages or disadvantages. Or if anyone can recommend a make of oven which they've found reliable, that would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Rosie smile

JessM Wed 30-Nov-11 20:25:41

We have a double oven (side by side kind with 6 gas hobs on top). it uses lots of electricity. I try to turn it off when cooking casseroles etc as it is quite well insulated and things will carry on cooking once they are really hot. Look at the energy rating which I guess will relate to how "leaky" they are when it comes to hot air. (Do ovens have energy ratings?)
It is a smeg and it is really smoky. I think i should have read the instruction booklet before using first time. And it fuses the electric circuit quite regularly sad

amysnanna Wed 30-Nov-11 20:34:07

if you can afford it go for a good make multi-function. I like to have the option of fan or conventional oven. Mine is a Neff double oven that I have had 3 years and its great. It was top of the range at the time and I particularly like the easy glide shelf supports, makes basting heavy roasts easier. The doors come off easily for cleaning and the shelf supports too. Apparently they now make oven doors that slide away when you open them.

gracesmum Wed 30-Nov-11 21:43:53

Mine is a range with 4 ovens (2 can double as grills) and I use the fan oven more than the other "multifunction" but what is really useful is the slow oven which uses about the same as a light bulb(they say) and does wonderful casseroles like an electric slow cooker.
But in response to your title and original question - a clean oven is what I would really like.

tanith Wed 30-Nov-11 22:11:37

I have a Bosch multi-functional oven and I love.. the doors all come off for ease of cleaning , both ovens have grill facility and fan assist if you want it I think I use the fan more than any other setting., everything cooks so evenly with the fan assist on.. it also has a defrost setting . I've been really pleased with it.. and as you say no kneeling on the floor to clean ..

Carol Wed 30-Nov-11 22:20:17

Rangemaster range cooker with one fan assist oven with glass door and a full length oven with many racks and a spit, that I can batch bake in. Five hobs on top and a split grill for efficiency. A dream to clean.

harrigran Wed 30-Nov-11 23:35:55

I have two Neff single ovens side by side at eye level. They have the doors that slide away inside, easy to get up close. I like fan ovens but DH prefers conventional, he says it cooks better.. utter tosh.

kittylester Thu 01-Dec-11 10:04:03

I've got a Rangemaster range cooker which has 4 gas rings of various sizes plus a wok ring, a tall electric fan oven (which I try to use most often) a grill and a standard gas oven. It works for me but is absolutely filthy and costs a fortune when I treat myself to having it cleaned!

Annobel Thu 01-Dec-11 11:07:22

Small house, small kitchen, minimal requirements: multi-function Bosch oven and four-ring gas hob. Just right for me.

MrsJamJam Thu 01-Dec-11 11:31:24

My Falcon range cooker has two ovens - one multi function and one fan only. The best things (and I would never want to be without) are the defrost setting, which is brilliant, and the fact that the shelves can be pulled out without tipping for basting etc. Wish I had a glass door.

artygran Thu 01-Dec-11 15:59:47

We have just moved into a house and have inherited a dodgy old fitted double oven that sounds like a tractor and burns things to a crisp. We previously had a Neff eye level double oven with a circotherm fan system and all sorts of other multifunctions. It was wonderful, self cleaning, and never let me down and I can't wait to get my hands on another one. The only thing it didn't have - and I would recommend it in any cooker - is a grill which has a half width function, so you aren't heating the whole grill for, say, one chop or a piece of fish.

Mishap Thu 01-Dec-11 16:01:55

If there are only two of you at home I would not go for a large all-singing all-dancing oven - just a medium sized one with fan assist (although the fan on mine seems to make little difference) for when the family visit.

I do all my cooking in a mini oven and in the Remoska - that way we do not heat up a whole oven for one casserole or whatever and we save on power.

But, do not make my mistake of having the oven down low beneath the hob - I have dreadful trouble getting things out because of my dodgy back.

geekygran Fri 02-Dec-11 14:15:55

IMO, the most important thing to look for is a 'self-cleaning' oven, I think they are called pyrolytic.

JessM Fri 02-Dec-11 14:54:50

I think in the case of mine it means I should turn the heat up to max and fill the house with smoke every so often. See above for the make. I guess Which do reports on these things.

kittylester Fri 02-Dec-11 15:18:13

But, geekygran pyrolitic ovens don't clean the hob or grill!

Pennysue Fri 02-Dec-11 21:55:58

I use a combination oven, 4 ring gas hob - which will shortly be changed to something more economical - and a pressure cooker (which I would not be without).

jingl Fri 02-Dec-11 22:10:52

My old-but-loved oven is conventional (no fan). It doesn't cook quite as quickly as my daughters' fan ovens, but my clothes do not smell of cooking food after doing the Sunday dinner, like theirs' does.

IYSWIM. (it's very badly phrased. never mind) and I don't know if that apostrophe is needed, or not.

petallus Sun 04-Dec-11 11:15:09

We've just had our kitchen refitted (hoping it will see us out) and chose a range-type oven, one normal width with fan etc. and a half width oven without fan and with rotisserie. There are five gas rings on top, one being suitable for a wok. It's a CDA in stainless steel. I find having a half width oven quite good for saving on electricity. I seem to use it most of the time instead of the full width one. I really like this oven.

dahlia Mon 05-Dec-11 15:03:04

Have used fan ovens since they first came out, and now possess a Neff double oven (bottom with fan, top smaller oven non-fan but has grill) and I absolutely love it.
Always cooked with gas, but since moving out of town and having no gas supply run in, moved onto electricity using induction hob and have never looked back. Even faster to control than a gas ring, super to keep clean and pretty wonderful in every way!

Rosiebee Tue 06-Dec-11 21:01:17

Thanks for all your thoughts. We went to an amazing place called 'Built in Appliances' in Liverpool. We must have been there for nearly two hours. DH swears it was nearer to three. It's enormous and has a fantastic range of 'white goods' - built in and freestanding. If you live in the Northwest it's really worth the trip there. They have every make you can think of including Rangemaster and Aga plus ones I hadn't heard of. Quite a few special offers around.
Eventually I decided on a Neff multi function double oven and a Bosch hob The top oven is conventional and has a grill. Can't remember if you can use half of it. Let DH choose the sink and taps as that's his area. He refuses to contemplate a dishwasher. Also got quite a stylish glass cooker hood and splash back.
Kitchen isn't happening until mid Feb as we're having a 'Big Trip' in January. Have already started sorting out cupboards. Not sure if I'm most excited about trip or kitchen. Lucky girl!!
Rosie

Rosiebee Mon 05-Mar-12 17:07:34

Have now cooked two Sunday Roasts in the new Neff cooker. I kept to Delia's timings, just adjusting the temperatures. Great results. I'm really impressed. My DH did not have such success when I went away for the weekend. Being a man, he didn't read the instruction booklet which I had left him and managed to burn his steak pie by turning the top oven to 'Grill'. After that I think he turned to the microwave. I love my new kitchen, especially the high level cooker. The light stays on while the food is being cooked and it's brilliant being able to keep an eye on the food without grovelling on the floor.
I am that 'Happy Bunny'. grin

Shamina Mon 09-Oct-17 07:33:46

In addition to cookers and ovens, every kitchen needs an electric wok if you really want to make good stir-fry dishes. I am sure if you get one of the Top 6 best electric woks, you will really like it. Remember, before you buy anything it is good to check the reviews of a particular product and the seller so as you don't end up regretting.

whitewave Mon 09-Oct-17 09:53:03

Mines a Neff had it for a year ~splendid

callgirl1 Mon 09-Oct-17 17:32:56

The only thing I don`t like about my new kitchen is the fact that the grill is now inside the oven. I`ve had a couple of near misses with things setting on fire under the grill, so have invested in a George Foreman, but me and George still haven`t come to an understanding regarding sausages and the charring of!

Mapleleaf Tue 10-Oct-17 20:05:06

Mine is a gorenje double oven. The top oven is smaller, houses the grill and is not fan assisted. The lower oven is lager and fan assisted. ( Though there is the option to not use the fan). I tend to use the smaller oven the most often, but it's handy having both. Easy to keep clean. Happy with it.