Gransnet forums

House and home

Non iron duvet covers.

(57 Posts)
supermum48 Sat 23-Jun-12 18:02:14

Can anybody recommend a non iron duvet cover that really is non iron? I want to be able to machine wash, tumble dry and put straight back on the bed.

kittylester Sat 23-Jun-12 21:17:09

I read once that Jackie Kennedy had her stockings ironed! confused

Nonu Sat 23-Jun-12 22:02:05

Thoughfully , do anyone really iron their duvet covers , what a total , total waste of time get a life

j04 Sat 23-Jun-12 22:07:22

Oh but I love walking into my bedroom during the day and seeing a nice fresh, smooth bed. It's a small pleasure but definitely a part of my life.

j04 Sat 23-Jun-12 22:07:46

'get a life' is a silly phrase.

Anagram Sat 23-Jun-12 22:14:19

Commenting negatively on other posters' choice of phrase is rude.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 23-Jun-12 22:15:22

It may be silly j04, but we all know what it means! I like to see a fresh, smooth bed too, but as far as I can see, that means one where the quilt has been pulled up and smoothed by hand, and by the time that is done, it doesn't seem to me to matter if the cover has been ironed or not. Perhaps the beauty of a bed, like that of a person, is in the eye of the beholder,and so it's just as well that we all have different tastes.

j04 Sat 23-Jun-12 22:20:07

I hate the phrase 'get a life'. It's nasty. And sounds it.

Goodnight. smile

Ariadne Sun 24-Jun-12 06:57:40

I have to say that any new duvet covers I buy will be some sort of polycotton; these cotton ones (white with dark Blu flowers) are lovely but come out of the washing machine very, very creased.

granjura Sun 24-Jun-12 12:16:23

Nonu - yes it is rude. And I can assure you that despite enjoying the luxury of crisp, good quality cotton sheets and covers, ironed - I do have a life - a very interesting one, actually. Cheers smile

Annobel Sun 24-Jun-12 12:28:13

I do as little ironing as possible and as seldom as possible. But each to her own. If you feel the need to iron bedding, so what? It's nobody's business but your own. And it's my business if I prefer not to.

glammanana Sun 24-Jun-12 12:28:24

I also like to see the bedding looking crisp and tidy,I tend to leave my bedding in the washing machine when the fabric conditioner has gone through and leave it to soak for a while it not only smells nice but it seems to help with the creases,on a slightly differant note but still on bedding I got the bargain of a lifetime in a local Charity shop on Wednesday the girls in the shop where just pricing up some bedding and they had a collection of new quilts and pillow cases which had been donated from a family who where emigrating and I picked up a Kingsize quilt cover and 4 pillow cases all new and in their packaging from M&S all white embroidered absolutley fantastic all for the price of £5.00 that must have been my bargain of a life-time just what I was looking for,so I have just ordered the valence sheet on line with a 20% discount so I will have a fully fitted set for next to nothing.smile

Annobel Sun 24-Jun-12 12:35:26

glamma smile

Annobel Sun 24-Jun-12 12:40:50

We had this discussion last September and I said this then:

"Does anyone else remember Shirley Conran's seminal work of 1975, 'Superwoman'? It's sub-titled 'Everywoman's book of Household Management'. In it she tells us: 'The secret of ironing is to avoid it' and 'DON'T iron pyjamas or nightclothes (smooth and fold them)..teatowels, pillowcases or sheets'. This advice I have followed assiduously for 36 years and see no reason ever to reject it."

nelliedeane Sun 24-Jun-12 12:41:49

Oh glamma envy I absolutely love a bargain sunshine

jeni Sun 24-Jun-12 12:56:29

I had one cleaner who had OCD, she even ironed my husbands underpants! It's a good job I did the washing or everything would have been stiffly starched as well!

glammanana Sun 24-Jun-12 12:56:47

nellieannobel I am still in shock at the bargain I got I keep going to the laundry basket and making sure it is still there and not a figment of my imagination.smileOnly thing is it will be a nightmare to iron with all the cut out lace detail on it but I don't care every time I press it I will think "it's worth it".

j04 Sun 24-Jun-12 13:40:33

I have to iron DH's pj's. Not that he cares, but I worry they wouldn't be comfortable. hmm

Libradi Sun 24-Jun-12 13:45:12

I don't iron a lot of things but I love to see a nice ironed duvet cover, I suppose it depends on you cover but mine always look awful unless they've been ironed.

whitewave Sun 24-Jun-12 13:47:09

No problem with PJs - don't wear 'em. But if I had loads of money and staff I would have my bedding changed every day oh the bliss of clean sheets!

DavidH22 Sun 24-Jun-12 13:56:46

Ironing? What's that?

Bez Sun 24-Jun-12 14:16:47

I must admit to ironing my tea towels too- hate the edges curled under and they never sit properly in the drawer unless ironed.

granjura Sun 24-Jun-12 15:33:53

j04 - can't he iron his own? LOL. I am so grateful to my mil for teaching hime to do minor repairs and his own ironing. I always did his ironing when we were working, because his hours were soooo long- but now we are retired he offered to do his own - hurrah. At least these days he doesn't have 1 formal shirt per day!

Annobel Sun 24-Jun-12 15:51:45

My DS1, whose chef's whites I used to iron for him in his late teens, has turned into a model 'new man'. He irons his own shirts - not sure he trusts his wife though she always looks immaculate. DS2 takes over the ironing when his partner looks as if she's running out of steam - not literally, though they do have one of those fancy steam systems that makes very vulgar noises. I don't think all this has anything to do with the way I brought them up, more likely the influence of their partners. Relationships are far more of a partnership than they were 'in my day'.

jeni Sun 24-Jun-12 15:59:53

My husband always ironed hid own trousers as he said I put tramlines in them.
Dear reader, I let himgrin

Wheniwasyourage Sun 24-Jun-12 16:12:30

Bez, I iron tea towels too, and they do indeed fit into the drawer more neatly. However, I think that the real reason I iron them is that I remember being told as a Brownie learning First Aid that a tea towel was handy for accidents in the kitchen as it would be clean if it had been ironed and could be used for stopping bleeding or covering a burn. So far, touch wood, I haven't had to prove it, but just like the Famous Five, I am ready to cope! Actually, we were also told that the inside pages of an unread newspaper would be sterile because of the heat involve in the printing process - just shows you haw long ago it was!