Gransnet forums

House and home

Making tea in my bedroom

(64 Posts)
anneey Tue 07-Feb-17 20:43:49

I have just bought a travel kettle, with the intention of making tea in my bedroom....... My problem is that I dont have mains water upstairs. Is it unhealthy to use water from the tank and boil well?
I don't relish the thought of carrying fresh water upstairs every night. Especially as I might not want tea. Depends on my mood?
Any ideas Please?

downtoearth Tue 07-Feb-17 20:48:10

Bottled water on hand for when you need it might be one option?brew

Coolgran65 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:49:45

I brush my teeth with tap water from upstairs. I sometimes gargle etc.

If not mains water I suppose we shouldn't drink it.
There used to be random stories about dead animals in water tanks and such.

In practice, I wonder who many of us go ahead and drink it.

Ana Tue 07-Feb-17 20:59:41

Are you in the UK, anneey?

We have a combi boiler so no tank, but in the past everyone had one and surely we all cleaned our teeth and got a drink of water etc from the bathroom at night? confused

Charleygirl Tue 07-Feb-17 21:02:39

I have a tank, brush my teeth etc and I am still alive. I would fill the kettle downstairs before I went to bed and then you have water in the morning. That is what I have done yonks ago when I fancied coffee in bed.

Linsco56 Tue 07-Feb-17 21:05:05

Just think of the generations who didn't have the luxury of bottled water and drank tap water carried into the home via lead pipes.

Charleygirl Tue 07-Feb-17 21:07:34

I have never used bottled water in my entire life. To me it is a waste of money.

wot Tue 07-Feb-17 22:08:58

You can get large bottles (2litres?) Of still water in Tescos or Lidls for 17pence.

wot Tue 07-Feb-17 22:09:50

Our tap water smells/tastes of bleach so I use a filter jug.

Ana Tue 07-Feb-17 22:11:44

I'm still confused about the upstairs/downstairs water...confused

downtoearth Tue 07-Feb-17 22:12:46

Suggested bottled water as OP didn't want to carry fresh water upstairs and wasn't sure about using g water from tank

Linsco56 Tue 07-Feb-17 22:24:52

I think I'm correct in saying water drawn from any tap in the house be it upstairs or downstairs is taken straight from the rising main unless you use the hot tap and then water will be taken from the tank.

notnecessarilywiser Tue 07-Feb-17 22:38:58

Sorry, Linsco - if you have a cold water tank (usually in the attic) then any water drawn from a tap other than the kitchen one will have spent time in that tank. If you have no cold water tank then all your taps are fed from the mains and therefore safe to drink. Hot water tank irrelevant to this enquiry!

FarNorth Tue 07-Feb-17 22:41:50

anneey is going to boil the water, for tea. wouldn't that make it safe?

I always wonder about the tea & coffee facilities in hotels as one usually fills the kettle from the tap in the ensuite. Or do other people not do that?

FarNorth Tue 07-Feb-17 22:43:35

OP could just fill a bottle, maybe a glass one to avoid possible taste of plastic, from the kitchen tap to keep ready for use.

cornergran Tue 07-Feb-17 23:27:21

When we lived in a house we had a kettle upstairs for the morning tea using bottled water. Guests had their own upstairs kettle and bottled water, it worked for us. Now we live in a bungalow we walk across the hall smile.

Linsco56 Tue 07-Feb-17 23:42:06

Ah! we have a combi boiler therefore no storage tank and all cold water comes from the rising main.
The DWI (drinking water inspectorate) do not recommend drinking hot water or water that has been stored in a tank in the loft as it is not as fresh or as safe as water directly from the mains.

anneey Wed 08-Feb-17 02:12:31

Just spoke to a friend..... She reminded me that there could possibly be a dead animal in the tank ..... a rat, mouse or even a pidgeon. That has turned me right off.
Next time there is a man in my loft, I will ask him to check the tank, and make sure it is covered.

phoenix Wed 08-Feb-17 02:56:08

What a palaver! You will need a mug/ cup, tea bag, milk, (if you take it) spoon to squeeze the tea bag, you will then have to cart it all downstairs, is it really worth it?

suzied Wed 08-Feb-17 05:45:58

Unless you live in a draughty mansion or castle, I can't see it's a huge problem to go and make your cuppa in the kitchen and carry it back to bed ( with a plate of toast too).

Bellasnana Wed 08-Feb-17 06:13:20

I've got a Teasmade. In our last house we had a lot of stairs so it was rather nice to have a cup of tea without having to trot all the way down to the kitchen. We used to take a tray up with mugs and the teapot filled with tap water from the kitchen. The tea bags etc were kept upstairs so it wasn't really a palaver.

Now I've moved and it's all on one floor so the Teasmade is redundant.

I wouldn't use bathroom tap water though, just because we were always taught not to for whatever reason.

Nelliemoser Wed 08-Feb-17 07:17:34

Bellasnan we had a teasmaid for years. Ours finally died and as we were retired it was not worth replacing it.

When I was working the TM went off as my alarm clock and the tea mashed while I was showering so I could the just take the pot of tea downstairs ready to pour. It saved a good few minutes on my way out of the house.

JackyB Wed 08-Feb-17 07:33:45

Why can't you take the water up from the kitchen the night before? You're only going to make one or two cups, so it's not a huge amount of water you're carrying. If you half fill a used water or juice bottle, you have enough water, and it's easy enough to carry, and you can't spill any.

Nain9bach Wed 08-Feb-17 09:58:10

Buy a small flask. Keeps the water hot. Safe to carry about. Job done.

boggles Wed 08-Feb-17 10:10:54

Flask ??