Gransnet forums

House and home

small bathroom, new build soon, no storage at all

(44 Posts)
craftyone Tue 19-Mar-19 08:29:48

The kitchen is sorted, mentally at least but the bathroom needs thinking about. I have good storage here but am going to a new build without a single cupboard either in bathroom or en suite. They are both small as in enough room for the shower/bath/loo/washbasin/heated towel rail. They each have a small window and a cill

There are sockets for electric toothbrushes, no where to stand the chargers. No towel hanger or loo roll holder, so I bought free standing ones, the most compact I could find. I am hoping you come up with good ideas, like you did for the kitchen

Bear in mind that I am widowed, older, can use a drill if needs must but would prefer an easy fix

jusnoneed Tue 19-Mar-19 08:37:38

Do you have enough space under the basin for a cupboard, you can buy freestanding ones that allow for pipework.

bikergran Tue 19-Mar-19 08:42:39

bought a new build 19 yrs ago very small bathroom (still not sorted a toilet roll holder) lol must get my skates on hmm

bikergran Tue 19-Mar-19 08:44:17

I do have a towel rail (argos) that it screwed onto the wall above the radiator, its ok as it warms the towels, its chrome (has never rusted) its like a wavey design.not sure if they still sell them, but holds a few towels.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 19-Mar-19 08:45:06

Annoying, isn't it, Craftyone? My house is five years old and also has a lack of storage. Recently I had the sinks changed to vanity units so that there is storage underneath but it's still a bit poky and has solved the problem reasonably well.
I can only suggest shelving. I've seen some which literally just lean against a wall but of course space is still required for them.
I'm not a violent woman but really, these people who expect us to live in shoe-boxes should be rounded up and given a jolly good talking to. And a thump.

GrandmaMoira Tue 19-Mar-19 08:47:22

I have the charger for the electric toothbrush in my bedroom. I've never seen a socket in a bathroom for an electric toothbrush - obviously something I've missed!

PamelaJ1 Tue 19-Mar-19 08:54:34

My toothbrush charger is an integral part of my bathroom cabinet above the sink.
You would have to get in an electrician to fix it.

jeanie99 Tue 19-Mar-19 09:17:41

Under basin storage with worktop is a must for all our personnel items. Could you have one fitted at all.
If you have a fully tilled bathroom it will be a problem with the recharger.
If you have a socket in one of your kitchen cupboards I'd use that. You don't have to leave them on charge all the time they last for a few days.
Do you have an airing cupboard, could that be utilised for anything.
It's difficult to give advice without photos of the rooms that are an issue.

Cherrytree59 Tue 19-Mar-19 09:40:36

Could you pop along to Ikea.

Not necessarily to buy anything, just to check out their mock up rooms for small spaces.
Including a bathroom set up.

Ikea are quite innovative with their ideas and understand that living spaces for varuous reason are becoming much smaller.

Esspee Tue 19-Mar-19 09:48:14

I have a tall mirrored cabinet fixed diagonally in a corner. Works as a full length mirror and a cabinet. Would that work?

jusnoneed Tue 19-Mar-19 10:08:14

I have a minute shower room/ loo (the shower was originally the pantry) and we put narrow shelving up the wall above the hand basin, but rather than use wood we had glass cut to size and edges smoothed. Keeps it looking lighter in the limited space. Makes you keep it tidy too! lol

Greyduster Tue 19-Mar-19 10:55:18

We had the sink in our ensuite changed to a vanity unit with a full sized ceramic sink top. The cupboard holds quite a lot more than I thought it would! I have seen a sort of wrap around chrome wire unit that fits around a sink pedestal to hold all sorts of bits and pieces. As Cherry says, Ikea usually have good storage ideas too.

Willow500 Tue 19-Mar-19 11:04:18

We've just renovated a bungalow with small bathroom and en-suite. Both sinks have vanity units below but with the exception of the towel racks in both and towel rail in the main bathroom all the other fittings are the suction type. They need a smooth surface but do stay put for a long time. I have also had to get free standing toilet roll holders as there is nowhere to put these on the walls - Dunelm had a choice of a few. If you don't have a vanity unit you can get a rack that goes underneath the sink around the pedestal. I personally don't like clutter so have to try and keep everything on display to a minimum - I charge the toothbrush in the bedroom then put it away.

Try looking on Pinterest - there are quite a lot of ideas for small bathrooms/kitchens.

craftyone Tue 19-Mar-19 11:30:20

ooh thanks, that was quick. The toothbrush charger plugs into a 2 pin shaver socket and I have seen one there. The undersink storage, oh yes, never thought about that. Going to ikea, another yes, anyway I can eat lunch there, its 30 miles away. Pinterest will be googled next and I will look at corner cabinets too. I have seen the actual rooms a few times but next time will be when I have moved. I am sitting on hands right now but will be able to measure properly when I am in. It is always off putting when I have a builder person trailing after me

Me too, I don`t want to much on show, cupboards are best for me. Looks as though I will be keeping stuff in a wardrobe until I am down to bare minimum, serves me right for being tempted by multi offers in the past. All those tepi brushes, tooth brush heads, just in case medicines, soaps etc. At least I will be moving very close to shops and won`t need to have all this `just in case` stuff put by

Greyduster Tue 19-Mar-19 12:37:26

Craftyone you sound like my DH, with his plethora of dental doodahs, bogofs, “these were a bargain”, etc, so the capacious undersink cupboard is currently bursting at the seams. I’m sure - I hope - you have more self-control!?

chelseababy Tue 19-Mar-19 12:54:49

Just seen a thread on The Organised Mum Method about small ensures - lots of good ideas including a "cloud" loo roll storage which fixes to wall.

paddyann Tue 19-Mar-19 14:16:56

why not ask the builder to put storage in for you,most companies are happy to customise things to suit you .Enjoy your new home and have many happy years and times ther.

Farmor15 Tue 19-Mar-19 14:21:30

Ikea have very good holders for a variety of things, using strong suction pads that can be used on tiles, so no need for drill. Lots of other ideas too, as other have said, though you need to allow enough time to spend the day there!

phoenix Tue 19-Mar-19 14:39:15

I went to Ikea on Sunday (my first time!) very impressed with a lot of their ideas, especially the ones for small spaces.

DoraMarr Tue 19-Mar-19 15:00:22

I have this in my shower enclosure but you could use it on any wall:
www.amazon.co.uk/Command-BATH31-SN-ES-Shower-1-Caddy-Water-Resistant/dp/B01MYQ9ESM/ref=sr_1_5?s=gateway&crid=16IMHGNT90YAM&keywords=command+shower+caddy+with+water-resistant+strips&sprefix=Command+shower+caddy%2Caps%2C166&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1553004962&sr=8-5
You could use it to hold your electric toothbrush etc. They do clear plastic caddies too, which are cheaper.
I can’t use a drill, so I rely on self- stick products. Command are good because they do stick, and stay stuck. They also do an amazing variety of hooks and knobs which will stick on any flat surface, and you can, apparently, take them off again without damaging the wall.
Good luck in your new home!

aggie Tue 19-Mar-19 15:06:51

I would ask the builder to swop the wash hand basin for a vanity unit , he could do it neatly and quickly . If he is hovering he is anxious to please

craftyone Tue 19-Mar-19 15:52:48

Thanks,more good ideas and most definitely a day trip to ikea armed with a notebook. I am writing your ideas in it now. I am glad I asked and have put organised mum in my favourites, to watch later

Synonymous Tue 19-Mar-19 16:04:03

DD learnt a valuable lesson from her new neighbours who insisted that the builders put in a sink unit of their own choice which had a vanity unit including drawers and cupboards. The neighbours slso made the builders put in all kinds of fittings of their choice, no carpets or paths, lawn etc and negotiated a handsome reduction. If not too late then get your negotiating hat on!

They don't use or even make space like they used to even in the 70s. Our bungalow was built with large bathroom cabinets within the bathroom walls over the sinks. On his first stay after we had moved in DGS was so excited when he discovered a secret cupboard in his bathroom and rushed to tell me of his 'find' behind the mirrors. grin

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Mar-19 16:31:16

Yes, a vanity unit would be useful and do you have space for a cupboard over the sink, not so deep that you will bang your head on it, but sufficient to take toothbrush, spare shampoo etc and that will incorporate the shaver socket? Preferably with mirror doors to save space and/or corner cupboards?

Our downstairs loo is small gut we have a vanity unit which is sufficient to hold spare soap, cleaning products and lots of spare toilet rolls.
Can you get the radiator changed for a towel radiator?

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Mar-19 16:32:06

Not gut - but!